Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1st Trip to Moultonborough Bay (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16366)

Winni P 08-21-2013 07:01 AM

1st Trip to Moultonborough Bay

Hi!

We are planning a day to head up to Moultonborough Bay to check it out. Are there any restaurants up that way that are accessible by boat or are we better off packing sandwiches? Also, we'd love any recommendations for "must see" areas/places & anchoring/swim spots up that way.

Thanks!

Chaselady 08-21-2013 07:12 AM

We've gone up that way many times. Never saw a restaurant. We always bring a lunch and have a picnic. Very quiet and scenic. Head to Lee's Mill, there are docks, and porta potties! And a place to let the dog cool off if you have one. You can also walk to the Loon Museum if you're interested.

VitaBene 08-21-2013 07:17 AM

Have fun!

Unfortunately, up here in Moultonberry, there are no restaurants accessible by boat.

Enjoy your trip. Please note that it is a little bony from the Graveyard on on so pay attention to the markers!

If you check your chart, and look for Joe's and Poplar Islands- we have seen a lot of Eagles there.

Dave R 08-21-2013 07:44 AM

It's a 1.2 mile (20 minute) walk from Lee's Mill dock to the Woodshed. Only open for dinner though, AFAIK...

Lakegeezer 08-21-2013 09:23 AM

It is worth the cruise up to Greens Basin, however you go through several large no-wake zones, so it takes a while. The lake looks different there, as does the surrounding land. You are in the headwaters. Make sure you keep your map with you and be especially respectful of light marker 13. As Chaselady said, the loon center is near Lees Mills - only a 5 minute walk.

MikeF-NH 08-21-2013 03:13 PM

19 mile bay has a store with a nice little ice cream stand as well as very good (and very bad for you) fried chicken tenders that my kids LOVE. They have a salad bar there also and some other unhealthy lunch items. Its pretty much the only place you can get food or drinks in that part of the lake but worth a drop in. There is a public dock there and gas pumps if needed.

The Moultonboro Town beach in 19 Mile bay MAY also be a good place to swim but I'm not sure of the legality of anchoring there and using it. I'd guess if you were safe and the beach not crowded, nobody would care or say anything if you stopped in for a dip. Its just across the bridge from the store.

Dave R 08-21-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeF-NH (Post 210671)

The Moultonboro Town beach in 19 Mile bay MAY also be a good place to swim but I'm not sure of the legality of anchoring there and using it. I'd guess if you were safe and the beach not crowded, nobody would care or say anything if you stopped in for a dip. Its just across the bridge from the store.

Pretty sure that's the Tuftonboro town beach and there's nothing illegal about anchoring there and taking a dip.

Aguamenti 08-21-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 210672)
Pretty sure that's the Tuftonboro town beach and there's nothing illegal about anchoring there and taking a dip.

Yep, we see it all the time. There's one in Twentymile Bay as well.

BroadHopper 08-21-2013 03:29 PM

Pine Cone

You can tie up at Melvin Village public dock and walk up to the Pine Cone. Excellent pizza! I'm thinking 1/2 mile. Correct me folks if I am wrong.

Blanchard Island is an excellent stop for an on shore picnic and a short hike. It is an LRCT island.

I anchor at the 20 Mile Bay beach many times. I have not seen anyone told to move. The bay is a great place for water skiing!

Orion 08-22-2013 04:13 PM

More food at pier 19

There's more food at Pier 19 than prior stated. They have great Angus burgers with lots of fries, fried chicken strips as well as Chester-Fried Chicken and other items. Plenty of ice cream and Frappes!

Geneva Point 08-23-2013 05:57 PM

Lees Mills Docks

I know Lees Mills has docks but are there any docks open to the public? if so, can you let me know where they are located?

gslpro 08-28-2013 09:54 AM

lee's Mill Docking

http://www.lockwoodstudio.com/galler...Lee_s_Mill.jpg