Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Boat "Taxi" from Meredith Neck to Bear Island (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25853)

Bear1895Island 06-01-2020 03:01 PM

Boat "Taxi" from Meredith Neck to Bear Island

Hi Folks,
As we will be coming and going quite a bit from our property on Bear Island this summer and do not have a boat slip, we are looking for someone to give us a ride periodically from Meredith Neck over to Bear Island, basically an easy 1+mile ride each way. Does anyone know of such a service, or someone who may want to make a few bucks ($40 cash) round trip, about 6-8 times this summer? Many thanks for your consideration!

rick35 06-01-2020 06:11 PM

That’s a great idea. I’d use a service like that. Trailering a boat is tiring and I would love to leave it at the dock during the week. Just run me over to the island and I’ll take my boat back to get my stuff. My guess is there are special permits required and extra insurance all of which would make this difficult to pull off. Boat Uber aka B’Uber?

steve-on-mark 06-01-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 336044)
That’s a great idea. I’d use a service like that. Trailering a boat is tiring and I would love to leave it at the dock during the week. Just run me over to the island and I’ll take my boat back to get my stuff. My guess is there are special permits required and extra insurance all of which would make this difficult to pull off. Boat Uber aka B’Uber?

Maybe doing an island friend a favor and collecting a little "gas money"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

camp guy 06-01-2020 06:31 PM

Boat taxi

Among the many things I am not, insurance agent is one of them, but I have a feeling that before your even consider being involved in a "taxi" business you need to have a very thorough conversation with your insurance agent with respect to liability coverage. Now, taking a friend for a 'ride', and finding a few bucks under a cushion may be a different thing - but, have the conversation first.
'

TiltonBB 06-01-2020 06:33 PM

Also, you would need a NH Commercial Boat License if you are doing anything in a boat for compensation. That is a different test.

rick35 06-01-2020 06:42 PM

We have family next door and I know I could ask for a lift (or a tow) in an emergency. I’ve done the same for them. But for as long as we’ve owned on the island we’ve had a boat to get back and forth. The last thing I want to do is impose but having a safety net with family or friends is important when you’re on an island.

steve-on-mark 06-01-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 336048)
We have family next door and I know I could ask for a lift (or a tow) in an emergency. I’ve done the same for them. But for as long as we’ve owned on the island we’ve had a boat to get back and forth. The last thing I want to do is impose but having a safety net with family or friends is important when you’re on an island.

Absolutely..."hey, I'm on the mainland..need anything at the store?" " I'm in Lowes...need anything? " " my husband is having severe stomach pain...could you boat in with him? " Neighbors helping neighbors...island way of life!

ishoot308 06-01-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 336049)
Absolutely..."hey, I'm on the mainland..need anything at the store?" " I'm in Lowes...need anything? " " my husband is having severe stomach pain...could you boat in with him? " Neighbors helping neighbors...island way of life!

Amen to that Steve! It’s the same here on Welch!...neighbors helping neighbors at any time!

Dan

steve-on-mark 06-01-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 336051)
Amen to that Steve! It’s the same here on Welch!...neighbors helping neighbors at any time!

Dan

If you don't live the life, you might not get it![emoji6]

webmaster 06-02-2020 05:47 AM

Here's a good article about the water taxis (it even mentions this forum):

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/boat...iTSRIK0yYk5wfY

codeman671 06-02-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 336049)

Hmmm, I somehow think this was pointed at me? :D You are all set now, the gall bladder is gone. I think we still owe you a lobster roll for interrupting dinner that night.

On another note, you could be getting those calls again soon. Only a slightly longer boat ride.

Descant 06-02-2020 11:43 AM

Trade rides

Post a notice on the bulletin board at the public docks. There must be others in a similar situation where you could trade rides.