Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Pellet stove maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25117)

dogma 10-25-2019 06:51 AM

Pellet stove maintenance

Looking for someone to do annual check and maintenance on our pellet stove. We live in Alton. Thanks for any leads.

SAB1 10-25-2019 07:06 AM

Really isn’t anything to do but clean it unless you have a problem. Manual would explain the process and wouldn’t take more than hour and a half.

dogma 10-25-2019 07:10 AM

May need adjustments . Would not ask if we had not done what we could.

SAB1 10-25-2019 08:19 AM

Maybe try abundant down 28 toward Chichester

Trail Goer 10-25-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogma (Post 321843)
Looking for someone to do annual check and maintenance on our pellet stove. We live in Alton. Thanks for any leads.

Where did you buy the stove? They don't have tech that can come out and service the stove? My father lives in southern, NH and has his pellet stove serviced at the end of the season every year by the same place he bought it from, I believe he bought it from The Stove Shop in Windham, NH. I have no idea if Alton is too far for them, you would have to call and find out.

dogma 10-25-2019 09:54 AM

We adopted it when we moved in 4 years ago.. seller had little to offer. Do all we can and have depended on guys who are too busy or don't come this far. I will try Abundant and see if they have a recommendation. Thanks

upthesaukee 10-25-2019 12:33 PM

Brand

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogma (Post 321862)
We adopted it when we moved in 4 years ago.. seller had little to offer. Do all we can and have depended on guys who are too busy or don't come this far. I will try Abundant and see if they have a recommendation. Thanks

Perhaps the brand name of the stove would yield better results.

Dave

dogma 10-25-2019 12:58 PM

I stopped by Fire and Stone in Tilton. They provide service so I am all set for mid-November. And one year soon we may need to replace and I have heard good things about them.

dpg 10-28-2019 11:32 AM

What about that place right off the traffic circle just down the street from the McDonalds in Meredith? Don't they sells stoves and fireplace goodies? Are they any good there?

Slickcraft 10-28-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogma (Post 321884)
I stopped by Fire and Stone in Tilton. They provide service so I am all set for mid-November. And one year soon we may need to replace and I have heard good things about them.

Fire & Stone has done work for us. Quality work at a reasonable cost.

Oh and it was 82 deg at Myrtle Beach today:D

bigdog 10-30-2019 03:21 PM

No Ash from pellet stove ?

I purchased a used QuadraFire Mt Vernon pellet stove about 10 yrs old (not Anniversary model).

I have no ash in the clean-out drawer of my pellet stove. Actually, not much ash in the burner area either ?

Pellet stove is working great and throws a lot of heat, but no ash ?
I'm burning 'Green Supreme' pellets.

Thoughts ?

MAXUM 10-30-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 322142)
I purchased a used QuadraFire Mt Vernon pellet stove about 10 yrs old (not Anniversary model).

I have no ash in the clean-out drawer of my pellet stove. Actually, not much ash in the burner area either ?

Thoughts ?

From what I understand the amount of ash generated is a combination of the pellet makeup, hard or softwood, and the ash content.

This provides an explanation of the ash content as it relates to the actual ash generated from burning.

http://www.gemcopelletmills.com/wood...h-content.html

If you are not generating much ash I would think that is exactly what you want. Good pellets, good burn, lots of heat, little ash. What's not to love with that situation.

Also should be noted low ash generation means less cleaning especially in or around the feed system, burn pot and heat exchangers.

SAB1 10-30-2019 07:44 PM

Count your blessings Big. I can’t explain that. I burned green supreme last year and they made more ash than any other pellet I’ve burned. So much so I’ll never buy them again.

ishoot308 10-30-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Thoughts ?

Since you say you have “no ash” there has to be an issue...maybe excessive venting and all the ash is getting sucked out the flu??

Just a thought...

Dan

iw8surf 10-31-2019 04:48 AM

Quote:

Thoughts ?

I had the exact same pellet stove for about 6 years and absolutely loved it.

I found green supreme pellets burned the best with that stove. I use to get plenty of ash build up around the glass, fire pot and inside the main stove. In the dead of winter with the stove running daily I would shut it down and fully clean it once a week depending on how it looked, when mine would get too full the exhaust would start a very slight vibration. I would take out all the access panels and hit it with a paintbrush and ash vacuum. Other than that I use to just cycle the burn pot drop can and let any ash build up or clinkers fall through the burn pot. Link below is for the manual.

https://downloads.hearthnhome.com/in...S_7019_802.pdf

bigdog 10-31-2019 01:30 PM

Thanks for everyone's feedback, much appreciated !

I Believe iShoot308 may have hit the head on the nail !
There does seem to be excessive venting, and I can see ash and occasional sparks being sucked out the flu pipe to the outside.

The stove-pipe runs vertical behind the stove, up about 5’, then out through the wall, where there is ‘angled’ end pipe downward. I could not install the pipe directly from the stove horizontally, because there is an electric meter and wires on the other side of the wall at that level, hence I had to go up, then out.

The exhaust blower is loud and seems very powerful, so loud we must turn up the volume on the TV.

I was told that the noise in is common the older Mt Vernon models, but that a new blower may resolve the issue, as the motors are much quieter, and may do more research......