Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Possible Mechanic scamming for use of boats (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21176)

Kamper 08-31-2016 10:28 AM

Possible Mechanic scamming for use of boats
 
1 Attachment(s)
http://www.thehulltruth.com/northeas...st-marine.html


I found this info on "The Hull Truth." This person has posted as a boat mechanic on Craigslist offering his service in the NH, eastern MA region. Repairs were not done. Boat was returned damaged and with gear removed. There are pictures that suggest the boat was used by other parties.

Doobs41378 08-31-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamper (Post 268468)
http://www.thehulltruth.com/northeas...st-marine.html


I found this info on "The Hull Truth." This person has posted as a boat mechanic on Craigslist offering his service in the NH, eastern MA region. Repairs were not done. Boat was returned damaged and with gear removed. There are pictures that suggest the boat was used by other parties.

I read that on there as well. Shame....

ishoot308 08-31-2016 10:55 AM

All you have to do is google this doofus' name (Lee Cwalina) and he has a record a mile long. Anyone who does business with him without checking isn't very smart!

radiocontester 08-31-2016 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 268470)
All you have to do is google this doofus' name (Lee Cwalina) and he has a record a mile long. Anyone who does business with him without checking isn't very smart!

Agree 100%. I would never let a mobile tech (especially CL-sourced) work on my boat without the proper due diligence.

Winnisquamer 08-31-2016 11:43 AM

I always thought craigslist was the one site you knew you were dealing with questionable people.

Hillcountry 09-01-2016 07:08 AM

Never ceases to amaze me how these douchebags are still walking.

Dave R 09-01-2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnisquamer (Post 268479)
I always thought craigslist was the one site you knew you were dealing with questionable people.

I've bought and sold tons of stuff on CL, never had any issues. Then again, I am pretty questionable.

Woody38 09-01-2016 10:14 AM

Sorry about your misfortune.
Never rely on amateurs for working on anything myself. Cars go the dealer, not a gas station, boats to a good marina.
Had experience in AZ once when I went to restroom (I would never let him open the hood had I been there) and then the gas attendant told me my alternator was shot. It was about 100in the shade. He showed me metal shavings in the engine compartment and said they could install a new one in an hour. Yeah right. Went over to the local dealer and had them take a look. No problem.
Result: Wrote a letter to the major gas company, received a letter saying they had same from other motorists and his franchise was canceled.

Only trust someone you know or have reliable information about.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

Winnisquamer 09-01-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 268533)
I've bought and sold tons of stuff on CL, never had any issues. Then again, I am pretty questionable.

I agree I have used craigslist a lot as well. I do go there with the mindset of this item/person is suspect though. Shallow as it may be it protects me!

dpg 09-01-2016 11:12 AM

Who just hands their boat over to someone like this person did specially if it's their prize possession the way he stated? Sorry doesn't make it right but he was sort of asking for it...

noreast 09-01-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 268536)
Sorry about your misfortune.
Never rely on amateurs for working on anything myself. Cars go the dealer, not a gas station, boats to a good marina.
Had experience in AZ once when I went to restroom (I would never let him open the hood had I been there) and then the gas attendant told me my alternator was shot. It was about 100in the shade. He showed me metal shavings in the engine compartment and said they could install a new one in an hour. Yeah right. Went over to the local dealer and had them take a look. No problem.
Result: Wrote a letter to the major gas company, received a letter saying they had same from other motorists and his franchise was canceled.

Only trust someone you know or have reliable information about.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

I agree except for the car part. Most garages are far more experienced than the mechanics at dealerships, and a lot cheaper. but, obviously you have to find a good one you can trust. If it's not warranty I will never go back to a dealer, I had so many repeat issues with different dealerships. They couldn't get anything right.

Major 09-01-2016 12:02 PM

Mechanic
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by noreast (Post 268544)
I agree except for the car part. Most garages are far more experienced than the mechanics at dealerships, and a lot cheaper. but, obviously you have to find a good one you can trust. If it's not warranty I will never go back to a dealer, I had so many repeat issues with different dealerships. They couldn't get anything right.

I agree. A bit off topic, but we use Jim at Prestige Automotive in Gilford. He's the best!

Luvinlife 09-13-2016 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the so called mechanics that used the guy's boat (the black one is his) for their own party and returned it damaged, out of gas, not running and none of the work he paid for completed. You may see them using someone else's boat. Beware.

Kamper 09-25-2016 09:27 AM

Update from the OP on the other site:

My insurance company (Progressive) was awesome. They did their own thorough investigation, aided immeasurably by this thread, including the pictures and information from the posts along with the police reports to make their determination on the claim. Initially they felt this was a gray area and needed time to make a decision. The thread helped with their decision Their adjuster met with my primary mechanic (who got the engine running again, lake test today) and measured and took pictures of all the damage. They reimbursed me fully for the engine work, graphic damage, gel coat repair and stolen gear (minus the deductible).

The police issue is pending. The Mass police turned over their report to NH. Mass police in his former hometown know Lee well and had other interactions with him, tried to find him but he moved to NH. NH seems less enthusiastic about chasing him. Waiting for an update.

Kamper 11-04-2016 01:10 PM

FYI - The cops still haven't arrested the criminal but the victim advises the insurance, after some initial doubt, is making him whole. The insurance provider is 'all over his ass' now. Hopefully they will find some of the crook's toys to have seized and cover the damages.

Kamper 11-13-2016 07:44 AM

This is from the victim


Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleB58 (Post 9671071)
Got an unsolicited email this morning from a police officer in his NH hometown asking for information so they could charge Lee Cwalina with something. The officer asked me for statements and invoices regarding the engine, damage and work Lee never did. I sent the police officer my original statement, the insurance adjuster photos and findings along with the cancelled check. Told them I wanted to press criminal charges because he seems to do this type of thing often and gets away with it. Just don't want anyone else to get scammed like I did

Just now I received an unsolicited update from them the same officer letting me know they just arrested him on an unrelated matter. They assured me he does not get away with everything. So glad to see they got him on something! Great job by the police department to keep me informed and reach out. Restored my faith


Luvinlife 03-10-2017 06:28 PM

Scammer arrested yet again. Stay away from him
 
Spiraling out of control.............

http://patch.com/new-hampshire/ports...uth-police-log

PORTSMOUTH, NH — Lee Cwalina, 27, of Tuttle Lane in Greenland, was arrested at 9:07 p.m. on March 6, 2017, for two counts of simple assault, criminal threatening, criminal restraint, and default or breach of bail conditions. Officers were sent to a verbal domestic incident on Woodbury Avenue after arriving, found out an alleged assault took place. A 12-hour “be on the lookout” alert was issued and later, Cwalina turned himself into police.

Editor’s Note: This post was derived from information supplied by the Portsmouth Police Department. It does not indicate a conviction. This link explains the name removal request process for NH Patch police reports.

And:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/2...-log-march-6-7

March 6th

9:07 p.m.: Arrested Lee Cwalina, 27, of 72 Tuttle Lane, Greenland, for two counts alleging simple assault, a charge alleging breach of bail conditions, a charge alleging criminal restraint and a count alleging criminal threatening.

Kamper 10-30-2018 09:38 AM

Now he's running an excavation/snow plow operation in Hampton.

Read the reviews.. '...owes me money...' "..has warrants...'

https://m.facebook.com/NorthEast-Exc...9992/?ref=py_c

There's also more updates on the original link to "The Hull Truth"

MDoug 10-30-2018 09:45 AM

Scammer
 
Thanks, All, for this heads up!

iw8surf 10-30-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamper (Post 304030)
Now he's running an excavation/snow plow operation in Hampton.

Read the reviews.. '...owes me money...' "..has warrants...'

https://m.facebook.com/NorthEast-Exc...9992/?ref=py_c

There's also more updates on the original link to "The Hull Truth"


I only see 1 review that says "great" I remember this thread, so curious to see what else is going on now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.