Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Roofing contract (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27274)

SailinAway 07-27-2021 12:29 PM

Roofing contract

I'm pretty sure this is a no-brainer, but maybe you can see different sides to the question: Would you hire someone to replace your roof without a contract? I believe the reason in this case is "roofer doesn't have time to write a contract because this is a rush job."

John Mercier 07-27-2021 12:35 PM

If I knew the roofer and their reputation well. But generally, no.

Grandpa Redneck 07-27-2021 04:44 PM

NO, no contract, no job, period. My daughter almost got shafted by a "roofer" He took a down payment for materials, then never showed, fortunately they did have a contract. so they got the Sanbornton PD involved, and eventually got her deposit back. The same joker has pulled the same stunt on a few people since.

thinkxingu 07-27-2021 04:53 PM

My buddy owns a roofing company in southern New Hampshire, and he can provide a contract almost on the spot. No idea why this guy couldn't do the same?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Biggd 07-27-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailinAway (Post 359400)
I'm pretty sure this is a no-brainer, but maybe you can see different sides to the question: Would you hire someone to replace your roof without a contract? I believe the reason in this case is "roofer doesn't have time to write a contract because this is a rush job."

No contract/no deposit, that's the only way I would do it.
I once hired a fence guy this way. He didn't want to give me a contract so I said I will pay you every day when you show up.
He did a great job, I paid him 1/3 every day for three days. Of coarse this was back when contractors weren't so busy.

John Mercier 07-27-2021 08:13 PM

A written contract is not just about the pay.
It outlines the responsibility of the contractor to the homeowner.

The homeowner cannot demand more than what is in the contract, and the contractor must supply work up to a standard.

For a homeowner this would mean that the roofer not applying the material correctly as per warranty would be an actionable offense.

The best products on the planet have no value when used incorrectly.

Descant 07-29-2021 10:13 AM

Laptop

Many contractors can go to their laptop in the truck and email a contract within minutes. In addition to specifying materials, "workmanlike manner" etc. they should add "protect foundation plantings" remove nails and other dropped materials, leave site as found, etc. A specified timeline, interim tarping and other provisions might be a part of the contract. This is probably all boilerplate for a competent contractor, whether roof or some other trade. If there is any doubt, call the references; verify the number so you know you're talking to a real reference, not the roofer's buddy.
Sometime ago, I asked about a permit. The building inspector said not needed for maintenance, but he wanted to inspect as soon as rotten boards were being replaced. Your local building inspector can be an asset, no charge for advice.

What did your insurance carrier say? They may inspect and/or approve to be sure you and they are getting what you pay for. They usually pay for "like kind and quality" so any up grade may be on you.

codeman671 07-29-2021 10:39 AM

Absolutely not! Too many crooks out there these days. Get it in writing.

SailinAway 07-31-2021 08:52 PM

I agree with all of the above and am looking for a new roofer.