Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Area WebCAMs (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   MS Mt Washington web cam. (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8798)

Lakesrider 10-27-2009 10:03 AM

MS Mt Washington web cam.

Mt Washington cruise ship. Do you think they will set up a web cam so we can watch the engines come out and the new ones go in? I hope so. And they should announce when they come out so we can all watch the end of an era.
Kinda like when the last space shuttle goes up....:(

Phantom 10-28-2009 07:35 AM

Webcam is an idea -- I would love to know te day that they plan to hoist her onto the cradle. I would be great to watch that!!

Resident 2B 10-28-2009 11:33 AM

A Way to Make Some Money

She is still at the dock in the Weirs this afternoon.

I hope they let people know when she will be pulled as well. That is something I always wanted to watch.

Maybe they could use the Doris E and Sophie C for cruises with waterside views of the operation. Sounds like a good way to make some money to me.

R2B

webmaster 10-28-2009 12:21 PM

"the Mount is scheduled to go into drydock on November 1st or 2nd"

Quote from Bizer in this thread.

The Mount in Drydock

update: The Mount will not be drydocked this year. The engine replacement will be done while the ship is in the water.

camp guy 11-14-2009 09:20 AM

HMS Mt Washington in dry dock...

On Wednesday, Nov 10th, I was at the site and an employee told me that the Mount was not coming out of the water this year. The engine refit will happen with the Mount afloat. According to this gentleman, at least two holes will be cut, one through the side, and the other down through the decking to allow the present engines to be extracted. No work will actually begin until the new engines are physically on site.

Sounds like a big project to do during the coldest season of the year. This same gentleman said that a big concern is heating tand venting the work area safely with respect to the cleaning that has to be done which involves years of old, oily residue (pronounced flammable).

Good Luck to the Mount crew !!

BroadHopper 11-14-2009 09:30 AM

The webcam project

It will be interesting to watch. I enjoy being an 'armchair' supervisor. I hope the Mt Washington folks allow the webcam guy to move the webcam to an appropriate spot to see the engine removal/installation.

The present engines are not the original engines. The original diesel engines were scuttled during the WWII. I wonder if the crew is using the same 'hatch' to install the new engines.

Kamper 11-14-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 111902)
... The original diesel engines were scuttled during the WWII. ...

"Scuttled" means a vessel is deliberately sunk. The engines were not thrown away or destroyed. They were removed for war service. More information is probably buried somewhere in the "History" forum.

During the war many items were donated or "lent" to the government for purposes related to the general good. Things like vessels of all types, binoculars and dogs come to mind.

Rattlesnake Gal 11-15-2009 12:40 PM

The Mounts First Engines Were Steam

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 111902)
The present engines are not the original engines. The original diesel engines were scuttled during the WWII.

Where did you learn this? The original engines on the Mt Washington II were steam powered not diesel. It is entirely possible they might have been scuttled after the war.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 94273)
Leander Lavallee decided that the Mt. Washington II would be a steamboat rather than a motor vessel. They purchased the power plant from the 140’ ocean yacht Crescent III, which was located in Long Island, NY. The power plant was built by Herreshoff Manufacturing and consisted of two three-cylinder triple-expansion steam engines, size 10, 16 and 25-inch diameter by 13 ½ -inch stroke, two water tube boilers; two propellers and the necessary shafting. The equipment cost was $25,000 and was reconditioned by Bethlehem Steel Corporation before being shipped to New Hampshire.

The steam engines were commandeered for the war, laying up the Mt. Washington II for the duration of the war.

In 1946 after World War II ended the new owners of the Mt. Washington II, Carl and Byron Hedblom, rebuilt the vessel adding two Enterprise diesel engines with 615 horsepower each and they upgraded her with electrically powered auxiliaries.

Click here
for more information on the M/S Mount Washington.