Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Urinating In The Lake (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22362)

Greene's Basin Girl 07-30-2017 12:07 AM

Urinating In The Lake

Yesterday a boat anchored within 150 feet of our raft. We were tied to the raft and were floating.Everyone on the boat jumped into the lake. A few were discussing how good it felt to urinate. I am wondering why people can't bring a bucket on board to pee in or have a port a potty aboard? We have a port a potty on our pontoon boat.

wifi 07-30-2017 02:34 AM

Must be Braun Bay regulars :)

Lakegeezer 07-30-2017 06:40 AM

It dilutes quickly

While gross and possibly illegal, a single pee is diluting into 625 billion gallons of water that is refreshed every three years. Even the concentration, local to the pee'er is quickly diluted. An area 20x20 by 20 feet deep, has about 60,000 gallons of water and a pint of urine would dilute to 2 parts/million. Consider what the ducks, loons, geese and fish excrement are adding to the soup you are swimming in. Add algae, small bugs and cyanobacteria, and a bit of pee is not your main concern, especially in Green's Basin. That said, the concentration of human excrement in Braun Bay is probably higher than the rest of the lake after a sunny weekend.

ApS 07-30-2017 07:19 AM

Or Was It Peer-Reviewed?—I Forget...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakegeezer (Post 282821)
While gross and possibly illegal, a single pee is diluting into 625 billion gallons of water that is refreshed every three years. Even the concentration, local to the pee'er is quickly diluted. An area 20x20 by 20 feet deep, has about 60,000 gallons of water and a pint of urine would dilute to 2 parts/million. Consider what the ducks, loons, geese and fish excrement are adding to the soup you are swimming in. Add algae, small bugs and cyanobacteria, and a bit of pee is not your main concern, especially in Green's Basin. That said, the concentration of human excrement in Braun Bay is probably higher than the rest of the lake after a sunny weekend.

Your unproven assertion has NOT been Pee-er Reviewed.

;)

JADAQ 07-30-2017 05:55 PM

Where does everyone think the thousands of ice fisherman pee out on the lake...?

wifi 07-30-2017 08:06 PM

Need an extra large shack for one of these on the ice:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...as-trellis.jpg

garysanfran 07-30-2017 08:35 PM

The two holers always amused me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifi (Post 282863)
Need an extra large shack for one of these on the ice:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...as-trellis.jpg

Gotta be a very close friend (can you be that close?... I suppose), or little kids. We had one for a while when I was young, until the indoor stuff got installed...what a great day at the cottage that was...Lost comradery? Not that I can remember.

Reading material was important...First was the Sears Catalog, remember the Christmas edition? Then came The Whole Earth Access. I read a newspaper article announcing Marilyn Monroe's death sitting on one of these...I was quite sad...

Was this a long time ago?

Reilly 08-01-2017 04:11 AM

Hope

I hope there really isn't anyone on this forum that thinks no one pee's in the lake ?? Even the Indians would be laughing 😃😃😃

ApS 08-01-2017 08:16 AM

Outhouse Lake?

Quote:

While gross and possibly illegal, a single pee is diluting into 625 billion gallons of water that is refreshed every three years.

• A "single pee" doesn't seem to be the issue at question.

• I question that excreted salts ever leave a lake with significant depths—and we're discussing gallons—and years—of weekenders' urine.

"Beer is rented". :rolleye1:

Quote:

Even the concentration, local to the pee'er is quickly diluted. An area 20x20 by 20 feet deep, has about 60,000 gallons of water and a pint of urine would dilute to 2 parts/million. Consider what the ducks, loons, geese and fish excrement are adding to the soup you are swimming in.

• One pint? :confused: Each pee-er is adding several liters daily to Mother Nature's "soup".

• Geese and ducks are drawn to the lake by feeding: grassy lawns and expansive golf courses have added geese to "the soup".

• Urine is 20 degrees warmer than the surrounding fresh water, so it is added at the surface. Braun Bay then becomes a particularly toxic environment to those entering into it. (Although there is a certain unkind irony in watching such polluters slipping into the lake). :rolleye2:

• Owners of oversized boats invariably advertise, "Sale includes porta-potty—never used". :rolleye1:

Quote:

Add algae, small bugs and cyanobacteria, and a bit of pee is not your main concern, especially in Green's Basin. That said, the concentration of human excrement in Braun Bay is probably higher than the rest of the lake after a sunny weekend.

• Bacteria and "small bugs" work 24/7 to convert pollutants; however, algae in surface waters benefit immediately from the elements in excretions.

wifi 08-01-2017 08:48 AM

Maybe everyone should rev up their engines and mix up the salts and chop the solids on the way out.... add protein for the fish :)

Make real looking pea soup, lol

Farfrumbehavin 08-11-2017 11:30 AM

How many gallons of two stroke oil are dumped into the lake on a busy weekend day? The OP has a pontoon boat. Is it powered by sails?

Tyler 08-11-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farfrumbehavin (Post 283696)
How many gallons of two stroke oil are dumped into the lake on a busy weekend day? The OP has a pontoon boat. Is it powered by sails?

Perhaps the OP has a 4 stroke outboard.

FlyingScot 08-11-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farfrumbehavin (Post 283696)

Spoken like someone who feels guilty about the oil his two stroke is spewing...or maybe the pee he's leaving behind at his neighbors' swim rafts?

noreast 08-11-2017 03:17 PM

I have male and female urinals on the pontoon, Passengers never believe me till I whip them out.

Hillcountry 08-12-2017 08:49 AM

With a "handle" like "far from behaving" I picture this poster as having those little decals depicting the little "brat" doing his "nasty deed" on things he doesn't like ie, Ford, Chevy, etc.
Brat is as brat does...

Biggd 08-14-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreast (Post 283708)
I have male and female urinals on the pontoon, Passengers never believe me till I whip them out.

I hope that was pun intended?:emb:

dpg 08-14-2017 11:05 AM

What an odd post boy if that's all you've got to worry about in life lucky you! :confused:

Greene's Basin Girl 08-17-2017 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreast (Post 283708)

Thank you for having them.

Kamper 08-17-2017 09:07 AM

Now you know why so many people in Laconia only drink bottled water in the summer!

:laugh: