Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Tales (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rock Bass/Red Eye (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22205)

Teddyballgame 07-04-2017 07:48 AM

Rock Bass/Red Eye

Just joined the Forum, 1st time post. Has anyone else noticed the increase in the Rock Bass population? We have caught 50 + from our dock over the last 3 weeks.

Rattlesnake Gal 07-04-2017 01:03 PM

Rock Bass

Rock Bass are bad news. Please never throw them back!

Welcome to the Forum!

Orion 07-05-2017 08:31 AM

worse than ever every year

I buried three buckets of them on the island after my granddaughter caught them on our dock. Too bad I don't have a garden to fertilize. She had fun. But I think it's a lost cause and it gets worse every year.:(

DanteMartiniello 07-05-2017 09:08 AM

I got under my dock yesterday and discovered many smaller red eyes fish, It was like a breeding ground for them. About 90% of all the fish were damn rocky's. Please let me know if anyone have seen an increase In rock bass in the Center Harbor, Blackie Cove area.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

webmaster 07-05-2017 10:26 AM

I've posted this a few times when Rock Bass come up. Swenson's "scientific" explanation why there absolutely, positively couldn't be Rock Bass in Lake Winni always makes me chuckle.

Quote:

It's entertaining to read through the debates from 14 years ago (on our old forum system) when some were insisting that there were no Rock Bass here. "Swenson" explains why they could not possibly thrive in the lake:

https://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/a...mes;read=58742

Skip 07-05-2017 10:51 AM

Time passes quickly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 281223)
I've posted this a few times when Rock Bass come up. Swenson's "scientific" explanation why there absolutely, positively couldn't be Rock Bass in Lake Winni always makes me chuckle.

Wow....its been that long! Truly brought back a memory (and chuckle) or two....thanks Don!

Nittany79 07-08-2017 09:30 AM

Sadly

We have been coming to the big lake from Pennsylvania for the past 25 years. This was the first year we missed due to the deterioration of the smallmouth bass fishery due to the rock bass explosion. I've witnessed a disturbing decline over the past 10 years. Hopefully the "old girl" can remedy herself but I'm not optimistic.

garysanfran 07-08-2017 09:55 AM

Took for granted this is a small mouth...

1 Attachment(s)
Please tell me I'm not wrong? If this is a rock bass, I begin a new phase of fishing.

Top-Water 07-08-2017 10:14 AM

That looks like a smallmouth.

I wish I had taken photos of the rock bass we killed the other day and smallmouth we let go to show side by side the differences.

I always cringe a little when we talk about killing fish out of fear that some folks will kill the wrong ones, especially smallmouth bass they are very similar to rock bass in appearance.

Rock bass photo here
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ight=rock+bass

kawishiwi 07-08-2017 11:50 AM

Tis a smallie

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 281453)
Please tell me I'm not wrong? If this is a rock bass, I begin a new phase of fishing.

Thats a Smallmouth bass.

DesertDweller 07-08-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 281461)
Thats a Smallmouth bass.

And a nice one at that......

Nittany79, I been coming up to the lake for about 15 years or so and bought a place about 4 years ago. Maybe the small mouth fishing is not as great as it once was but it's still pretty good. My experience has been if you get on them you really get on them and you have a blast.

Not sure where in PA you are from but grew up in PA myself (outside of Philadelphia) and went to school at Bucknell. Won't find much better small mouth fishing than the Susquehanna River (or at least it was back in my day) so if that is the alternative then it's a good one.

Teddyballgame 07-08-2017 02:10 PM

Rock Bass

I've seen so many Rock Bass this year and know that they are dangerously invasive, is it possible to eradicate them from the lake? I've also noticed that salmon fishing is much slower this year, hopefully it's just my salmon fishing skills vs their population being negatively affected by the Rock Bass.

noreast 07-08-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

I've never seen that, It's hilarious. I hope he retired from science.

Grant 07-10-2017 08:52 PM

Quote:

Don't get me started. ;)

winnienox 08-23-2017 03:33 PM

Just curious, what impact do rock bass have on the lake ecosystem? Will definitely be on the lookout from now on... are red eyes the most distinguishing characteristic?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

rsmlp 08-25-2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnienox (Post 284535)
Just curious, what impact do rock bass have on the lake ecosystem? Will definitely be on the lookout from now on... are red eyes the most distinguishing characteristic?

Rock Bass are very easy to distinguish between Smallmouth Bass. They are shaped like Sunfish but have the coloring of Smallmouth BUT have RED eyes. Really red. Can't miss them.

ishoot308 08-25-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnienox (Post 284535)

Basically it's a very invasive and quickly multiplying species that completely takes over Smallmouth Bass territory. One of their primary food is yellow perch fry which is the primary reason (in my opinion) for the massive reduction of yellow perch in the lake possibly crayfish too. Once Rock Bass are introduced to a lake, they are nearly if not completely impossible to eradicate. They are quite good to eat however!! Please keep, eat or kill everyone you catch!

Here you go.... http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fish...rock-bass.html

Dan