Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weather (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   More Snow, Dec. 20 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5389)

CanisLupusArctos 12-20-2007 09:10 PM

More Snow, Dec. 20

Today Black Cat Weather recorded 10.0 inches of new snow. At 9 p.m. it's just spitting snowflakes here and there, and the moon is shining through the clouds.

There is a remarkable snowpack for mid-December. 18 inches is about the average. The snow total for the month so far is 23.6 inches and we've only been above freezing twice (36 both times) so most of that snow is still around. The reason the pack isn't higher is because of compaction - the snow's weight upon itself - and evaporation during the day.

Today's snow melted down to 0.37" of rain equivalent.

jrc 12-20-2007 09:50 PM

All I know is that it hasn't stopped snowing since you "weather people" got your forum.

Don't try to convince me that it's just a coincidence. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

CanisLupusArctos 12-21-2007 12:15 AM

Jrc, you know too much. Keep it quiet... ssshhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :D

Btw, just when we thought it was safe to put the snow shovel back in the garage... it kept snowing this evening, even with the moon appearing from behind the clouds.

Nearly another half inch brings this latest storm total to 10.4 inches... our second biggest dumping of the season/month so far, after the Dec. 3 storm. And to think this wasn't even a well-hyped Nor'Easter or anything like that, just a measly little inverted trough extending from a system well offshore. Welcome to New England.

Blue Thunder 12-21-2007 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos (Post 60449)
Jrc, you know too much. Keep it quiet... ssshhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :D

Btw, just when we thought it was safe to put the snow shovel back in the garage... it kept snowing this evening, even with the moon appearing from behind the clouds.

Nearly another half inch brings this latest storm total to 10.4 inches... our second biggest dumping of the season/month so far, after the Dec. 3 storm. And to think this wasn't even a well-hyped Nor'Easter or anything like that, just a measly little inverted trough extending from a system well offshore. Welcome to New England.

CLA,
Isn't the phenomenon of the Norlun Trough fascinating? Walt Drag of the Boston NWS office was the only one to pull the trigger on the extent of what it would do and the significant accumulations and he did it Wed afternoon. Here is what he posted Wed late afternoon:
NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...
-- Changed Discussion --AS YOU ARE PROBABLY AWARE...MODEL TEMPERATURES IN THE BOUNDARY LAYER ARE
SLIGHTLY TOO WARM THIS EVENING. THAT MEANS TROUBLE FOR THIS FCST ISSUANCE...THINK
MORE SNOW AND COLDER.

WE`VE PARTIALLY RECOGNIZED THIS PROBLEM IN MIDDAY UPDATES... BUT IF THE
18Z MODEL RUNS ARE CORRECT...WE`RE GOING TO END UP WITH SUBSTANTIALLY
MORE SNOW BOSTON ALONG THE COAST TO NEWBURYPORT THAN ISSUED AT 4 PM.

BE ALERT FOR A POSSIBLE UPGRADE ON 4AM THURSDAY FCST TO A WARNING 8
INCH SNOWFALL IN PARTS OF ESSEX COUNTY MASS AND EASTERN HILLSBOROUGH
COUNTY NH. WE ARE NOT OFFICIAL ON THIS YET SINCE INTERIM NCEP MODEL
RUNS ARE THE ONLY BIG CHANGE ON QPF AND WE WANT 00Z RUNS TO FALL IN
LINE WITH THIS.

RIGHT NOW WE STAY WITH ADVISORIES AS POSTED BUT THE BATCH OF SNOW COMING
INTO SW CT AT 530 PM IS GOING TO GO STATIONARY TOMORROW MORNING IN NE MASS
AND S CENTRAL NH AND WITH LARGE DENDRITIC GROWTH I CAN SEE ANOTHER 6+
SNOW EVENT.

Blue Thunder

gtxrider 12-21-2007 07:13 AM

???

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos (Post 60445)
Today Black Cat Weather recorded 10.0 inches of new snow. At 9 p.m. it's just spitting snowflakes here and there, and the moon is shining through the clouds.

There is a remarkable snowpack for mid-December. 18 inches is about the average. The snow total for the month so far is 23.6 inches and we've only been above freezing twice (36 both times) so most of that snow is still around. The reason the pack isn't higher is because of compaction - the snow's weight upon itself - and evaporation during the day.

Today's snow melted down to 0.37" of rain equivalent.

All the snow must be from Global Warming or perhaps FLL and his noisy snow blower.

SteveA 12-21-2007 08:41 AM

Yuki has something to say...

1 Attachment(s)
" If the hummingbirds are smart enough to head south.. so am I "

"Y1... Y2... what I should wait for Y3?", "Not Likely ! "

KBoater 12-21-2007 10:36 AM

Heading North

All right CLA so what can I expect tomorrrow afternoon.:rolleye1::rolleye2:

Dancers please STOP for 48 hours. :banana::banana:

Chickie 12-21-2007 11:05 AM

Personal Message to Yuki

Has Charlie headed south as well, or has he been left behind to do the heavy lifting of measuring the snow depths? Just curious.

SIKSUKR 12-21-2007 03:09 PM

Wow Blue Thunder,extra points for knowing about a Norlun trough.We had one 2 years ago with pretty much the same results.

CanisLupusArctos 12-22-2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 60450)
CLA,
Isn't the phenomenon of the Norlun Trough fascinating? Walt Drag of the Boston NWS office was the only one to pull the trigger on the extent of what it would do and the significant accumulations and he did it Wed afternoon. Here is what he posted Wed late afternoon:
Blue Thunder

Walt Drag is one of my favorite forecasters for that reason. He's one of those people whose words sometimes make his boss's hair prematurely gray, and when he's right he's totally right. In one of my journalism classes in 2003 we had to do an in-depth story and I chose Boston weather forecasting. Drag is prominently featured in that article. I posted it on my web site. Here's a link:

http://www.thesilentforest.com/journ...tonweather.htm

Blue Thunder 12-23-2007 03:27 PM

Great article CLA, Thanks for sharing.

BT

CanisLupusArctos 12-23-2007 03:39 PM

Photos posted

Thank you Blue Thunder. Today I updated the weather photo gallery on the Winnipesaukee WeatherCenter site with images of our most recent wintry weather. You'll also find one of the most incredible sunrises we've had in a while (a couple days ago) and "the penguin mallards" as I call them. When you go to the site, the photo gallery link is at the top of the menu.