Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Cup and Crumb baker on Food Network (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25142)

Outdoorsman 11-02-2019 08:21 AM

Cup and Crumb baker on Food Network

On Monday night, the rest of the country will get a chance to see Clifford’s skill, as she is one of the contestants for the sixth season of Food Network’s Holiday Baking Championship. The first episode will air on Monday night, Nov. 4, at 9 p.m.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...c03739c7f.html

BroadHopper 11-05-2019 08:37 AM

The Loves

She had a great mentor, Donna Love. She and her husband Mike Love are both exceptional in their field.
I remember Love's Quarry in Wolfeboro and Love's Bites in Moultonboro. Lemongrass was Mike's creation.
Mike Love attended Belknap College and became a local legend.

Andromeda321 11-14-2019 12:02 PM

I came by to see if anyone else was watching this show. Specifically, it's the "Holiday Baking Championship" on Food Network, airs at 9pm on Mondays.

I was so excited to see her on there in the first episode as I hadn't expected it! I mean, I know Cup and Crumb is awesome, but it's great to see the wider world recognize that. :)

Sue Doe-Nym 11-14-2019 12:51 PM

Stoned at the quarry

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 322356)
She had a great mentor, Donna Love. She and her husband Mike Love are both exceptional in their field.
I remember Love's Quarry in Wolfeboro and Love's Bites in Moultonboro. Lemongrass was Mike's creation.
Mike Love attended Belknap College and became a local legend.

My husband quipped that you must have been stoned to remember Love’s Quarry! Haha....it was actually Love’s Quay (pronounced key). Go ahead...throw the rotten tomatoes...I can take it! 🙄

winni83 11-14-2019 01:22 PM

Sweetwater Inn - Another Mike Love Restaurant

How about Mike Love's Sweetwater Inn on Route 25 in Moultonborough. Located where Ossippee Mountain Electronics is now located? Like the old Woodshed, it succumbed to fire.

Sue Doe-Nym 11-14-2019 01:29 PM

Brain picking

Quote:

Originally Posted by winni83 (Post 322700)
How about Mike Love's Sweetwater Inn on Route 25 in Moultonborough. Located where Ossippee Mountain Electronics is now located? Like the old Woodshed, it succumbed to fire.

I remember.....the Cranes had an anniversary celebration there.....decades ago...early ‘80s? Time does fly.

Susie Cougar 11-14-2019 01:37 PM

Mike Love

Mike had a lot going on back in the 70’s and 80’s.
Does anyone remember someone having a baby in one of his restaurants? It was planned for the public, not an accidental delivery.

I have been watching the Baking Challenge, although I do not personally know Jennifer. It’s just fun to see Moultonborough on TV.

Nagigator 11-14-2019 03:22 PM

I remember

Quote:

Originally Posted by winni83 (Post 322700)

Man, I used to love the Sweetwater Inn. Mike used to do a Sunday brunch in the winter for the locals that was to die for. We celebrated our first wedding anniversary there.

Susie Cougar 12-10-2019 09:02 AM

Cup and Crumb

Am I the only one watching the Holiday Baking Challenge?

Jennifer was first again last night, I think this is the third time she has come in first. She made an igloo cake with the cutest little penguins all over it.
They are now down to the final four contestants.
For those of you who are in New Hampshire, has the show on TV had any effect on the business itself in Moultonborough?

iw8surf 12-10-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 323738)
Am I the only one watching the Holiday Baking Challenge?

Jennifer was first again last night, I think this is the third time she has come in first. She made an igloo cake with the cutest little penguins all over it.
They are now down to the final four contestants.
For those of you who are in New Hampshire, has the show on TV had any effect on the business itself in Moultonborough?

I have been watching one of the food truck shows that looks like it has been taking place in NH. I think the last episode they were up in Wolfeboro.

Susie Cougar 12-10-2019 11:36 AM

Cup and Crumb

I don’t usually watch these kinds of shows and the only reason I am is because there someone from Moultonborough New Hampshire on it!

I’m really surprised that something so exciting is happening and nobody in town seems to be interested. Am I missing something?

Janet 12-10-2019 11:51 AM

We're watching and cheering for Jennifer here in Texas. So fun to watch her and her talent. Hopefully will get to meet her when we are in the Moultonborough area again in August.

jbolty 12-10-2019 02:35 PM

I keep meaning to watch but keep forgetting. Not generally a fan of the competition shows except for chopped but I feel stupid missing a local. Have missed the food truck show too

jeffk 12-11-2019 05:49 AM

My wife and I are watching. Jennifer is a former student of my wife. What is interesting is that she is self taught, under the initial guidance of a bunch of local baking talents. The judges have given her some very nice compliments.

jeffk 12-11-2019 05:52 AM

BTW, the show is on at different times Mondays on TWC in Moultonborough, 8 vs. Atlantic Broadband, 9 in Center Harbor. The hour before the new episode is usually a repeat of last week's episode.

SAMIAM 12-11-2019 07:01 AM

Been watching every week. Jennifer is delightful and looking confident.
So proud of our home town girl.
Also, good for her to giving credit to Donna Love who was her mentor and I'll bet she's watching and cheering her on.

Andromeda321 12-11-2019 11:26 AM

I've been watching, but DVR-ing so not on the day. And wow she's doing awesome!

Biggest difference I've seen at the Cup and Crumb is she will now have miniature things for sale of whatever was on the show that week. Totally have to go this weekend and see if there's some sort of penguin igloo cake action. :D I did have a chat with the guys behind the counter a few weeks back and they said not too much change, but obviously it's also their slow season (aren't even open past 2pm or so).

Susie Cougar 12-11-2019 11:53 AM

Cup and Crumb

SAMIAM, which episode did she mention Donna Love? I didn’t hear her say that. Was it in one of the extra episodes ? I haven’t watched those.
I think it’s a nice idea how she’s offering what she made on the show for everybody else to try too.
That’s awesome.

jeffk 12-11-2019 11:59 AM

I think the competition is Jennifer's to win or lose. She consistently does well with the creative part of the challenge. For example, they made an igloo cake and she had penguins playing, sliding down the igloo. No one else came close. The part where she occasionally gets dinged is in the "taste" of what she makes. They LOVED her raspberry ice cream but thought the meringue? frosting of the igloo was a little granular, a minor issue. Some of her creations have been flawless, per the judges. It's hard to pay attention to every nuance when working against the clock.

Jennifer's main competition seems to be Sarah. In my opinion, Sarah is not a match for Jennifer creatively but turns out some consistently good tasting treats. My prediction is, if Jennifer is on her A game for the next two shows, she will be the winner.

thinkxingu 12-11-2019 02:26 PM

I didn't think I had Food Network but just discovered I can stream online for free with my Xfinity creds. Looks like I got some back episodes to watch!

(A side note: being just a few minutes away from C&C, we've been quite a few times and it's 95% awesome and 5% just ok. Their breakfast sandwiches, pastries, and cookies are delish, but we got a cake once that was just...blah. I'm thinking it was the type of cake (cream vs. frosting) we got and am very much looking forward to Memorial Day, Mom's and Dad's Days, my July birthday, etc. to try more!)

Susie Cougar 12-11-2019 03:32 PM

Cup and Crumb

If she’s making small portions every week of what was on the show, you should definitely try her igloo cake. She was the overall winner, so the judges loved the taste. That should give you an idea if you actually like her cake or not without having to buy a whole one.

SAMIAM 12-12-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 323803)
SAMIAM, which episode did she mention Donna Love? I didn’t hear her say that. Was it in one of the extra episodes ? I haven’t watched those.
I think it’s a nice idea how she’s offering what she made on the show for everybody else to try too.
That’s awesome.

Sorry Susie, I wasn't clear in my post. It wasn't on the show, but in the Laconia Sun story that she mentioned Donna.
Thought it was very thoughtful and respectful

Andromeda321 12-17-2019 10:49 AM

Stopped by Cup and Crumb on Saturday and they were selling slices of "igloo cake." Wasn't decorated, but it was delicious- basically tasted like Nutter Butter. Also spotted our star baker at work in the back while ordering, so if she ultimately won she's keeping it low key.

I did ask and apparently people have been coming in just because of the show, but not enough to really notice a change in business. It is winter after all.

Susie Cougar 12-17-2019 11:16 AM

Cup and Crumb

She made it again last night. They are now down to the final three contestants. At this point, whether she wins or loses, she did an awesome job! I think next week is the last episode.

barefootbay 12-23-2019 10:07 PM

She was robbed !

jeffk 12-23-2019 10:15 PM

It was a tough competition and they were all VERY competitive. Some of it comes down to the judges personal preferences. One likes a lot of almond taste so felt Jennifer's cake was "lacking" a bit. The other judges liked the almond flavor as it was. With 3 strong contestants it was going to come down to picky things.

If Jennifer didn't win it was good that Melissa did.

Janet 12-23-2019 10:26 PM

Congrats to Jennifer for making the final 3. Tough competition but she did Moultonborough, Cup and Crumb, her family and especially herself proud! I’m sad she didn’t win but happy for Melissa.

Susie Cougar 12-24-2019 08:23 AM

Cup and Crumb

I enjoyed watching this competition. Jennifer did a wonderful job and she should be very proud.

jeffk 12-24-2019 10:18 AM

BTW, if you want to see what Jennifer can REALLY do, go to the "For Goodness Cakes" Facebook page (you don't need to sign in) and see the pictures. You will be blown away.

For Goodness Cakes

DickR 12-26-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk (Post 324254)
BTW, if you want to see what Jennifer can REALLY do, go to the "For Goodness Cakes" Facebook page (you don't need to sign in) and see the pictures. You will be blown away.

For Goodness Cakes

Since she's local, I gave in and clicked the link. As I browsed through the pictures of her cakes, I couldn't help but wonder how one would dare cut into one of them. Wouldn't that be like using the back of the Mona Lisa for a shopping list?