Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Broken Spoke (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19953)

thinkxingu 10-15-2015 04:14 AM

The Broken Spoke

Not to derail this thread so quickly, but what's the deal with The Broken Spoke, also next to Funspot? I've passed by at least half a dozen times this year, and it's never been open.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

VitaBene 10-15-2015 05:54 AM

I have never understood why the Spoke has not thrived. Bentleys in Arundel Maine does killer business as a biker bar with a campground attached.

Lakeboater 10-15-2015 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 252910)
Not to derail this thread so quickly, but what's the deal with The Broken Spoke, also next to Funspot? I've passed by at least half a dozen times this year, and it's never been open.

I think I read in the LA sun that a woman bought the spoke and plans on opening it next spring/summer. It was open during bike week this past June.

Outdoorsman 10-15-2015 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 252916)
I have never understood why the Spoke has not thrived. Bentleys in Arundel Maine does killer business as a biker bar with a campground attached.

Three reasons.... If you are touting a campground

1. Location
2. Location
3. Location

VitaBene 10-16-2015 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 252959)
Three reasons.... If you are touting a campground

1. Location
2. Location
3. Location

I am not touting a campground, but it is part of the reason Bentley's is successful. And there is a campground across the street. I guess I just don't understand why a place in Arundel ME or Farmington NH (Hawg's Pen) can be so successful and the Spoke could not given the number of bikes around the LR all year. The Looney Bin right up the street does great business as well.

jimkberry 10-20-2015 03:30 PM

There are 3 Broken Spokes: in Laconia, Daytona Beach, and Sturgis.

From looking at their website it appears that all 3 are only open during bike week / weekend in their respective locations.

VitaBene 10-20-2015 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimkberry (Post 253100)
There are 3 Broken Spokes: in Laconia, Daytona Beach, and Sturgis.

From looking at their website it appears that all 3 are only open during bike week / weekend in their respective locations.

Yes, but as bikeweek attendance declines (really spreads out across the state), there is no way that is tenable- especially if it rains!!

thinkxingu 10-21-2015 04:16 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I absolutely hate how much of that side of the lake is blank space used only during Bike Week. It always looks rundown and abandoned.

Winnisquamer 10-21-2015 05:26 AM

Kind of nuts to think they make enough cash during just bike week to only be open one week a year..