Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   B.Mae Dennys (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4100)

michael c 12-14-2006 01:02 AM

B.Mae Dennys

Hi,
I am new here. This is my first post but i have been lurking for a while.

My younger brother used to work at B.Mae's prolly mid 70's i really don't remember.
The reason i am posting is that he was a cook and one day a customer asked the cook who had made his meal to come out from the kitchen.My brother was a bit concerned at first but it got more scarey. The customer told my brother James that He had just made him the very best Rueben he had ever had and the customer thanked my brother with a hand shake and a tip ..that customer was Humphrey Bogart !!!
My Brother is about to be a head chef or cook as we yankees call them ,at a restaurant that is in need of new leadership ...you will get to meet him in a month or so.
Mike :)

ghfromaltonbay 12-14-2006 11:47 AM

Are you sure it was Bogie?

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael clayton
Hi,
My younger brother used to work at B.Mae's prolly mid 70's i really don't remember.
The reason i am posting is that he was a cook and one day a customer asked the cook who had made his meal to come out from the kitchen.My brother was a bit concerned at first but it got more scarey. The customer told my brother James that He had just made him the very best Rueben he had ever had and the customer thanked my brother with a hand shake and a tip ..that customer was Humphrey Bogart !!!
My Brother is about to be a head chef or cook as we yankees call them ,at a restaurant that is in need of new leadership ...you will get to meet him in a month or so.
Mike :)

Welcome to the Forum, it's a great place to share our memories of the Lakes Region!
:rolleye1: Since Humphrey Bogart died in 1957, I think your brother was had. Maybe it was a celebrity impersonator.

michael c 12-14-2006 02:11 PM

You must be right

Hi,
It sounds like it doesn't it !!! I will check with him to see if i got it right
but thank you for the heads up

ghfromaltonbay 12-14-2006 02:52 PM

Could this be the mysterious Bogie?

The actor Jerry Lacy played Bogart in the Woody Allen film "Play it Again, Sam" (1972) and he was a believable choice. Below is an excerpt from one of his online bios, and it mentions he married Julia Duffy who starred on Newhart and Mr. Lacy also wrote for the show. Since there is a New England connection, maybe he was your brother's mystery diner? With the Summer Playhouse that used to be next to B. Mae's featuring well-known stars back in that era, perhaps he or Miss Duffy were on a working holiday in the Gilford area.

Jerry's close resemblance to Humphrey Bogart made him the perfect choice for Woody Allen's Broadway play and film Play It Again Sam, in which Bogey acts as a spiritual guide to Woody Allen's character. The play ran concurrently with Lacy's commitments on Dark Shadows and Dan Curtis was eager to capitalise on the resemblance by styling Jerry's first character, Tony Peterson, to mirror the star. Elsewhere, Jerry assumed the Bogart persona in a number of other mediums, including a successful series of commercials for Right Guard deodorants, one of which also featured Dark Shadows actress Marie Wallace.

In the late 1970s, Jerry met actress Julia Duffy, who would become his second wife. In 1982, Jerry worked behind the scenes as a writer for the TV series Newhart.

michael c 12-21-2006 11:10 AM

Humphrey/uncle Milty

Apparently broth.# 1 told story about broth # 3 wrong . It was Milton Berle

that makes more sense !

ghfromaltonbay 12-21-2006 11:31 AM

The mystery is sol-ved!

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael clayton
Apparently broth.# 1 told story about broth # 3 wrong . It was Milton Berle

that makes more sense !

I can see how the error was made, Uncle Milty and Bogie are so much alike. :laugh:

That is a great story, though....which restaurant will your brother be operating?

michael c 12-21-2006 01:58 PM

which restaurant

i would love to tell you the name of the restaurant but i must wait 2 more weeks ...i will then let you all know and it will be good news for all !!!:)

lawyers won't let me talk yet!!

phoenix 12-21-2006 06:08 PM

what town is it in

Pineedles 12-21-2006 07:18 PM

Deli or steak place?

If it's a NY style deli then I am definitely interested. If it's a North African/French restaurant then I might stop by for a quick song by the piano player.:laugh:

michael c 12-22-2006 02:47 PM

You know the old saying ...

I could tell you but then .......

It is in the area surrounding the weirs and will [ I hope ] become known for its fine seafood and reasonable prices ..
Film at 11:00 !!!:liplick: