Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mug by the bay center harbor closed (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22782)

stynx55 11-12-2017 09:12 AM

Mug by the bay center harbor closed

The wife and I went this morning and it was closed with a for sale sign. To bad we enjoyed breakfast there.

thinkxingu 11-12-2017 10:04 AM

I forgot to post this yesterday. I also enjoyed their breakfast!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Janet 11-12-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stynx55 (Post 287584)
The wife and I went this morning and it was closed with a for sale sign. To bad we enjoyed breakfast there.

Maybe Rosie from "Sam and Rosie" and her daughter will come back.

joey2665 11-12-2017 10:59 AM

What a shame. I hate to see local places close. I liked their food and very convenient to the Center Harbor town dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

phoenix 11-12-2017 04:49 PM

so hard to make it through the winter if you don't have something unique or have a good bar scene. Two closings in Center Harbor since summer.

jeffatsquam 11-12-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 287596)
so hard to make it through the winter if you don't have something unique or have a good bar scene. Two closings in Center Harbor since summer.

Not sure how this logic fits in with the VK or ctr. Harbor diner for that matter.

Almost like you got it backwards

phoenix 11-12-2017 08:16 PM

its my opinion . I love the VK and to me it is unique in that it offers a great dinner meal for less than $10. Again sad to see two places go out of business. Have a good night

rsmlp 11-13-2017 08:17 AM

restaurant business

Absolutely the WORST business ever created. One yelp review away from extinction (or a bad forum review), constant employee turnover, constant worry about employee fraud, bad hours...etc

It's no wonder that the majority don't make it. That said, my wife and I do our best to keep them afloat:D

sky's 11-13-2017 09:02 AM

center harbor diner has the best breakfast and lunch at a fair price

LIforrelaxin 11-13-2017 12:18 PM

The problem isn't always the restaurant... or a bad review etc.....

Sometimes it is about the landlord, and greediness....

If the lease is to much sometimes, start-up or even existing business don't have the savings to keep the business viable during the off season.

I believe if you look at VK or Center Harbor Diner, you will find that not only do they own the business, but they also own the facility....

joey2665 11-13-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 287611)
The problem isn't always the restaurant... or a bad review etc.....

Sometimes it is about the landlord, and greediness....

If the lease is to much sometimes, start-up or even existing business don't have the savings to keep the business viable during the off season.

I believe if you look at VK or Center Harbor Diner, you will find that not only do they own the business, but they also own the facility....

Not always, I am the landlord to a local restaurant and when a competitor opened nearby I reduced the rent to assist them and in the long run it has worked out. The competitor closed and my tenant is still in business

Biggd 11-13-2017 01:33 PM

The restaurant business is a tough business esp. in a seasonal area. Long hours, always short on help, and always some complaints. You can't make everyone happy 100% of the time as seen by many of the comments on this forum.

dpg 11-14-2017 07:39 AM

I agree about the Center Harbor Diner good place. Often "pop" in there because they take plastic also, mine and a lot of peoples preferred way to pay these days.

LIforrelaxin 11-14-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 287613)
Not always, I am the landlord to a local restaurant and when a competitor opened nearby I reduced the rent to assist them and in the long run it has worked out. The competitor closed and my tenant is still in business

Like everything, there are good landlords and bad ones....

Outdoorsman 11-14-2017 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 287606)
Absolutely the WORST business ever created. One yelp review away from extinction (or a bad forum review), constant employee turnover, constant worry about employee fraud, bad hours...etc

It's no wonder that the majority don't make it. That said, my wife and I do our best to keep them afloat:D

I honestly do not get the "yelp" reference that is so often mentioned on this site.

Why would anyone choose to NOT visit a restaurant because they had 6-8 bad reviews? Restaurants serve 1000's of people a month. The insignificant number of "yelp" reviews would not sway me in either direction.

I would like to think that most reasonable people would understand that unless you are a food blogger, the only time you will make such a comment is if you are unsatisfied. How many people have gone to a local eatery and had a great meal and decided they need to log-in/create an account to mention it?

For reference I just checked a few of the popular ones:
47 reviews in 8 years
20 reviews in 6 years
82 reviews in 11 years

And this one just for a kickers that has not been mentioned....
3 reviews in 6 years got this restaurant s 5 star rating.

Biggd 11-14-2017 05:29 PM

I got 2 tell you, a lot of those reviews are BS. Being in business myself, there are some reviews about my business from people I have never heard of and others from people that are completely scewed up. You have to take all those reviews with a grain salt just like everything on the WWW.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 11-14-2017 05:35 PM

Mug by the bay center harbor closed

I went to a restaurant recommended by a friend here in NY that had a bunch of bad reviews on yelp but he said it was good so we gave it a try and i enjoyed it. Great food with a different kind of menu and really nice atmosphere. So i agree yelp is very unreliable.

jbolty 11-14-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 287649)
I went to a restaurant recommended by a friend here in NY that had a bunch of bad reviews on yelp but he said it was good so we gave it a try and i enjoyed it. Great food with a different kind of menu and really nice atmosphere. So i agree yelp is very unreliable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 287648)
I got 2 tell you, a lot of those reviews are BS. Being in business myself, there are some reviews about my business from people I have never heard of and others from people that are completely scewed up. You have to take all those reviews with a grain salt just like everything on the WWW.

+1000

Yelp is good to maybe get a sense of the place, like maybe the time to go or something like "the food is always good but the service is slow if you sit at the far end of the bar" Otherwise it does not sway me much. I've written a handful of positive reviews but honestly like most people only really think about it if I'm mad.

Biggd 11-14-2017 08:01 PM

There are professional reviewers. People that are paid by businesses to write reviews or given some kind of kickback for a good review. It's all a big scam. Then you get the review sites calling you to tell you how good you'r doing and how they can increase your business because your a prefered customer. $$$$$$$