Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Swim raft (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23326)

bridget 05-22-2018 04:51 PM

Swim raft

Hi all

We bought a property this fall and want to buy/install a swim raft on our shoreline. Looking for recs on where to buy and whether we need a permit. If so, does the raft company handle that? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Doobs41378 05-22-2018 05:58 PM

I believe you can get them at Parafunalia in Gilford.

ishoot308 05-22-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bridget (Post 294976)
Hi all

We bought a property this fall and want to buy/install a swim raft on our shoreline. Looking for recs on where to buy and whether we need a permit. If so, does the raft company handle that? Thanks!

No permit required. Keep in front of your property and no more than 150’ out from high water mark. If you're in or near a channel or other similar tight areas, it cannot impede navigation. Highly recommend writing your name and address on it.

Have fun!

Dan

Descant 05-22-2018 08:45 PM

Lost raft?

There's one high and dry on my beach on Welch Island. No name address phone number on three sides. I can't get to the fourth side to look. Posted on "lost and found" with no response. How much will you spend on such a raft without putting your phone number on it? I charge $10/day storage from Ice out to June 15. Then $25/day for clogging my beach. Please identify and come get your raft, whoever you are.

codeman671 05-22-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 294986)
There's one high and dry on my beach on Welch Island. No name address phone number on three sides. I can't get to the fourth side to look. Posted on "lost and found" with no response. How much will you spend on such a raft without putting your phone number on it? I charge $10/day storage from Ice out to June 15. Then $25/day for clogging my beach. Please identify and come get your raft, whoever you are.

If it doesn't disappear soon I can help you with that :)

tis 05-23-2018 04:53 AM

Your name and address and reflections are required to be on it. Sorry phone number not address.

Loony Singer 05-23-2018 05:50 AM

Center Harbor Dock and Pier

These folks made our aluminum frame and cedar decking raft years ago, and it's held up very well. Nice people, but obviously very busy at this time of year!

smith point boater 05-23-2018 06:21 AM

Raft

Call Watermark - They will handle 100%

hd333 05-23-2018 08:29 AM

Center Harbor Dock. They have multiple options. They will deliver and set it up.
Very easy to do business with.

Prices on similar rafts seemed to be pretty standard when we did a little research last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAXUM 05-23-2018 09:19 AM

https://nh.craigslist.org/for/d/swim...582359028.html

bridget 05-23-2018 08:42 PM

We like the wooden look. Would you folks recommend aluminum w cedar removable planking or is there something else that lasts longer?

FlyingScot 05-24-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bridget (Post 295086)
We like the wooden look. Would you folks recommend aluminum w cedar removable planking or is there something else that lasts longer?

We also like the wooden look, but we ended up with poly--it lasts forever, it's zero maintenance, and it's always smooth to the touch. From a distance the "natural" colors blend in well, so it is similar in aesthetic from a distance. The pop-up back rests and table are really nice too.

If you do decide to go with wood, I recommend cedar, not pressure treated. The pressure treatment chemicals have to go somewhere, like into the lake or onto your skin as you sunbathe.

Here's a website; I cant remember where we bought ours, but this model is widely available:

https://www.hewittrad.com/otter-island-swim-raft/

winniwizard 05-24-2018 08:42 AM

Swim Platform

Check with Town. Set backs from your extended property lines out from shore out into the water may apply to the platform's placement.

LIforrelaxin 05-24-2018 09:35 AM

All great thoughts and recommendations here...

Remember wood means maintenance. Aluminum can become hot to the touch....
The poly rafts often don't sit high out of the water...

If your neighbors have one, I would talk with them, chances are they will not mind you using theirs to try that style out....

We have swim rafts scattered down our shoreline.... there is never an issue, when someone wants to take a break from swiming and jumps up on the closet one to them... But then again the road I am one, the people are all pretty friendly...

ishoot308 05-24-2018 09:59 AM

Otter Island Raft

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterG (Post 295099)
We also like the wooden look, but we ended up with poly--it lasts forever, it's zero maintenance, and it's always smooth to the touch. From a distance the "natural" colors blend in well, so it is similar in aesthetic from a distance. The pop-up back rests and table are really nice too.
Here's a website; I cant remember where we bought ours, but this model is widely available:

https://www.hewittrad.com/otter-island-swim-raft/

Yup, we had this raft for a number of years and it was great! Sits low in the water making it easy to climb on, very stable and the pop up backrest and table work great!

Dan

Descant 05-24-2018 01:47 PM

Abandoned Property?

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 294987)
If it doesn't disappear soon I can help you with that :)

Marine Patrol came out to look, offered to take it, but it is so far on land one person can't move it and pulling it off would probably rip it apart. I suggested they leave it for awhile to see if somebody called in to claim it. They have better things to do than collect swim rafts.
Anybody know anything about "abandoned property" law?

Outdoorsman 05-25-2018 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 295119)
Marine Patrol came out to look, offered to take it, but it is so far on land one person can't move it and pulling it off would probably rip it apart. I suggested they leave it for awhile to see if somebody called in to claim it. They have better things to do than collect swim rafts.
Anybody know anything about "abandoned property" law?

Finders keepers, losers weepers

Loony Singer 05-25-2018 05:46 AM

A couple more thoughts based on our experience

We love our aluminum raft with cedar decking, BUT...as cedar ages, it can produce tiny little splinters. Much better than the enormous, jagged splinters from pressure treated, but still. We talked to Center Harbor Dock and Pier about converting to composite or PVC. Turns out that very expensive structural modifications to the aluminum frame would be required, due to the heavier weight. So if you're getting a new aluminum-framed raft, make the wood vs. composite decision up front!

tis 05-25-2018 06:47 AM

I agree. Don't put wood on it.

Dave M 05-25-2018 09:55 AM

Cost?

Dan, can you give a approximate cost of the Otter swim raft.

Thanks Dave M

ishoot308 05-25-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 295153)
Dan, can you give a approximate cost of the Otter swim raft.

Thanks Dave M

I believe we paid around $1400.00 for it from Production Trailer and Dock but that was about 8 years ago. I assume the prices have increased a bit since then.

Here is one online for $1699.00 I think a local dealer would do better on price however... I think Watermark may be a dealer as I believe they bought out Production Trailer and Dock http://www.directdocks.com/otisra.ht...d=293946777986

Dan