Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best vacation spot for New visitors? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20268)

rhode islander 02-24-2016 11:20 AM

Best vacation spot for New visitors?

hello,

My family and I are planning a vacation in August to the Lake and we have our boat in tow. Where would be the best spot to stay and have our boat docked for 5 days. Also joining us would be our golden retriever.

Right now Naswa Resort is our choice.

thanks in advance!

MeredithMan 02-24-2016 11:54 AM

Have you considered renting a house/cottage?

Rhode-Islander--

The lake is awesome for a family vaca. Have you considered renting a cottage or house? With a family, boat, and a Golden, that would give you more living space, a dock, and yard space for the dog. Bayside Rentals and VRBO.com are the first two sources that come to mind...

All of the towns on the lake are beautiful but just bear in mind that if you are coming from RI, it will be longer to get to say Moultonboro or Tuftonboro, than it would be to get to Laconia or Gilford. If drive-time is not an issue, then don't worry about it. I'm sure you will get lots of great input on this topic.

Have a great time!

Gatto Nero 02-24-2016 12:08 PM

Since you have a boat if you are up for an adventure you might consider renting an island property.

rhode islander 02-24-2016 12:16 PM

thank you! it would only be for 5 days, i'll have to take a look at those sites.

What is the site for the island property?

Also, I forgot to ask, We have our boat registered and all, do we need to do anything extra for taking a boat in the water in another state?

Gatto Nero 02-24-2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhode islander (Post 257448)

What is the site for the island property?

VRBO has island rentals as well.

dam1960 02-24-2016 12:53 PM

Check out

https://preferredrentals.com/

Which is a Winnipesaukee Forum sponsor also.

Disclaimer: No, I do not have any ties or relationship to Preferred.

NoBozo 02-24-2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhode islander (Post 257448)
Also, I forgot to ask, We have our boat registered and all, do we need to do anything extra for taking a boat in the water in another state?

You need a "Certificate of Boating Safety Education" (NASBLA) to operate a boat on the lake. You can get one at RI DEM in Providence at the Foundry. You have to study, then take a proctored written exam given every two weeks at The Foundry in Providence. You can call RI DEM and they will send you a package of study material. NB

GTO 02-24-2016 01:01 PM

Paugus bay

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhode islander (Post 257442)
hello,

My family and I are planning a vacation in August to the Lake and we have our boat in tow. Where would be the best spot to stay and have our boat docked for 5 days. Also joining us would be our golden retriever.

Right now Naswa Resort is our choice.

thanks in advance!

The Naswa is located close to the channel with a lot of boat traffic on weekends. It can be a pain going in and out to the big lake sometimes. Its also located on a busy road, not good for walking the Golden. I agree with Gatto on this one, rent a house for the week

Janet 02-24-2016 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dam1960 (Post 257452)
Check out

Disclaimer: No, I do not have any ties or relationship to Preferred.

Rhode Islander - my family has used Preferred Vacation Rentals for many years and have always been happy with their services and the properties that are available. We've rented in Moultonborough and Melvin Village areas and find those areas less busy for boating and water activities.

rhode islander 02-24-2016 02:03 PM

thank you for all the suggestions.

We have a 6 and 10 year old and would like to do water activities. I'm so overwhelmed by locations. HELP! LOL

dam1960 02-24-2016 02:13 PM

NASWA is a great place, but probably not what you are looking for with a 6, 10 year old and dog. As mentioned the Moultonboro/ Melvin village areas are probably more what you're looking for.

WakeboardMom 02-24-2016 02:21 PM

I have a cottage that I offer for rent, but we don't take pets, so I can't offer it to Rhode Islander. But I can say that HomeAway and VRBO are very user friendly.

I put "Lake Winnipesaukee" into the HomeAway search box using the random dates of August 6 to the 11 and "4 guests." You can then use other filters, so I clicked on "pets considered." The original search turned up 62 responses; after I filtered for pets and waterfront it came back with 6 responses.

Here's an example: https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p127751vb

I'm sure you'll find something suitable!

JasonG 02-24-2016 04:02 PM

Something to keep in mind with the Naswa when we stayed there last ( about 10 years ago ) is that it is a party location at the beach. With a beach bar right on the lake it is what you would expect. Back then with the kids being infants it was a bit tough. Wife and I now for the weekend we would like it. All about taste.

ApS 02-24-2016 07:08 PM

Rhode islander—you have mail.

:look:

smith point boater 02-25-2016 07:05 AM

Another place to look

There is also a new Facebook page "Lake Winnipesaukee Homes" that you might check out and/or post your request there. Good luck - previous posters are giving you great advice

webmaster 02-25-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dam1960 (Post 257452)
Check out

Thanks for mentioning that. If anyone here does use Preferred Rentals (or any other sponsor) please mention that you saw their ad on winnipesaukee.com. It really helps. Just a few of those will often justify running the ad.

rhode islander 02-25-2016 10:45 AM

thank you all for great suggestions!!

Janet 02-25-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 257508)
Thanks for mentioning that. If anyone here does use Preferred Rentals (or any other sponsor) please mention that you saw their ad on winnipesaukee.com. It really helps. Just a few of those will often justify running the ad.

Thanks Webmaster for the suggestion. We certainly will mention winnipesaukee.com when communicating and checking in with Preferred. We're all set for 6 weeks this summer at the same house in Melvin Village we rented from Preferred last year.

Phantom 02-26-2016 10:24 AM

Boat / Family ?

Ames Farm comes to mind !

Abakee Cottages would have been good, but no pets allowed

fatlazyless 02-26-2016 10:34 AM

Hey, how's about that www.oliverlodge.com, down on Meredith Neck, for a place away from the crowds ..... more or less?

gillygirl 02-26-2016 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 257560)
Boat / Family ?

Ames Farm comes to mind !

Abakee Cottages would have been good, but no pets allowed

No pets at Ames Farm, either.

rhode islander 02-26-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillygirl (Post 257572)
No pets at Ames Farm, either.

thank you everyone. We have actually found someone to stay with our dog. Right now Ames Farm and Naswa Resort look good for leaving the boat docked for our stay.

Donzi Minx 02-26-2016 01:00 PM

Best Spot to stay

Without getting too biased, unless you are a Metallica fan, Ames Farm would be a better bet. Although there is decent boat traffic going East to West in front of Diamond Island, the sandy bay associated with Ames is usually pretty calm for water sports. The plus is that you will have almost central access to the lake by Diamond Island out to the broads.

Having enjoyed almost 50 years of that exact area in West Alton, it is far less congested than the Naswa.

Wherever you land you will be immediately seduced by the "Lake".

Just my .02 worth, and as they say Whatever floats your boat.

rhode islander 02-26-2016 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donzi Minx (Post 257580)
Without getting too biased, unless you are a Metallica fan, Ames Farm would be a better bet. Although there is decent boat traffic going East to West in front of Diamond Island, the sandy bay associated with Ames is usually pretty calm for water sports. The plus is that you will have almost central access to the lake by Diamond Island out to the broads.

Having enjoyed almost 50 years of that exact area in West Alton, it is far less congested than the Naswa.

Wherever you land you will be immediately seduced by the "Lake".

Just my .02 worth, and as they say Whatever floats your boat.

Thank you so much! I just emailed them for pricing. basically we'll go where we get a better price. Naswa does have kids eat free and activities on some nights for the kids.

Mirror Lake's BB 02-26-2016 01:26 PM

Preferred Rentals

They were bought out by a company called "Natural Retreats" over the winter. I called them for information around the holidays and was not impressed by their knowledge of the rental industry. I would steer clear of them for their first season in the area.

Dave R 02-26-2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhode islander (Post 257581)
Thank you so much! I just emailed them for pricing. basically we'll go where we get a better price. Naswa does have kids eat free and activities on some nights for the kids.

You can always take the boat to Naswa even if you stay elsewhere. They have good food and the festive atmosphere there is fun (but perhaps like others have stated, not for 5 days straight...).

rhode islander 02-26-2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 257586)
You can always take the boat to Naswa even if you stay elsewhere. They have good food and the festive atmosphere there is fun (but perhaps like others have stated, not for 5 days straight...).

AAHHHH I can't seem to find a place one the lake to have our boat docked for the 5 days for less than $1000.

WakeboardMom 02-26-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhode islander (Post 257587)
AAHHHH I can't seem to find a place one the lake to have our boat docked for the 5 days for less than $1000.

I put all you criteria into HomeAway.com and came up empty-handed. You'd either have to leave the boat home, or increase your budget. :(

jbolty 02-26-2016 03:28 PM

You can always stay near the lake and trailer the boat to the water. Chances are you will not go in the boat every single day.

rhode islander 02-26-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 257595)
You can always stay near the lake and trailer the boat to the water. Chances are you will not go in the boat every single day.

we were planning on going boating everyday. Since we live in a city we want to enjoy the lake. And hubby doesn't want to trailer the water everyday. :-/

Dave R 02-26-2016 03:51 PM

Quote:

Rent a bigger place with another family and split the cost. I did that many times and those were my favorite family vacations of all time. One time I rented the same place for two weeks in a row with two different families (the overlap weekend was really fun). The second family kept it another week after that and they now still rent it every year.

A lake house, a boat (with tubes, water skis, wake boards etc.), and a group of kids is fun for everyone (except maybe the neighborhood curmudgeon). The kids will be completely wiped out by 9 PM every night and the adults can sit on the dock until really late and watch the spectacular night sky while sipping tasty beverages. At least that's how it worked out for us. Man, sometimes I wish my adult offspring were still kids...

jbolty 02-26-2016 03:58 PM

Some of the marinas offer valet service

here's a couple to start with

http://www.meredithmarina.com/custom...pg=slips_valet

http://www.shepbrowns.com/

http://www.trexlers.com/

Or you could rent a boat for the week. If you stay off the water maybe the cost would almost offset.

Grasping for ideas.

MAXUM 02-26-2016 03:59 PM

Quote:

Well if you are up for a little bit of an adventure you could look into renting a cabin on 3 Mile Island, run by the AMC.

http://www.3mile.org/

I don't think you can bring your boat though....

Mirror Lake's BB 02-26-2016 05:30 PM

Wolfeboro Area Suggestions

Here are two other places to check out, one even allows dogs I believe, and they both have dock space at reasonable prices.

http://pipingrockresort.com/

http://sunsetlodges.com/Home.php

Sunset Lodges is a little bit more rustic as you can see by the photos.

Both are in quiet settings.

Good luck.

luvthewarmth 02-26-2016 06:10 PM

I know I'm prejudiced, but Wolfeboro is a great family town. On the water, plenty of restaurants, ice-cream shops and the great rails to trails Cotton Valley path if you do bring the dog, even if you don't. Check it out.

Dad sold the C * C 02-26-2016 06:52 PM

Most waterfront houses go from Saturday to Saturday and they would be closer to 2K a week or more.

The idea of another family works well, we have done this in the past. Also if your not wedded to the Big lake you my find something on Winnisquam; its smaller and you can't really "boat to dinner" or a town destination. On the other hand it's easier to find your way around and very few hazards. Also because of its shape, there are not many days you just can't go on the water.

Good luck and hope you find a great spot for wonderful memories

NoBozo 02-26-2016 07:17 PM

How It Works ...on the lake

MOST..IF Not All the place's ON the lake (with docks) have been "Booked" the year before. People come in..they like the place..and they book again....year after year. When they are departing, after their stay...they Book again.. right then...for the next year. The only way you get in is if you Luck Out and someone has died, and THEN there is a SLOT that pops up.

Good Luck. It's hit or miss. It may take you a year or two to get in.. to the place you have picked as the place you want. :look::look: NB

PS: OFF Season works....Dogs OK..trouble is..Your Kids are back in school. ...

TiltonBB 02-26-2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 257613)
MOST..IF Not All the place's ON the lake (with docks) have been "Booked" the year before. People come in..they like the place..and they book again....year after year. When they are departing, after their stay...they Book again.. right then...for the next year. The only way you get in is if you Luck Out and someone has died, and THEN there is a SLOT that pops up.

Good Luck. It's hit or miss. It may take you a year or two to get in.. to the place you have picked as the place you want. :look::look: NB

PS: OFF Season works....Dogs OK..trouble is..Your Kids are back in school. ...

That is not the case as I know it.

I have had a rental house on the lake for the last 14 years that sleeps 10 and the two houses next to mine are also summer weekly rentals. I do not start to take new reservations until January and at that time this year only three weeks were already spoken for by previous renters. I still have a couple of weeks left, although they are not the best weeks. (June 25th and August 20th) Bike Week is also still available. My two neighbors both had weeks go unfilled last summer although my rental was full all summer. All of our houses have docks.

So, no one has to die and you will not need luck, you just need to look around and you will find something. There is plenty of availability.

Outdoorsman 02-26-2016 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhode islander (Post 257573)
thank you everyone. We have actually found someone to stay with our dog. Right now Ames Farm and Naswa Resort look good for leaving the boat docked for our stay.

I will Second (or third) that Naswa is a party spot, especially on the weekends. Given the fact that you have 2 children that would also be enjoying the week with you, Ames Farm is the better choice. The location to the "big lake" is much better too, you do not have to deal with the water traffic making your way out to Lake Winnipesakee.

Irish Choppers 02-27-2016 09:40 AM

Winnipesaukee Forum Classifieds

I saw this ad posted under the classified links on the Winni forum. It looks like it's waterfront, has a dock, and a week available in August and it's right at your budget of $1000.00

"only one week open in July, and only one week in Aug. still available. Lake front and dock to swim or fish or chill out on. Cottage sleeps 6, fully equipped kitchen , with full bath, A/C thru out,packing for 3 cars . phone and WIFI, flat screen TV in each room with cable, fireplace with gas log. large screened in front porch with great view of lake. call or text 760-844-2204/// WE LIVE IN SAN DIEGO, CA. 3 HOUR BEHIND EAST COAST"

Here's the link to the ad. You'll see a nice picture of the property.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...?do=ad&id=8143

NoBozo 02-27-2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 257615)
That is not the case as I know it.

I have had a rental house on the lake for the last 14 years that sleeps 10 and the two houses next to mine are also summer weekly rentals. I do not start to take new reservations until January and at that time this year only three weeks were already spoken for by previous renters. I still have a couple of weeks left, although they are not the best weeks. (June 25th and August 20th) Bike Week is also still available. My two neighbors both had weeks go unfilled last summer although my rental was full all summer. All of our houses have docks.

So, no one has to die and you will not need luck, you just need to look around and you will find something. There is plenty of availability.

This is the case as I know it: We have been staying at same place for over 20 years. We snuk in back then when a two day "opening" came up while we were passing through on our way to Lake George. We came back a week later and grabbed two more days. Since then we have been staying there... after mid September for two weeks. Boat dock for free. Not making it up..don't need to. Not going to mention the name..No need to: They are booked. :D NB

PS: This is a cabin with full kitchen, wood fireplace, living room, one bedroom, and dock. 2016 season: OFF season: A Family W/ extra bedroom..would pay $1000/week. (In season this would be $1350.) WE are just two old coots and it's $760/week....Again: OFF Season. Just sayin. :)

TiltonBB 02-27-2016 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 257649)
This is the case as I know it: We have been staying at same place for over 20 years. We snuk in back then when a two day "opening" came up while we were passing through on our way to Lake George. We came back a week later and grabbed two more days. Since then we have been staying there... after mid September for two weeks. Boat dock for free. Not making it up..don't need to. Not going to mention the name..No need to: They are booked. :D NB

PS: This is a cabin with full kitchen, wood fireplace, living room, one bedroom, and dock. 2016 season: OFF season: A Family W/ extra bedroom..would pay $1003/week. (In season this would be $1355.) WE are just two old coots and it's $764/week....Again: OFF Season. Just sayin. :)

That is great and it certainly explains your singular experience renting the same place every year as a visitor to the lake. I hope you enjoy your stay!

However, there are multiple examples of numerous places for rent, beyond what I have described here. My rental, as well as the two houses next to mine start every season with over 75% vacancy. There is plenty of availability around the entire lake.

I would hate to discourage people wishing to rent and enjoy a vacation at the lake with incorrect information. As I stated, no one has to die, no one has to "sneak in" you don't even have to wait in line, there is plenty of availability.

Winnisquamer 02-28-2016 11:28 AM

I agree. I've never had an issue finding a rental, started as a child with my parents renting places, rented a place after prom in highschool, rented a different place every summer through college, and now actually live in a year round rental on the lake. Saying you'll never find one unless people die is complete nonsense. Search the Internet and make some calls, you will find a place.

salty dog 02-28-2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnisquamer (Post 257658)
I agree. I've never had an issue finding a rental, started as a child with my parents renting places, rented a place after prom in highschool, rented a different place every summer through college, and now actually live in a year round rental on the lake. Saying you'll never find one unless people die is complete nonsense. Search the Internet and make some calls, you will find a place.

True, if you dig deep enough and explore you will find a place. It was more difficult where we wanted to find a cabin right on the lakefront; a place that would allow a dog, and had a boat dock. We found that combo seemed far and few between. We first rented a cabin on Smith Point, West Alton in the summer of '07. However, we did not like it for various reasons but found that once we were there for the week we could look around, talk to some other "walkers" we would meet, and look at other local possibilities. We ended up selecting a rustic cabin on Railroad Ave, just perfect with the most beautiful views. There is a 28' dock right out the back screened in porch, granite outcroppings and a beach just 8 houses down the road plus it's very affordable. We love it, Sadie loves it and, and all our friends and family who come up. We now go back for two weeks every season to kick back and relax.

bigdog 02-28-2016 05:19 PM

I used 'Preferred Rentals' a few times before buying a permanent resident.

They were great, professional, and rental properties were as advertised.

Good hunting

rhode islander 02-29-2016 09:18 AM

Thank you everyone for your tips, sites and help!! there are many places available, but I dont' want to settle for something without doing research! :-)

You all are so helpful. thank you!! :D

rhode islander 02-29-2016 09:43 AM

Has anyone ever stayed at the Ames Farm Inn apartments?

Phantom 02-29-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

I think that you are going to be VERY hard pressed to find anything on the Lake (regardless of location) where you can dock a boat, and have two bedrooms and keep it under $1,000.

If the dog stays home, your best bets (family oriented & docking) have been mentioned.....Abakee, Ames, Olivers amongst a few others that come to mind Center Harbour Hotel, Silver Sands, Sandy Point or even the Naswa (not so family in my mind).

rhode islander 02-29-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 257725)
I think that you are going to be VERY hard pressed to find anything on the Lake (regardless of location) where you can dock a boat, and have two bedrooms and keep it under $1,000.

If the dog stays home, your best bets (family oriented & docking) have been mentioned.....Abakee, Ames, Olivers amongst a few others that come to mind Center Harbour Hotel, Silver Sands, Sandy Point or even the Naswa (not so family in my mind).

I have narrowed it down to a few now that we are not taking the dog. :-)

Phantom 02-29-2016 01:01 PM

If you are considering Abakee .. Book SOON !!

During early March is when it gets sold out for the season .... looking at the website (updated last Thursday 2/25) there are still a few good cottages in Prime summer weeks if your versatile on your dates.

http://www.abakeecottages.com/availability.html

But, as with anyplace, DON'T Delay !

PM me if you want more info on the place --

fatlazyless 02-29-2016 01:29 PM

.....become an islander?

Want to have your own island with a large A-frame cottage on it? www.oliverlodge.com has one for rent......if you've seen it .....you probably remember it .....it's the very small island with the A-frame cottage almost as big as the island .....close to the north end of the no wake zone close to Pine Island and the Y-Landing Marina ....... that's the one.....and it's for rent.

Become an islander!

rhode islander 03-03-2016 04:18 PM

well we decided on Ames Farm Inn! Can NOT wait!!!

thank you EVERYONE for your suggests!

bigdog 03-03-2016 08:17 PM

If you are looking for a small cottage 'Yacht Club Vista' in Gilford is nice.
I rented there years ago with the family and had a great vacation.

They have cottages directly on the water, boat slips, and a great view of Saunders Bay. Not large units but similar to Ames Farm setup, with beach right there in front.

If you have a boat I believe the slip is included, at least it use to be ?
Conveniently located in the center of activities dining, shopping, etc.

http://yachtclubvista.org/

Here's an old pic I happened to find on Winnie Forum believe it or not...http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=2281