Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lake Ice as of 3/22 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26852)

Blue Thunder 03-22-2021 01:01 PM

Lake Ice as of 3/22

1 Attachment(s)
Today’s MODIS satellite photo. Very good clarity due to clear dry conditions.

lakershaker 03-22-2021 02:42 PM

If I squint I can make the areas around Rattlesnake and West Alton look dark grey... Fingers crossed the next few days of strong sun and warmth do their work!

steve-on-mark 03-22-2021 07:22 PM

Damn you, Sebago!!!:)

Blue Thunder 03-23-2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 352572)
Damn you, Sebago!!!:)

I’ll take that as a compliment!!

steve-on-mark 03-23-2021 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 352582)
I’ll take that as a compliment!!

Who's jealous???? ME!!!!!! :)

mishman 03-23-2021 06:14 PM

Why Sebago ice free?

OK I have to ask - why the big difference between Sebago Lake and Winning? Hard to believe they get very different temperatures. Any idea? I'm curious.

farechofisherman 03-23-2021 06:26 PM

Sebago

Sebago doesn't freeze because of it's depth. About twice as deep as Winni.

Blue Thunder 03-23-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishman (Post 352610)
OK I have to ask - why the big difference between Sebago Lake and Winning? Hard to believe they get very different temperatures. Any idea? I'm curious.

Sebago is much deeper (316 feet) and Big Bay is a very wide open area. It rarely freezes these days. Maybe 3 out of every 10 years. The years it does freeze we get ice out within 3 or 4 days of Winnipesaukee.

Kerk 03-24-2021 12:14 PM

Lake

A couple of windy days will help the ice out time table speed up !JM2CW

Mink Islander 03-24-2021 12:26 PM

The ice is darkening....

1 Attachment(s)
Still some weeks to go, but all we need is warm, wind and wet to accelerate us into ice-out!

And btw, full lake can be gauged by the side boards on the dock — when full, the water touches the bottom of the dock board. More than a foot to go, but we should see the lake fill in the next few weeks.

MAXUM 03-24-2021 02:07 PM

Emmerson posted a couple pix from a fly over yesterday on their FB page.

TiltonBB 03-25-2021 05:57 AM

Emerson: Two to Three Weeks for Ice Out

Based on the observations made by Emerson’s pilots ice-out is not expected to occur for another two, 2½, or three weeks

From the Laconia Sun

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...3ddfbbfd9.html

winterh 03-25-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerk (Post 352670)
A couple of windy days will help the ice out time table speed up !JM2CW

This time of year I am looking for that delicate balance between wind and ice out. Wind helps get to ice out quicker (great thing) but increases the chances of my dock getting destroyed (bad thing)

WinnisquamZ 03-25-2021 10:06 AM

That would be nerve wreaking

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

codeman671 03-25-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterh (Post 352705)
This time of year I am looking for that delicate balance between wind and ice out. Wind helps get to ice out quicker (great thing) but increases the chances of my dock getting destroyed (bad thing)

It looks like some wind is coming tomorrow. It will help, but really need a bit more cracking and melting before the wind will really make an impact.

barefootbay 03-25-2021 05:22 PM

I’m guessing two weeks .

Winilyme 03-25-2021 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 352706)
That would be nerve wreaking

Don't worry W-Z. That one didn't go over my head. :laugh:

steve-on-mark 03-25-2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winilyme (Post 352727)
Don't worry W-Z. That one didn't go over my head. [emoji23]

Nor mine...but the older I get, the quicker I am to forgive![emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Leoskeys 03-26-2021 12:07 PM

How is Lily Pond in Gilford doing with its melting? Usually 7-10 days after ice out of Lily is Winni!

AC2717 03-26-2021 12:36 PM

on the anchor marine cam in Paugus bay it's foggy out there, but seems like the ice is very black and thin, can barely see it

https://www.anchormarine.net/cam/index.html

RoBe 03-27-2021 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Large area of open water off Ellacoya appeared this morning. Early ice out this year...

daveschappell 03-27-2021 08:47 AM

Photos yesterday and today looking toward Parker Island from Wolfeboro Neck

2 Attachment(s)
Fantastic improvement in the ratio of ice:water :-)

This is looking at Parker Island/Rattlesnake Island from Wolfeboro Neck. First photo was approx 6pm on March 26th and second was 9am on March 27th.

PS Does anyone else think that the cracks in the ice on the first photo bear a resemblance to Alfred Hitchcock?

steve-on-mark 03-27-2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveschappell (Post 352822)
fantastic improvement in the ratio of ice:water :-)

this is looking at parker island/rattlesnake island from wolfeboro neck. First photo was approx 6pm on march 26th and second was 9am on march 27th.

Ps does anyone else think that the cracks in the ice on the first photo bear a resemblance to alfred hitchcock?

well now that you mention it! Good evening!

MeredithMan 03-27-2021 09:54 AM

looking dark grey/green in Meredith...

1 Attachment(s)
...looking across Meredith Bay this morning...

jeffk 03-28-2021 05:56 AM

An inch of rain today, high winds Monday, and another inch of rain on Wednesday/Thursday will certainly eat away at the ice. How much? That's one of the ice out mysteries. Friday+, quieter and cooler weather for a while.

thinkxingu 03-28-2021 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk (Post 352840)
An inch of rain today, high winds Monday, and another inch of rain on Wednesday/Thursday will certainly eat away at the ice. How much? That's one of the ice out mysteries. Friday+, quieter and cooler weather for a while.

And how much to the water level. I know the chart shows we're just a bit lower than average, but I don't ever remember it being as low as it is now a month before opening day at our camp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

fatlazyless 03-28-2021 07:03 AM

So ...... the body of a 41-year old Irish woman from Lowell, Ma was recently recovered from under the ice in Lake Ossipee in the Town of Ossipee by the Fish & Game dive team. She was walking her dog, a German shepherd, that is still missing.

When you fall through while walking, probably you just walk onto thin ice, like maybe one half inch thick that actually looks like strong ice, and crash through it in a very fast, split second. Maybe hitting your head on the ice as you go through and just making a small two foot x one foot opening in the ice, big enough to slide down through the ice into that shocking cold water, below.

It all probably happens very fast, and maybe you are dead drowned so fast you never really know what's happening.

Is a very sad unhappy event for the individual person and extended family.

tis 03-28-2021 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 352842)
So ...... the body of a 41-year old Irish woman from Lowell, Ma was recently recovered from under the ice in Lake Ossipee in the Town of Ossipee by the Fish & Game dive team. She was walking her dog, a German shepherd, that is still missing.

When you fall through while walking, probably you just walk onto thin ice, like maybe one half inch thick that actually looks like strong ice, and crash through it in a very fast, split second. Maybe hitting your head on the ice as you go through and just making a small two foot x one foot opening in the ice, big enough to slide down through the ice into that shocking cold water, below.

It all probably happens very fast, and maybe you are dead drowned so fast you never really know what's happening.

Is a very sad unhappy event for the individual person and extended family.

The family says the dog was also found with her.

sum-r breeze 03-29-2021 08:51 AM

Lily Pond

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoskeys (Post 352787)
How is Lily Pond in Gilford doing with its melting? Usually 7-10 days after ice out of Lily is Winni!

Lily Pond was ice free as of 6 AM this morning. We may have another week for Winni to clear out

GTO 03-29-2021 05:06 PM

All clear

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 352826)
...looking across Meredith Bay this morning...

Meredith Bay is clear of ice as far out as you can see. Drove by at 6 tonight

AC2717 03-30-2021 07:51 AM

any new satellite photo after yesterdays awesome display of wind

Blue Thunder 03-30-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 352937)
any new satellite photo after yesterdays awesome display of wind

Yesterday’s photo wasn’t good enough to show anything. I’ll check it again today.

Blue Thunder 03-30-2021 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 352941)
Yesterday’s photo wasn’t good enough to show anything. I’ll check it again today.

Today’s photo. Looks like lots of open water but still some ice in Alton Bay.
FWIW, ice out was declared on Sebago Lake yesterday, 3/29.

AC2717 03-30-2021 02:33 PM

looks like paugus still might get beat up with the wind and ice
already substantial damage in the bay from yesterday

WinnisquamZ 03-30-2021 02:36 PM

Thought I heard a fly over this afternoon?

codeman671 03-30-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 352947)
Thought I heard a fly over this afternoon?

No chance of calling ice out today.

WinnisquamZ 03-30-2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 352948)
No chance of calling ice out today.

Tomorrow, maybe

codeman671 03-30-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 352949)
Tomorrow, maybe

Center Harbor shows quite a bit out front blocking the Mount in. I'm no expert but it could be a few days. I can make it from Gilford to Bear so its ice-out for me!

WinnisquamZ 03-30-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 352950)
Center Harbor shows quite a bit out front blocking the Mount in. I'm no expert but it could be a few days. I can make it from Gilford to Bear so its ice-out for me!

Congratulations. Have a safe season

MAXUM 03-30-2021 05:07 PM

Quote:

Did that trip today out of Glendale, there is still quite a bit of ice out there in spots, probably the biggest concern is when what's left of the ice starts to get loose and flow out into already cleared areas.

Lots of ice bergs.... be careful if you go.

Absolutely beautiful day today.

MAXUM 03-30-2021 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From this morning

steve-on-mark 03-30-2021 06:17 PM

Quote:

I might be out there as well...I'll blow the louder horn if I see you![emoji6]

codeman671 03-30-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 352954)
I might be out there as well...I'll blow the louder horn if I see you![emoji6]

Waiting to see if WOW has the pontoon in the water for Saturday. Hopefully will take run. Can’t launch the Eastern until my dock goes in.

steve-on-mark 03-30-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 352955)
Waiting to see if WOW has the pontoon in the water for Saturday. Hopefully will take run. Can’t launch the Eastern until my dock goes in.

Well if you need anything let me know.

CooperS7777 03-30-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 352946)
looks like paugus still might get beat up with the wind and ice
already substantial damage in the bay from yesterday

I'm on pins and needles waiting for it to clear out; I've got neighbors on both sides who have had pretty substantial damage this season. My fingers will be crossed for a couple of warm, windless days to clear out Paugus!

TiltonBB 03-31-2021 06:07 AM

Almost there

The Laconia Sun says ice out will be in the next few days.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...bbf3887e9.html

AC2717 03-31-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CooperS7777 (Post 352960)
I'm on pins and needles waiting for it to clear out; I've got neighbors on both sides who have had pretty substantial damage this season. My fingers will be crossed for a couple of warm, windless days to clear out Paugus!

we have some piling damage for now, hoping that is it, luckily it should not affect dock usage until we can get watermark to redrive them. Call is already in

CooperS7777 03-31-2021 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 352965)
we have some piling damage for now, hoping that is it, luckily it should not affect dock usage until we can get watermark to redrive them. Call is already in

Glad to hear! They just drove a handful of new pilings for me the end of last season, and I’m ~75% of the way done totally rebuilding mine. Hoping to not take a step backward!!

Fishinfergy 03-31-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 352965)

Are you located down the lakeport end towards watermark?

AC2717 03-31-2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishinfergy (Post 352974)
Are you located down the lakeport end towards watermark?

no, just past margate, when heading up to the weirs with the water on your left

erick26 04-02-2021 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 352958)
Well if you need anything let me know.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0241f60e64.jpg
This morning in CH. clear to the mount (off pic to right). Hope those guys are dressed warm [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatlazyless 04-03-2021 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 352843)

Apparently this woman who broke through the Lake Ossipee ice while out walking her German shepherd was a tall 5'11" very attractive blonde woman, Sinead Lyons, a 41-year old Irish national, so that makes it like a double disaster. If you see her photos, she looks like a strikingly good look'n tall blonde model. Is so very sad.

erick26 04-03-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erick26 (Post 353084)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0241f60e64.jpg
This morning in CH. clear to the mount (off pic to right). Hope those guys are dressed warm [emoji15]

What a difference a day makes - CH mostly clear of ice https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7cf740813c.jpg

fatlazyless 04-11-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 352843)

Today's April 11 www.wmur.com has a short video report "Dog belonging to woman found dead in Ossipee Lake recovered by Fish and Game" that reports the dog, a German shepherd was found by the NH F&G yesterday, Saturday April 10, using a remote underwater apparatus operated from a boat up on the surface of the lake.

Is astounding to me that a German shepherd could not save itself by using its dog survival skills to get itself out of the iced over lake. The German shepherd is a very capable breed, have a lot of endurance and ability to survive in water that's 34-degrees, cold, for a lot longer than a person.

With all four legs to put to use, couldn't it place the front legs up on the ice, and swim kick itself up and onto the more safe ice and struggle its way back.

tis 04-11-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 353513)
Today's April 11 www.wmur.com has a short video report "Dog belonging to woman found dead in Ossipee Lake recovered by Fish and Game" that reports the dog, a German shepherd was found by the NH F&G yesterday, Saturday April 10, using a remote underwater apparatus operated from a boat up on the surface of the lake.

Is astounding to me that a German shepherd could not save itself by using its dog survival skills to get itself out of the iced over lake. The German shepherd is a very capable breed, have a lot of endurance and ability to survive in water that's 34-degrees, cold, for a lot longer than a person.

With all four legs to put to use, couldn't it place the front legs up on the ice, and swim kick itself up and onto the more safe ice and struggle its way back.

Strange the family originally said it was recovered, huh?

fatlazyless 04-11-2021 10:34 AM

Back in 1929, Rin Tin Tin, the famous German shepherd dog predecessor to the tv-show of the 1950's starred in a silent movie named 'Frozen River.'

Anyone who grew up watching that 1950's tv-show www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rin_Tin_Tin could have expected the smart doggie to save itself, save the owner, and be there to provide support for the F&G ...... all at the same time!

barefootbay 04-11-2021 03:21 PM

Probably stayed with her until he was too far gone with hypothermia to save himself. So sad !

SAB1 04-11-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Not surprising at all. Do you know what kind a panic goes thru your mind when you bust thru the ice? When you go in you likely go thru at at angle and no guarantee you can even find the hole you went thru.

CooperS7777 04-12-2021 02:29 AM

Quote:

If her GSD was anything like ours, it probably passed trying to save her. If we are swimming off the dock and I decide to play dead, our shepherd goes nuts barking for about 30 seconds before he's in the water coming for me full tilt. I have zero doubt that he would exhaust himself trying to get to us or get us out of the water if it came to that.

gillygirl 04-12-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CooperS7777 (Post 353542)
If her GSD was anything like ours, it probably passed trying to save her. If we are swimming off the dock and I decide to play dead, our shepherd goes nuts barking for about 30 seconds before he's in the water coming for me full tilt. I have zero doubt that he would exhaust himself trying to get to us or get us out of the water if it came to that.

It’s also possible that the dog went through the ice first, and she went through trying to save it.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app