Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stop itching! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23436)

radiocontester 06-20-2018 07:29 PM

Stop itching!

Folks,

I thought I'd pass along a home remedy for itchy bug bites that I have had great success with.

A few years ago my wife and I traveled to Punta Cana for vacation and upon our return home we started itching like crazy from what seemed like hundreds of bites from no-see-ums. We tried several over-the-counter creams, ointments etc but they provided little relief. Out of options I started researching home remedies online and came across an interesting one involving a hair dryer. The remedy is to use the hair dryer to heat up the itchy bite to the point in which it starts to hurt (don't burn yourself!). Stop applying heat when it gets to the point where it begins to hurt. Note: While heating up the bite it may feel even itchier for a second, but as it continues to receive the heat the itchiness is replaced by a burning feel. Again, be careful not to burn yourself. After the heat is removed you will have instant relief that lasts for hours. I'm not kidding. Just the other day I had a bite that was so itchy I could barely sleep. I treated the itch using the hair dryer and it hasn't itched since.

Give it a try!

MeredithMan 06-20-2018 08:48 PM

call me old fashioned, but--

...I prefer scratch it till it just about bleeds and then douse it with either After-Bite, Hydrogen Peroxide, or Rubbing Alcohol. Stings momentarily like a Mother
F_____, but it's a good pain....:eek::eek: My daughter the newly crowned RN gives me heck, but the itch goes away!

ishoot308 06-21-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radiocontester (Post 296331)
Folks,

I thought I'd pass along a home remedy for itchy bug bites that I have had great success with.

A few years ago my wife and I traveled to Punta Cana for vacation and upon our return home we started itching like crazy from what seemed like hundreds of bites from no-see-ums. We tried several over-the-counter creams, ointments etc but they provided little relief. Out of options I started researching home remedies online and came across an interesting one involving a hair dryer. The remedy is to use the hair dryer to heat up the itchy bite to the point in which it starts to hurt (don't burn yourself!). Stop applying heat when it gets to the point where it begins to hurt. Note: While heating up the bite it may feel even itchier for a second, but as it continues to receive the heat the itchiness is replaced by a burning feel. Again, be careful not to burn yourself. After the heat is removed you will have instant relief that lasts for hours. I'm not kidding. Just the other day I had a bite that was so itchy I could barely sleep. I treated the itch using the hair dryer and it hasn't itched since.

Give it a try!

I too have heard about using heat but actually it was hot water which also works very well!

Thanks for the tip!

Dan

Dad sold the C * C 06-21-2018 08:34 AM

I use the hot water method for poison ivy. slowly increase the water temp on the affected area; it can hurt, but it's "good pain" the itching stops for a while. just make sure to blot it with paper towels as it will weep.

noreast 06-21-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad sold the C * C (Post 296351)
I use the hot water method for poison ivy. slowly increase the water temp on the affected area; it can hurt, but it's "good pain" the itching stops for a while. just make sure to blot it with paper towels as it will weep.

Yup, I go as hot as my skin can take without bubbling and hold the shower head in hand and put it all over the poison Ivy, The feeling is spectacular!

Tallyho 06-24-2018 11:47 AM

itching

I've been using Witch Hazel since I was a little guy, and it's always worked well for me.

SIKSUKR 06-27-2018 12:19 PM

The hottest water you can stand is by far the best relief I've ever found for poison ivy.It lasts for quite a while.I would assume this would also apply for bug bite itching.

Sinclair 07-01-2018 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 296334)
...I prefer scratch it till it just about bleeds and then douse it with either After-Bite, Hydrogen Peroxide, or Rubbing Alcohol. Stings momentarily like a Mother

F_____, but it's a good pain....:eek::eek: My daughter the newly crowned RN gives me heck, but the itch goes away!

We've recently started applying After-Bite to the kids (sans the scratching/bleeding) and it's been very successful.

ishoot308 07-01-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair (Post 296861)
We've recently started applying After-Bite to the kids (sans the scratching/bleeding) and it's been very successful.

After bite works great! I think it’s mostly ammonia but it does work excellent!

Dan