Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ice-out victim (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9542)

Formula 03-19-2010 07:20 AM

Ice-out victim

1 Attachment(s)
First victim of the soon to be ice-out...OUCH:(

fpartri497 03-19-2010 07:24 AM

first victim

Wow, where on the lake Is this damage? Thats the power of mother nature

:eek:

tis 03-19-2010 07:29 AM

Oh no! But it's that time of year!

Formula 03-19-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpartri497 (Post 122205)

On the east side of Long Island

Steveo 03-19-2010 08:37 AM

They had a bubbler

It shows how that while bubblers keep the area from freezing they do nothing to stop the crush of an iceberg.

SS-194 03-19-2010 10:40 AM

I don't have any pictures but when I was out on Rattlesnake a few weeks ago our friends heavy duty steel frame dock that they lift out of the water had come down. Probably before ice in. This dock was pushed in and it ran parallel to the shore instead of sticking out and was crushed from maybe 36 '' wide to maybe a foot. It looked like a huge pair of vice grips squeezed it. Keeps us humble doesn't it.

WINNOCTURN 03-19-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpartri497 (Post 122205)

I would bet it's at Harilla Landing?

LIforrelaxin 03-19-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN (Post 122233)
I would bet it's at Harilla Landing?

Wrong that is not Harilla Landing, I don't know the name of the association, but as you come on to long Island it is the first couple of Roads on the Left. There is a Community dock and Mooring field.

LIforrelaxin 03-19-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steveo (Post 122216)
It shows how that while bubblers keep the area from freezing they do nothing to stop the crush of an iceberg.

Correct once the ice starts moving all bets are off....I had a couple of legs bust on my articulating dock a few years back because the water came up and an ice chunk hit the legs......

Steveo 03-19-2010 03:24 PM

I have a very hefty crib dock. One year the ice lifted one edge (crib, rocks, decking ) up 2 feet. Thank God it settled back down over the spring

Islander2 03-19-2010 03:52 PM

Question about the picture?

LIforrelaxin,

Is the picture looking down the bay towards Dow and Pleasant Islands?

Formula 03-19-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islander2 (Post 122257)
LIforrelaxin,

Is the picture looking down the bay towards Dow and Pleasant Islands?

You are looking at Little Bear on the right

luckypete 03-19-2010 10:17 PM

Photo Viewpoint

Formula,

Thanks for the geo-spatial reference. Do ya think the fishing's any good 'tween there and Little Bear?

See ya on the lake!

LP

Islander2 03-19-2010 10:25 PM

Thanks!

Thanks Formula, sure looks good! The boat is hooked up to the truck and ready to go, first thing in the morning. Will be going thru there in less than 12 hours.

CanisLupusArctos 03-21-2010 02:59 PM

If you live in an area where the ice is known for moving around in springtime, it is better to avoid having a bubbler. Letting the ice freeze around the dock will provide a barrier against incoming ice, come spring. If it freezes thickly enough around the dock posts during the winter, the most that should happen to them is that they will need to be re-positioned a few inches in spring -- and many seasons, not at all. In places where ice is known for moving around in springtime, bubblers beat back the edge of the ice all winter long. In spring it melts back even further. Then the ice starts breaking up, and the open water around the dock allows the ice to drift around and slam into the posts. We may remember how long we had to go without the Meredith Town Docks in summer of 2007. In mid-April, the Patriots Day storm caused the ice to break up and drift in the strong winds. Those with bubblers sustained the heaviest damage. This included the Meredith Town Docks. Those who had ice frozen in around their docks actually were protected by the ice that was already there. When the ice is breaking up and moving around, the last thing you want around your dock is open water.

jst_4_kiks 03-21-2010 11:05 PM

looks like the lands end association docks. they have the lil dock lights and can recognize the opening in the middle to the area of "the 6 pack".

LIforrelaxin 03-22-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formula (Post 122258)
You are looking at Little Bear on the right

Opps dam I was wrong.... I guess I have been away to long....thanks for the correction Formula..... Its going to be a somewhat costly repair.... I am surprised that the ice caused trouble in that area.... that always seemed fairly protected to me......