Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Lee Wah Restaurant, Moultonborough (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21679)

Sully 02-12-2017 08:44 AM

Lee Wah Restaurant, Moultonborough

I recently heard that Lee Wah Restaurant in Moultonborough is now open under new ownership as Lee Wah Chen Restaurant. I am simply wondering if any forum members are able to give it a quick review.

Greene's Basin Girl 02-12-2017 03:15 PM

I gave it a try because it was under new ownership. I thought it was really good! I hadn't gone there in at least ten years because the food was so bad and I live in Moultonborough

phoenix 02-12-2017 07:43 PM

that's good to know as like you I haven't been to the prior restaurant in more than 10 years

bumble71 02-14-2017 09:26 AM

It's much better now than it was before the new owners took over! They also have a coupon in the simply direct mailer!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ITD 02-14-2017 01:38 PM

When did the new owners take over?

bumble71 02-14-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 274444)
When did the new owners take over?

I believe it's been 6 months now..

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Lakemamma 02-16-2017 08:14 PM

Can't wait now to give it a try.

dpg 02-27-2017 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl (Post 274377)
I gave it a try because it was under new ownership. I thought it was really good! I hadn't gone there in at least ten years because the food was so bad and I live in Moultonborough

Can you elaborate what was so terrible? We used to go there once in awhile although its probably been a few years anyway. I always thought they were "ok" nothing ever made me not want to go there again. :confused:

Greene's Basin Girl 02-28-2017 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 274901)
Can you elaborate what was so terrible? We used to go there once in awhile although its probably been a few years anyway. I always thought they were "ok" nothing ever made me not want to go there again. :confused:

I just did not the food at all. I have been getting my Chinese food at the Green Ginger in Tilton and the Long River Chinese Restaurant in Fryeburg, Maine. In fact I purchased take-out in Fryeburg yesterday.

DPS 02-28-2017 01:36 PM

Same thought as the other response. Kept away for years.....tried 2x recently, both very good!

thinkxingu 02-28-2017 02:40 PM

Looking forward to trying this out again--I, too, have stayed away since trying it twice four years ago when we first bought in the area.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

bruinsfan 02-28-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl (Post 274957)
I just did not the food at all. I have been getting my Chinese food at the Green Ginger in Tilton and the Long River Chinese Restaurant in Fryeburg, Maine. In fact I purchased take-out in Fryeburg yesterday.

Green Ginger is good. I'll usually order from Fugaky in Plymouth; always plan to get take out when in the area that day. The lunch buffet is worth it as well.

With regard to Lee Wah.... We tried it last week and were very pleased. Keep it up.... consistency of taste will decide if I make it the "new" take out place.

Mr. V 03-01-2017 10:21 PM

How does it hold up when compared to J.P. China in Alton Bay?

VitaBene 04-19-2017 01:18 PM

Very Good

After having sub-par food at the original Lee Wah Restaurant, we started getting takeout from Tilton or Wolfeboro.

Based on the reviews here and other things I heard, we got takeout last night from the "new owners" Lee Wah. We just had a PuPu, fried rice and General Tso's chicken, but all were very good!

TUFTONECK 04-19-2017 05:59 PM

Westlake in Wolfeboro is very good

Joebon 04-20-2017 04:16 PM

Westlake recently remodeled and looks really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinkxingu 04-22-2017 01:28 PM

Just left Lee Wah after having lunch with the kiddos. It's no Jade Dragon (Merrimack), but it was much better than the last time we were there (three years ago) and we'll be back. (Server was also very nice)

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Overlake97 04-29-2017 07:35 AM

After two visits...pretty good

Based on the reviews here in the Forum, I've visited the newly-owned Lee Wah Chen twice in the past month. First time was for a sit-down lunch special, which was very good (I think I had Szechuan Chicken, as I always get something spicy). Two days ago I ordered chicken Lo Mein for takeout, which was excellent. First, they crammed so much Lo Mein into that standard chinese take-out container that it was bursting to get out; and after I removed my entire first serving it still looked full. Next, the taste was really good: A solid savory quality without any excess sweetness or odd asian aftertaste. Finally, the chicken. There was a LOT of it, and it wasn't just those stringy strands that seem to be standard in most Lo Meins. These were actual pieces of chicken, most the size of a tablespoon! Imagine that, chicken in the chicken Lo Mein. Lee Wah Chen is about 15 min (each way) from my usual route, but it's worth it and I'll definitely be back soon.

(Oh, I did have one complaint: The placemat showing the animals of the Chinese Zodiac featured a year of the MOUSE. It's a RAT, not a mouse! There were a few other "animal substitutions," but the rodent switch was the only one I recall specifically) :laugh:

Barney Bear 04-29-2017 11:51 AM

Mouse???

Oh rats!!! 🐀

phoenix 04-29-2017 06:17 PM

We went today and would give it an average. Not nearly as good as the Chinese restaurant in Meredith. I had gen tso chicken and far too much sauce and chicken was very chewy and mostly dark meat . Wife had shrimp and veggies and she felt the same way .