Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cleaning debris from beach and water (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23454)

Liquorish 06-24-2018 06:47 AM

Cleaning debris from beach and water

Was wondering if there is any permitting required to remove debris from our beachfront and water, seems like mostly leaves and branches. ( not a millfoil issue). Secondly, anyone know of a service that can do this type of work?

Descant 06-24-2018 08:42 PM

Should be no problem keeping your own property clean. Once you start using machinery in the water, mnost times you'll need a wetland permit. Anybody in this business will be aware. You can call DES, there very helpful with such issues.
Shore Things, (DES) may chime in here. Also always helpful.

MeredithMan 06-25-2018 02:11 PM

tool for removing water debris...

I have not used their water rakes, but I have used their roof rakes for snow removal.

Go to: www.roofrake.com

Select the "leaf roof rakes" tab, and there you will find two rakes for removing debris from the water, the "lake rake" and "weed extractor"

LIforrelaxin 06-25-2018 02:58 PM

Food for thought.

Most time you get a build up of leaves etc. because of a lack of activity... Get the kids or grand kids in the water every weekend for a month, and you find that it starts to disappear... If there are no grand kids or kids easily accessible see if you can rent the neighbors or a co-workers for weekend or two by inviting them for a nice cookout.

Also beware amoungst those leaves and twigs, sometime (as I did this weekend) you find a beer bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FlyingScot 06-25-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 296595)
I have not used their water rakes, but I have used their roof rakes for snow removal.

Go to: www.roofrake.com

Select the "leaf roof rakes" tab, and there you will find two rakes for removing debris from the water, the "lake rake" and "weed extractor"

I bought the lake rake a couple of summers ago. It would probably be good for a flat sandy beach, but I found it absolutely useless for underwater. At least at my house, the lake bottom surface is too variable for a wide rake to collect material consistently. I've had much more success with a small rake and my hands.

Liquorish 06-26-2018 06:27 AM

Thanks for the input all

SIKSUKR 06-26-2018 10:29 AM

I'm sure this is unexceptable now but we use use to the thrust form the boat to clear out an area.:eek:

LIforrelaxin 06-26-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 296667)
I'm sure this is unexceptable now but we use use to the thrust form the boat to clear out an area.:eek:

Its unacceptable only when caught.... but you didn't hear that form me!!!!!!

Descant 06-26-2018 08:24 PM

I'm aware of people who have "blown out" extra sediment and later found their lower unit full of small stones. This can also happen in normal use if water is low. Check the lower unit in low water years.

upthesaukee 06-27-2018 05:45 AM

Jet ski

I don't own one but have heard people say they connect a flexible tube to the jet on a jet ski and use it like a leaf blower..

Dave

aquabones 06-28-2018 07:17 AM

Iquorish, i sent a pm with a possible solution.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app