Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kimble's Castle (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17372)

nj2nh 04-18-2014 05:05 PM

Kimble's Castle

The aerial photo company posted pictures on Facebook today, suggesting the castle was nearing its demolition date. However, I cannot find any information on-line other than a clearly outdated website and old news stories from last summer. Is there any hope for the old place? It would be such a sad loss.

mcdude 04-19-2014 07:15 AM

Do google for Kimball's castle / Laconia Daily Sun and you'll find several articles including this one

Quote:

Kimball Castle owner says he'll build a fence

<dl class="article-info"><dt class="article-info-term">Details</dt><dd class="published">Published Date Monday, 14 April 2014 06:35 </dd></dl> Where's the story? http://previewmaps.s3-website-us-eas...om/2170825.png 1 Points Mentioned

GILFORD — The owner of Kimball Castle has agreed to build a security fence around the condemned landmark, according to the town administrator.
Scott Dunn said he spoke with owner David Jodoin after last Wednesday's public forum and learned that his short-term plan is to move forward with the fence.
Last year, the town building inspector condemned the castle and ordered it to be either demolished or fenced in for public safety. Since then, the selectmen have agreed to three extensions of the "make safe" order. A final deadline has been set for April 30.
The town's role is that of trustee of the property which includes the building and about 280 acres of land on Lockes Mountain. When Charlotte Kimball died she left it all in a trust for the express purpose of creating and maintaining a wildlife refuge and stipulated that it could not be used for commercial purposes. In 1990, the town carved out 20 acres and got the state Attorney General and a Belknap County judge to agree that the best way to maintain Kimball's wishes for a wildlife sanctuary was to sell a 20-acre portion of the land that included the castle to a private consortium with the proceeds of the sale to go into the Kimball Forest Wildlife Fund.
Jodoin is the principal owner of Kimball Properties LLC. He was the last remaining partner of a consortium of people who purchased the property in the 1990s with the intent of using the castle as a restaurant and a bed-and-breakfast.
Last year, Jodoin approached the selectmen for permission to change the contract by removing the restaurant stipulation and sell the property as a single-family residence.
Both Dunn and Selectmen's Chair John O'Brien have said Jodoin has a buyer waiting in the wings, but declined to identify him or her.
O'Brien said yesterday that right now he won't support changing Kimball Castle LLC.'s contract with the town.
"I'd like to see the fence get built or have the castle torn down and give it some time to see what various people can come up in terms of buying the property," he said.
"I'm not going to change the contract just so he can sell the property," O'Brien said.
Many of those who spoke at last week's forum also said they didn't support selling the property to a single land owner for another home. Most supported fencing in the castle and allowing it to decay on its own.
Virtually all agreed the castle itself was beyond repair.
Dunn said yesterday that should selectmen ever agree to change the restrictive covenants included in the current contract, the proposed changes would have to be approved the N.H. Attorney General, the N.H. Division of Charitable Trusts and the Belknap County Superior Court.
He said that Jodoin has assured him that by April 30 he will have built a fence or make a demonstrable effort to so. Failing that, he will be fined daily.

Senter Cove Guy 10-19-2017 07:55 PM

Kimball's Castle

2 Attachment(s)
I scratched an itch today. I took a ride up to see Kimball's Castle. Because I hadn't done my homework before I went, I was under the assumption that the castle grounds were owned by the town of Gilford. WRONG! I was met immediately by 2 men who informed me that I was on private property. They told me that their family has owned the castle since the 1990's. The castle seemed to be surrounded by a fence. I asked if I could walk around the castle and take some pictures but was told that I could not. I snapped off the attached pics as I departed. Itch scratched!

LoveLakeLife 10-19-2017 08:56 PM

I wonder from where the two guys came? Is there another building there in which they live?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Senter Cove Guy 10-19-2017 09:17 PM

House Overlooks The Castle

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 286840)
I wonder from where the two guys came? Is there another building there in which they live?

Yes there is and there's a camera on the house pointing right at the castle.

ishoot308 10-20-2017 06:08 AM

I drove up there last year and there were very obvious no trespassing / private property signs on the driveway to the castle. Were those gone??

Dan

AltonGuy 12-03-2017 06:47 PM

Scanned the Gilford Real Estate page today and see the Kimball property on there for $650k plus an $85k easement. Seems its getting more reasonable but still a long ways from being an investment. Its really a shame to see this property unused. Thinking if this ever got down into the $400's it may just sell?! My wife and I, along with many others would love to revive this landmark. One day our lottery ticket will be a winner!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/kimball...-Hampshire_rb/

Sent from my LGLS755 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

gillygirl 12-04-2017 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 286848)
I drove up there last year and there were very obvious no trespassing / private property signs on the driveway to the castle. Were those gone??

Dan

Went partway up the driveway on Saturday to show a friend the castle. The signs are still there.

lagoon 12-05-2017 05:53 PM

It is really poor judgement to not allow a new private owner the opportunity to try and fix the castle and make it a beautiful residence. It is part of the unique history of the lake and the area, to watch if fall apart is not a plan. I wish that one of the local folks who have done well and showed a passion for preservation of the lake life would step in.

Descant 12-05-2017 09:35 PM

I agree. I think we all have examples of Selectmen making decisions that decades later looked unwise. At least, I would say "Do what you say and post bond for default."

codeman671 12-06-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lagoon (Post 288383)
It is really poor judgement to not allow a new private owner the opportunity to try and fix the castle and make it a beautiful residence. It is part of the unique history of the lake and the area, to watch if fall apart is not a plan. I wish that one of the local folks who have done well and showed a passion for preservation of the lake life would step in.

Having personally looked at it a number of years ago to purchase, I can honestly say there is no "fixing it". It is too far gone. I saw it probably 8 year ago and it was falling down. I imagine it has only continued to decline in condition.

Sure, if you want to spend many millions to take it apart and rebuild block by block I guess its possible, but not really feasible. All it takes is a bottomless wallet.

It is a beautiful piece of land with very impressive views. My wife had visions of rebuilding it, but there was no way to make it work.

fatlazyless 09-15-2018 07:11 PM

https://www.concordmonitor.com/Looki...astle-20115883 .... 7-photographs

Yesterday's Sept 14 newspaper reports that Kimball's Castle in Gilford has been sold.

tis 09-16-2018 06:42 AM

I still can't find it from the water any more. When we were kids, we always looked for it. Is it still visible from Sleeper's or Treasure?

Mr. V 09-16-2018 11:30 AM

Dunno if access is still being denied to photograph it, but if that is still an issue, use a drone to take pics.

chachee52 09-16-2018 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 302096)
I still can't find it from the water any more. When we were kids, we always looked for it. Is it still visible from Sleeper's or Treasure?

Don't think you are thinking the same place. It in Gilford by Glendale. Can't see it from this islands.

tis 09-17-2018 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachee52 (Post 302135)
Don't think you are thinking the same place. It in Gilford by Glendale. Can't see it from this islands.

I am thinking of the same place and I do know it is in Gilford. Where in the lake can I see it from then? Maybe you can't anymore, maybe it is too grown up?

I also saw they are going to use it for weddings and events. Such great news!

ApS 09-17-2018 06:18 AM

Whither Kimball's Castle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 223069)
Do google for Kimball's castle / Laconia Daily Sun and you'll find several articles including this one

Quote:

GILFORD — The owner of Kimball Castle has agreed to build a security fence around the condemned landmark, according to the town administrator.
Scott Dunn said he spoke with owner David Jodoin after last Wednesday's public forum and learned that his short-term plan is to move forward with the fence.
Last year, the town building inspector condemned the castle and ordered it to be either demolished or fenced in for public safety. Since then, the selectmen have agreed to three extensions of the "make safe" order. A final deadline has been set for April 30.
The town's role is that of trustee of the property which includes the building and about 280 acres of land on Lockes Mountain.

When Charlotte Kimball died she left it all in a trust for the express purpose of creating and maintaining a wildlife refuge and stipulated that it could not be used for commercial purposes.
In 1990, the town carved out 20 acres and got the state Attorney General and a Belknap County judge to agree that the best way to maintain Kimball's wishes for a wildlife sanctuary was to sell a 20-acre portion of the land that included the castle to a private consortium with the proceeds of the sale to go into the Kimball Forest Wildlife Fund.
Jodoin is the principal owner of Kimball Properties LLC. He was the last remaining partner of a consortium of people who purchased the property in the 1990s with the intent of using the castle as a restaurant and a bed-and-breakfast.
Last year, Jodoin approached the selectmen for permission to change the contract by removing the restaurant stipulation and sell the property as a single-family residence.
Both Dunn and Selectmen's Chair John O'Brien have said Jodoin has a buyer waiting in the wings, but declined to identify him or her.
O'Brien said yesterday that right now he won't support changing Kimball Castle LLC.'s contract with the town.
"I'd like to see the fence get built or have the castle torn down and give it some time to see what various people can come up in terms of buying the property," he said.
"I'm not going to change the contract just so he can sell the property," O'Brien said.
Many of those who spoke at last week's forum also said they didn't support selling the property to a single land owner for another home. Most supported fencing in the castle and allowing it to decay on its own.
Virtually all agreed the castle itself was beyond repair.
Dunn said yesterday that should selectmen ever agree to change the restrictive covenants included in the current contract, the proposed changes would have to be approved the N.H. Attorney General, the N.H. Division of Charitable Trusts and the Belknap County Superior Court.
He said that Jodoin has assured him that by April 30 he will have built a fence or make a demonstrable effort to so. Failing that, he will be fined daily.
This bequest reminds me of a similar Trust regarding a Key Biscayne, Florida beachfront. The Trust's bequest left a huge portion of their oceanfront land for the County to use as a public park. Lawyers got in there, and now there's the "Lipton Open". :rolleye1:

Quote:

"It had that postcard feeling I was hoping for, and then I saw those 5,000 parking spots by the beach, and I thought, 'This is it.' "

The rest, as they say, is history.

First, a $1 million, 10,000 square-foot clubhouse was built at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park in 1989 with plans for a permanent stadium to follow. But there were obstacles. After a favorable court ruling involving the use of the land in July, 1992 cleared the way to begin construction, the bulldozers started humming in hopes of getting the stadium ready for the 1993 tournament.

On Feb. 13, 1994, as the tournament was celebrating its 10th event, Miami-Dade County dedicated the $20 million permanent stadium to the citizens of Miami-Dade County.
With more than $13.0 million in prize money, equally distributed to the men and women..."
So, whither Kimball Castle? :confused:

joey2665 09-17-2018 06:46 AM

New owners posted this to Facebook this morning.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423...2965273051364/

fatlazyless 09-17-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS
Lawyers got in there, and now there's the "Lipton Open". :rolleye1:

Are you talking about the www.miamiopen.com at Crandon Park, which is a huge tennis tournament that brings in the best tennis players from all over the world every year in late March, like Naomi Osaka and Novak Djokovic.

Would be nice to turn Kimball's Castle property into the ................................... (fill in the blank, what will happen there?).

TheTimeTraveler 09-17-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 302150)
New owners posted this to Facebook this morning.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423...2965273051364/

Isn't this old castle zoned residential ? Won't the zoning need to be changed to allow a Destination or Wedding Resort?

I'm all for the proposed project but am not sure how it can work if it isn't zoned properly.....

joey2665 09-17-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 302165)
Isn't this old castle zoned residential ? Won't the zoning need to be changed to allow a Destination or Wedding Resort ?

I'm all for the proposed project but am not sure how it can work if it isn't zoned properly.....

I would hope they have researched the zoning laws before purchasing, but you never know..............:eek:

Slickcraft 09-17-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 302165)
Isn't this old castle zoned residential ? Won't the zoning need to be changed to allow a Destination or Wedding Resort ?

The tax card lists zoning as RC; Resort Commercial

tis 09-17-2018 11:32 AM

This is from APS's post above:

When Charlotte Kimball died she left it all in a trust for the express purpose of creating and maintaining a wildlife refuge and stipulated that it could not be used for commercial purposes

thinkxingu 09-17-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 302173)
This is from APS's post above:

When Charlotte Kimball died she left it all in a trust for the express purpose of creating and maintaining a wildlife refuge and stipulated that it could not be used for commercial purposes

That's the Lockes Hill property.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk