Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Bald Eagle: Good news, bad news. (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22290)

upthesaukee 07-17-2017 09:55 AM

Bald Eagle: Good news, bad news.

Bald eagle: Good news, bad news. Good news: seeing this majestic bird. Bad news: It is hanging out where a pair of loons have hatched a chick. One of the loons was constantly calling to the mate, who answered once or twice, and then went silent, almost like it went into hiding. After about an hour, the eagle left. Phew!!!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d9caae0971.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Lakeboater 07-17-2017 11:16 AM

Dave, where is this?

Hillcountry 07-17-2017 11:19 AM

I have no problem with an eagle taking a loon chick...it's nature taking it's course.
Survival of the fittest rules nature!

upthesaukee 07-17-2017 12:12 PM

Lakeboater: Plum Island in Robert's Cove. We've been watching a nesting pair in the cove for probably 10 years. We anchor probably 150 yards from the floating nest, and the loons, sometimes with chick(s), end up swimming right by the boat. I think we have seen only 4 or 5 chicks survive the summer in all these years.

Hillcountry: I get the survival of the fittest thing. That doesn't change the fact that we get a great deal of pleasure in seeing the loon chick(s) hatch, then watch that little ball of feathers develop (rather quickly) to a loon that can dive and eventually fly away with the parents for the winter. I'm sure there are many on the forum who share our feelings, and understand yours. I just hope that the chick is able to survive and become one more in the annual loon population count.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Hillcountry 07-17-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 282073)
Lakeboater: Plum Island in Robert's Cove. We've been watching a nesting pair in the cove for probably 10 years. We anchor probably 150 yards from the floating nest, and the loons, sometimes with chick(s), end up swimming right by the boat. I think we have seen only 4 or 5 chicks survive the summer in all these years.

Hillcountry: I get the survival of the fittest thing. That doesn't change the fact that we get a great deal of pleasure in seeing the loon chick(s) hatch, then watch that little ball of feathers develop (rather quickly) to a loon that can dive and eventually fly away with the parents for the winter. I'm sure there are many on the forum who share our feelings, and understand yours. I just hope that the chick is able to survive and become one more in the annual loon population count.

Dave

Absolutely! It's all beautiful!

tis 07-17-2017 05:52 PM

I have a problem with an eagle taking a loon chick too. I wish they would stick to fish and I would like them better!! I am trying to save two baby ducks who lost their mother when they were just a couple days old. We don't know what happened to her. These two babies are almost 4 weeks old now and doing very well. I am trying to find the balance between helping them out and having them learn to care for themselves. They come up to our door several times a day for a handout. Every time I go outside they find me and if I call them they come. It's just never a good thing to have wildlife trust people. We all aren't friendly to them. We got them some duck food but they don't care for it. I think now they are eating enough lake "stuff" to survive if only an eagle or possibly the loons don't get them.

Lakeboater 07-17-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 282073)

Dave

Thank you Dave. Hope to find them

ApS 07-20-2017 06:09 AM

Mother Nature's Eatery...

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 282065)
I have no problem with an eagle taking a loon chick...it's nature taking it's course.
Survival of the fittest rules nature!

One naturalist described the world of Mother Nature as "a huge restaurant". :emb:

But Bald Eagles have been taken off the Federal Endangered Species List; whereas, Loons remain on New Hampshire's Endangered Species List. Loons are also the world's oldest surviving member of all birdlife.

For eons, Loons have had to deal with predators Mother Earth will never see again. :eek:

Barney Bear 07-20-2017 07:01 AM

Finally Proof

At last, a picture of the Winnipesaukee Monster is available. I will not go swimming again!!! 😱

upthesaukee 07-20-2017 06:24 PM

We were back yesterday and saw mom swimming with the chick, with the chick hitchhiking a ride on mom's back at times.

ApS 10-20-2017 03:58 AM

"Doxing" The Winnipesaukee Monster...

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 282323)
At last, a picture of the Winnipesaukee Monster is available. I will not go swimming again!!! 😱

That image of a cold-blooded, reptilian, Winnipesaukee Monster may be overblown.

A new sketch of a sighting suggests an entirely different animal:

.;)

tis 10-20-2017 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 282374)
We were back yesterday and saw mom swimming with the chick, with the chick hitchhiking a ride on mom's back at times.

Did the baby make it, Up?

upthesaukee 10-20-2017 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 286846)
Did the baby make it, Up?

It appears not. Not long after my earlier post, maybe two weeks, we no longer saw the chick.
I did note that a few weeks ago, the Loon Society said that only one chick survived this season on Squam. Not sure exactly why.
Thanks for asking.
Dave

tis 10-20-2017 06:38 AM

Wish I didn't ask. I don't imagine all the eagles around are helping the loon population.

I wonder how many survived on Winni. Did you hear?

Merrymeeting 10-20-2017 08:38 AM

We had the first successful chick (now teen) on Merrymeeting in many years this summer. :)

tis 10-20-2017 12:28 PM

Yay, Merrymeeting!! Glad to hear that. We had a successful chick too.

upthesaukee 10-22-2017 06:30 AM

Postscript: I was talking to some folks last night that live at Robert's cove and they confirmed the loon chick indeed did not survive. They said the body was found near Plum island and that the Loon Society examined the remains. They said that the chick suffered numerous bone fractures that perhaps were caused by a boat collision. The society was a little surprised because the chick was of a size where it should have been able to dive to avoid most dangers.
The chicks can be difficult to see, when in their light colored plumage, especially when there is a glare on the water.

tis 10-22-2017 06:48 AM

😢 Very sad. We, too, follow the Robert's Cove babies every summer. We saw her/him when it was quite big this year.