Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winter Sports (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Who makes aluminum bob houses? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20048)

Oblio13 11-23-2015 09:39 AM

Who makes aluminum bob houses?

Last ice fishing derby, there was a fellow who was trying to start a company making welded aluminum trailers for ice fishing. He had a sample out on the ice. Lots of windows, even a wood stove. It was nice enough to live in.

Does anyone remember who it was? I haven't been able to Google anything. I don't want one for ice fishing, I want one as a portable cabin for some remote property we own.

ishoot308 11-23-2015 09:58 AM

Not sure if either of these is the one you saw but these are the only two manufacturers I know of currently making aluminum bob houses...

Sport Shack: http://www.ssiceshacks.com/

Sno Pro: http://www.snoprotrailers.com/galler...yCategoryID=41

Both are very nice!!

Dan

Oblio13 11-23-2015 10:17 AM

Similar to that, but it wasn't an established company. It was some local guy who had welded a couple up and installed windows he had salvaged from a bus. And they were on wheels rather than skids. He had done a fabulous job, and I'd like to support a local small business.

Winnisquamer 11-23-2015 02:26 PM

You have got me thinking. Would be nice to find an old gondola or tram depending on size and turn it into a make shift bobhouse.

Oblio13 11-23-2015 06:02 PM

I've always thought that something like a fiberglass dome would be a good idea.You could slide it out on its roof, then turn it over.

fatlazyless 11-23-2015 08:11 PM

For $44,383 you can get an all aluminum Airstream Sport, the smallest model made by Airstream. It has two wheels, and could be fitted with skis under the wheels to adapt to snow and ice.

www.airstream.com/sport

Oblio13 11-23-2015 09:42 PM

I want something really simple. No water system to drain. No electrical system to maintain. No microwave, no refrigerator. All I want is an open space with a wood stove, a cot and a dog bed.

thinkxingu 11-23-2015 10:10 PM

What are the rules for staying overnight in these things?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

ishoot308 11-23-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 254145)
What are the rules for staying overnight in these things?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Standard fishing rules apply, other than that no rules, have a ball!

Dan

8gv 11-23-2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 254146)
Standard fishing rules apply, other than that no rules, have a ball!

Dan

I'm not much of an ice fisherman. I did it a few times using my 20" chain saw to cut the hole. The perch were plentiful.

But if only I had a bob house...

HellRaZoR004 11-23-2015 10:51 PM

And they are worried about boaters using the lake as a toilet. Double standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oblio13 11-24-2015 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 (Post 254149)
And they are worried about boaters using the lake as a toilet. Double standard.

When we bought our house on the lake twenty-something years ago, I went snorkeling out front and found a literal pyramid of beer bottles. I filled a canoe twice with them. I pondered how they came to be arranged like that until the next winter, when it dawned on me that someone had spent a winter in a bob house dropping them down the hole.

upthesaukee 11-24-2015 09:32 AM

Same thing here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblio13 (Post 254161)
When we bought our house on the lake twenty-something years ago, I went snorkeling out front and found a literal pyramid of beer bottles. I filled a canoe twice with them. I pondered how they came to be arranged like that until the next winter, when it dawned on me that someone had spent a winter in a bob house dropping them down the hole.

Back in my teenage years, late 50's into the 60's, we would go diving, either snorkeling or SCUBA, and would find the same thing; pyramids of beer/soda cans. What amazed us was how the piles were not that large across the base, with cans in various states of decay. In some cases, there were piles fairly close together, either indicating a cluster of bob houses, or the same one over a succession of years. Pretty good navigation without GPS... let's see, it is the red boat house over there, the large dock down there, and the tree that leans out over the water. Yup, that's our spot.:)

Not a slam on ice fishermen , or fisher people ;); some people then, as today, would deep six the cans (or bottles) rather than transport them out. I have seen the same thing from boaters away from the sand bars. Sink it and forget it.

8gv 11-24-2015 10:48 AM

Tossing cans/bottles into the lake, via open water or through a hole in the ice seems very wrong today.

Just a generation ago, this behavior was more socially acceptable.

As a 13 year old punk kid I found myself on the ragged edge of this change.

My dad and I were fishing off Halibut Point, Rockport MA when he proceeded to toss his empty beer can into the sea. My nearly formed '70's enviromentalism found that to be distasteful and I vociforously lodged my protest. Dad made a point to let the next empty fly quite a distance to antagonize me.

Unfortunately his college ring slipped off his finger and vanished with the can.

He never littered again.

VitaBene 11-26-2015 11:00 AM

I think daSilva has a small snopro bobhouse at the store in Moultonborough. You could see how well it is made.

NFS1 02-01-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblio13 (Post 254120)
Last ice fishing derby, there was a fellow who was trying to start a company making welded aluminum trailers for ice fishing. He had a sample out on the ice. Lots of windows, even a wood stove. It was nice enough to live in.

Does anyone remember who it was? I haven't been able to Google anything. I don't want one for ice fishing, I want one as a portable cabin for some remote property we own.

Oblio13, I also sent you a PM. That red ice house was mine from the 2014 derby. We couldn't get out there last year due to deep snow on the lakes. I'm hoping we get some colder weather soon so we can put it out this year. Honestly its not looking great for good ice. We have been making custom ice houses for the past 3 years. Google Northern Fabrication Solutions and you will find us.

Oblio13 02-01-2016 01:45 PM

Thanks for connecting! Found your website, I'm out of the country for a couple days, l'll be over to see you soon.

Sal 02-07-2016 12:00 PM

cheap alternative . . .

:liplick:http://www.lowes.com/pd_7070-10155-F...b-9d9413f192d9

or build your own geodesic dome.