Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   driveway quote (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27024)

Cshipley 05-19-2021 06:56 PM

driveway quote

We need to have a driveway put in leading to our new home that is set fairly far from the road - anywhere from 500 - 1000 ft. I know I will need someone to come out for a site visit. I am simply looking for a rough estimate on that type of work just as a starting point.

Little Bear 05-19-2021 07:06 PM

I used W.F. Richards & Son out of Meredith for my very long (1600’) and steep driveway. They did it 17 years ago, and I’ve never had a problem with washout since. Their number is 603-279-4214.

Cshipley 05-19-2021 07:43 PM

Thank you for the reply. I realize 17 years was a long time ago but would you mind sharing the cost if you remember?

TheProfessor 05-19-2021 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cshipley (Post 355628)
We need to have a driveway put in leading to our new home that is set fairly far from the road - anywhere from 500 - 1000 ft. I know I will need someone to come out for a site visit. I am simply looking for a rough estimate on that type of work just as a starting point.

A tad bid of variables.
Trees/stumps.
Rocks.
Crushed stone.
Gravel.
Culverts.
Width.

And a driveway permit.

DesertDweller 05-19-2021 08:20 PM

I looked at a lot a few years back where the house location was going to be 700 to 800 feet back from the road. There was a decent dirt path for about half of it and the other half needed to have some trees and large rocks removed. I have a guy who did driveway work for us at our existing place come out and give me a ball park guesstimate. To clear out the things that needed to be cleared out and put down a good base with ledge pack on top was going to be in the $25,000+/- range. It was enough that it scared me away from buying the lot. Not sure what the driveway path would be in your case and what type of trees and rock that need to be cleared but that was the number I was quoted. You're talking about a lot of materials to do a 1000 foot driveway.

TheTimeTraveler 05-19-2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfessor (Post 355634)
A tad bid of variables.
Trees/stumps.
Rocks.
Crushed stone.
Gravel.
Culverts.
Width.

And a driveway permit.

I'm actually surprised that one needs a permit for a driveway since an actual structure isn't being erected......

Personally I look at a driveway as extended landscaping.

Anyways, maybe each Town has different rules and regulations.

jeffk 05-20-2021 04:27 AM

You could probably get a company to come in and do it on the cheap and in a few years you would notice the pavement is starting to wave and crack because the base soil work wasn't done right. Also you might have drainage and freezing on some parts of the driveway because the leveling and drainage was not done right. Fixing problems like these could be cost prohibitive.

To do it right, the company has to remove 8 - 12 inches of soil, put in proper type of soil/gravel and compact it, and put in a couple layers of asphalt. They also have to carefully plan the drainage and landscape to make it work.

You get, and possibly regret, what you pay, or don't pay, for.

I recently got an estimate for 600'+ of driveway, a couple of culverts, an large apron in front of a 3 car garage, another apron in front of an outbuilding, a 60' spur going to a second house entrance, and a 80' spur for trailer parking. The estimate was $60K+. I plan to get some necessary work done soon and the rest done in 5 years or so. Splitting it increased the cost a little bit.

Little Bear 05-20-2021 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cshipley (Post 355632)
Thank you for the reply. I realize 17 years was a long time ago but would you mind sharing the cost if you remember?

I believe it was around $80k, not including paving.

TheProfessor 05-20-2021 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 355638)
I'm actually surprised that one needs a permit for a driveway since an actual structure isn't being erected......

This town does require a driveway permit. All has to do with street drainage - water run off - rain and snow. Piping under driveway with specific type/size of pipes.

If this is a state maintained road. Another ball of wax in permits.

webmaster 05-20-2021 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cshipley (Post 355628)

I just had my gravel driveway (not at the lake) paved a few weeks ago. $4500 for 1114 square feet. That included all prep work and removal of the gravel and wood beams. It looks beautiful.

VitaBene 05-20-2021 06:49 AM

Ours is being done next month by Porter. I am on the road and will check square footage when I get home, but it is approx 9800 square feet- $22000 Reclaimed and paved is $22K.

To have the cracks fixed and sealed it was close to 4K- there are a lot of cracks!

Biggd 05-20-2021 07:24 AM

I just bought an 10 wheeler load of ledge pack, $550. At 8" thick it covered about 1000 sq ft.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TiltonBB 05-20-2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfessor (Post 355641)
This town does require a driveway permit. All has to do with street drainage - water run off - rain and snow. Piping under driveway with specific type/size of pipes.

If this is a state maintained road. Another ball of wax in permits.

In Gilford I was having my driveway paved a few years ago. The first 20 feet in from the street was fine but the rest was going to be paved. I went to the DPW get a permit and they told me I didn't need one since the new paving was not abutting a town road.

TheProfessor 05-21-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 355724)
In Gilford I was having my driveway paved a few years ago. The first 20 feet in from the street was fine but the rest was going to be paved. I went to the DPW get a permit and they told me I didn't need one since the new paving was not abutting a town road.

Do you need a permit to pave your driveway in your town ?