Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Union Diner (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21820)

vmass 03-27-2017 07:23 AM

Union Diner

My first post here and it is about food! We recently purchased a townhouse in a neighborhood on Paugus Bay. Over the past couple of months we have been doing some upgrades on the weekends and of course, we need to eat.

We have been to the Union Diner 4-5 times in the past couple of months, mostly for an early dinner after a days work. Service has been great, as is the food.

The last time in we had their Fried chicken with sausage gravy. I have never had that before, but will be having it again!!

Good stuff!!

8gv 03-27-2017 09:29 AM

Welcome to the neighborhood!

joey2665 03-27-2017 11:28 AM

I absolutely love the Union Diner especially for early Sunday breakfast. Device awesome and the food outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Bob M 03-27-2017 12:30 PM

Union Diner

I am 5 months into my six month stay in Florida. Sure miss my pan seared scallops on Thursday or Friday nights. Haven't been able to find anything like it down here.

sum-r breeze 03-27-2017 03:18 PM

Welcome!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmass (Post 276198)
My first post here and it is about food! We recently purchased a townhouse in a neighborhood on Paugus Bay. Over the past couple of months we have been doing some upgrades on the weekends and of course, we need to eat.

We have been to the Union Diner 4-5 times in the past couple of months, mostly for an early dinner after a days work. Service has been great, as is the food.

The last time in we had their Fried chicken with sausage gravy. I have never had that before, but will be having it again!!

Good stuff!!

Welcome to the forum. You will find priceless information about the region here with some great people contributing to it daily. We are a very friendly bunch (usually ;o) and love to share our experience and advice. Enjoy!

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back

PS Thumbs up for the Union Diner

Acrossamerica 03-27-2017 05:44 PM

Seen ads for the Union Diner but can never figure out just where it is located. Any help here?

Lakeboater 03-27-2017 06:06 PM

The Union Diner is across the street from Bartons Motel. Sits back off the road a little....next to the pet supply store. And they make a good breakfast.

Acrossamerica 03-27-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeboater (Post 276233)
The Union Diner is across the street from Bartons Motel. Sits back off the road a little....next to the pet supply store. And they make a good breakfast.

Still don't have a clue where it is as I never heard of any of your reference points. How about we start with a town and move from there?

jetlag100 03-27-2017 06:21 PM

They have the absolute, best chicken pot pie! Seriously ;)

joey2665 03-27-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrossamerica (Post 276236)
Still don't have a clue where it is as I never heard of any of your reference points. How about we start with a town and move from there?

It's on Union Avenue in Laconia. It's in a small shopping center sent back from the street. Near Taco Bell and Salvation Army

Acrossamerica 03-27-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 276238)
It's on Union Avenue in Laconia. It's in a small shopping center sent back from the street. Near Taco Bell and Salvation Army

Thank you. Still don't know any of those locations but that is my problem. I do make a serious effort not to go to Laconia. Downtown is such a mess and will ever be so since they built that stupid parking garage and rerouted traffic. Sometime the maxim - "If it isn't broken don't try to fix it" really works.

Lakeboater 03-27-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

1331 Union Ave Laconia. Between the Sunoco gas station and St Vincent de Paul Society. It is not in downtown Laconia....it's on the Laconia/Gilford town line....by CVS and Lowes
Try Google....they have a Website

Woody38 03-27-2017 07:56 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Love the Union Diner which is just a stones throw from the traffic light on Union Street at Shaw's. Extremely friendly. We also love the Water Street Cafe, which took me a while to locate.
T-Bones is great also. Obtain their rewards card.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

joey2665 03-27-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrossamerica (Post 276241)
Thank you. Still don't know any of those locations but that is my problem. I do make a serious effort not to go to Laconia. Downtown is such a mess and will ever be so since they built that stupid parking garage and rerouted traffic. Sometime the maxim - "If it isn't broken don't try to fix it" really works.

Where are you coming from? It's not really near downtown as said it's near the Gilford/Laconia border near Lowe's, Shaw's Hannafords and not far from Walmart.

Doobs41378 03-28-2017 05:36 AM

It is diagonal from Shaws at the end of Weirs Blvd basically.

upthesaukee 03-28-2017 07:39 AM

Laconia, Union Ave. From the northern end of the Laconia Bypass (Rtes 3 & 11), drive west through 3 sets of traffic lights. After passing the third set, there will be a cemetery and Barton's Motel on the right. Union Diner is on the left, in a U - shaped small strip mall. Sign post at the road side with all the businesses listed on it.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

upthesaukee 03-28-2017 07:57 AM

Sorry you have a problem with Downtown Laconia, its traffic pattern, and its businesses. By avoiding the area, you are missing out on many good, and diverse, businesses, including several eateries that can meet the needs of many people. Burrito Me, The Holy Grail, Hector's, Laconia Local Eatery, Wayfarer Coffee Roasters, just to name some. There are many other shops to frequent.
As far as the traffic pattern is concerned, I find it pretty clear cut. One way northbound through the center facilitates parking on street, and easy turns on to the side streets to the right. At the end, go straight ahead towards Merideth, turn right towards Gilford and Lakeport, or turn left to head west or reenter the downtown area.
I respectfully suggest you revisit Laconia's downtown, with open eyes. ☺
Back to the thread at hand, Union Diner.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

mcdude 03-28-2017 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeboater (Post 276242)
....they have a Website

http://www.theuniondiner.com/

http://nebula.wsimg.com/49ff6692921d...&alloworigin=1

8gv 03-28-2017 08:03 AM

After enjoying the chow at the Union Diner stop by the pet shop next door and get your pup some special treats. :D

Barney Bear 03-28-2017 09:26 AM

Vague Recolection

I think that, possibly, the Union Diner evolved from the Paugus Bay Diner that was located farther west on Union Avenue about where the former Burger King was located. 🍽

Slickcraft 03-28-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 276263)
I think that, possibly, the Union Diner evolved from the Paugus Bay Diner that was located farther west on Union Avenue about where the former Burger King was located. ��

Inside the Union Diner there is an old "Paugus Bay Diner" sign on the wall.

http://www.theuniondiner.com/about-us.html

Chickie 03-28-2017 12:54 PM

Union Diner

The diner which was located where Burger King once was (now Watermark Marine business) was called the Shore Diner. It was torn down when Burger King came to town and built the present building. The Paugus Diner (now called Union Diner) was essentially in the same location as it is today but closer to the road. It was moved back to its present location when the mini mall was built there. As well as serving lunch and dinner, they have a wonderful breakfast menu - friendly staff and the food is always good.

Slickcraft 03-28-2017 01:46 PM

Yes a very good breakfast is served.

mcdude 03-28-2017 04:58 PM

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/photop...hore_diner.jpg

Doobs41378 03-28-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 276277)

Who taught these people how to park? :laugh:

Hillcountry 03-28-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doobs41378 (Post 276279)
Who taught these people how to park? :laugh:

Looks more like it should be called "beaching" with some of those boats!

Slickcraft 03-29-2017 07:37 AM

A correction to my earlier post, the old sign on the wall inside reads "Paugus Diner" not "Paugus Bay Diner". Another good breakfast today.:D

SIKSUKR 03-29-2017 08:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Its actually right across the street from Bartons Motel entrance/and the cemetary.

Chickie 03-29-2017 09:26 AM

Union Diner

The original green diner is still intact. The dining room area was added to it and all was encompassed into the mini mall under the canopy.

Great photos Siksukr. If folks can't find it now, they never will.

Descant 03-31-2017 12:21 PM

Shore Diner

I agree that Shore Diner was demolished to build the BK. My father often referred to it as "Jerry's Diner" so I guess that was the name before it became Shore Diner and the dining room was added.
Can't remember his name, but the counterman I think cooked all the breakfasts, counter and dining room, carried kitchen matches and had one lit in front of you as soon as the cigarette hit your lips. Coffee came in diner mugs, except "Coffee for a lady" meant cup and saucer. No checks or written order pads. He carried a ticket pad and punch on his belt and when you were done, he punched the numbers totaling $1.35 or whatever on the ticket and you took that to the cashier.

Major 03-31-2017 02:37 PM

Spider

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 276461)
I agree that Shore Diner was demolished to build the BK. My father often referred to it as "Jerry's Diner" so I guess that was the name before it became Shore Diner and the dining room was added.
Can't remember his name, but the counterman I think cooked all the breakfasts, counter and dining room, carried kitchen matches and had one lit in front of you as soon as the cigarette hit your lips. Coffee came in diner mugs, except "Coffee for a lady" meant cup and saucer. No checks or written order pads. He carried a ticket pad and punch on his belt and when you were done, he punched the numbers totaling $1.35 or whatever on the ticket and you took that to the cashier.

I think it was Spider who was the cook.

jbolty 03-31-2017 03:01 PM

I don't think Spider was at the Shore Diner, he was at the place across the street. Paugus Diner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR1Z99XgQew

https://books.google.com/books?id=Rg...spider&f=false

My parents used to bring me along sometimes when they would go drinking and dancing at the Margate and let me swim in the pool for a couple hours. After that we would go see Spider and get some fried potatoes and eggs for late dinner. I was maybe 10-12 years old. Good times,

Descant 03-31-2017 08:30 PM

No question. Spider was the counterman at the Paugus Diner in the sixties, not at Shore Diner. Spider was very good, but had a different set of duties to deal with as I recall. Not to detract from his expertise in any way, just a different guy in a different place.

wifi 04-01-2017 05:18 AM

Wonder what Jon Taffer would say ? LOL

Doobs41378 04-01-2017 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifi (Post 276490)
Wonder what Jon Taffer would say ? LOL

Shut er down??

vmass 04-01-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 276483)
No question. Spider was the counterman at the Paugus Diner in the sixties, not at Shore Diner. Spider was very good, but had a different set of duties to deal with as I recall. Not to detract from his expertise in any way, just a different guy in a different place.

Come on....don't leave us hangin'

BroadHopper 04-01-2017 08:12 AM

A legend!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uI2p1HY23-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI2p1HY23-E

JanN 04-01-2017 11:24 AM

Shore Diner

I remember Spider working at the Shore Diner in the late 50's early 60's. My friend Doug took me there to watch the show. He was quick. I saw him flip a spoon in a customer's shirt pocket.That is where I learned what a short order cook was. Seemed he always had a cigarette in his mouth. Surprised he lived so long (2012).

Top-Water 04-01-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 276263)
I think that, possibly, the Union Diner evolved from the Paugus Bay Diner that was located farther west on Union Avenue about where the former Burger King was located. ��

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 276264)
Inside the Union Diner there is an old "Paugus Bay Diner" sign on the wall.

http://www.theuniondiner.com/about-us.html

Renamed Union Diner in June 2009
http://i66.tinypic.com/9k11cn.jpg

Related story ,,,,,,, https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ead.php?t=7374

Side note ... I'm not the same person as "topwater" without the space (-) between Top and Water

sum-r breeze 04-24-2017 03:38 PM

Yum!

:liplick:Stopped in at the Union Diner on Sunday morning for breakfast before heading over to MVYC to bottom paint "The Breeze" The food was great, hot and prompt. The waitstaff was friendly and welcoming. I ran into a friend seated behind me (you know who you are Doug) who was there with his wife and they were thoroughly enjoying their breakfast too. I was alone seated at the counter but always felt like I belonged to the Diner family. The owner took a few minutes to talk and see if I was happy with my experience there. Absolutely!

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' Back

StardogChampion 05-15-2017 04:17 PM

Union Diner surprisingly has one of the best tap lists in the area. It's not a big list but what they have is very good.

Kamper 05-18-2017 12:08 PM

This diner must get mentioned a couple times a year on this site. I can't remember anyone complaining about it!

SteveO123 05-18-2017 01:48 PM

I'm headed there for dinner tonight! Flying solo for a few days and tired of cooking for one! Cheers!

Biggd 07-13-2017 06:33 AM

After hearing so much about this place I went there for lunch this past weekend. It was OK, nothing special. Maybe their breakfast is better but there are better places for lunch. I don't know why people are raving about this place.

Doobs41378 07-14-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 281851)
After hearing so much about this place I went there for lunch this past weekend. It was OK, nothing special. Maybe their breakfast is better but there are better places for lunch. I don't know why people are raving about this place.

AcrossAmerica is that you? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Biggd 07-14-2017 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doobs41378 (Post 281920)
AcrossAmerica is that you? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I guess everyone's level of expectation is different. I got a crispy chicken sandwich and I guess I was expecting something better than what I would get at MacDonalds. :(

garysanfran 05-12-2021 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamper (Post 278883)
This diner must get mentioned a couple times a year on this site. I can't remember anyone complaining about it!

I drove by a couple days ago and it looked closed. I liked the place. Does anyone know what's happening with The Union Diner?

WinnisquamZ 05-12-2021 08:58 AM

Closed Monday and Tuesday.

garysanfran 05-12-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 355158)
Closed Monday and Tuesday.

Thanks...For some reason, I couldn't pull-up their web site and got a message saying the "site was available for sale". Comes up now.

joey2665 05-12-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 355162)
Thanks...For some reason, I couldn't pull-up their web site and got a message saying the "site was available for sale". Comes up now.

Rose usually responds to Facebook inquiries. My favorite breakfast place.

trfour 05-12-2021 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my favorite stops to "Diner" when I lived at the Camp on Paugus Bay.

I walked across the street from there and took this picture on a Fall day.

MeredithMan 05-13-2021 01:12 PM

ate there this morning...

...now that we're fully vaccinated, we feel comfortable to eat out in restaurants again. First meal out in over a year was to Union Diner this morning for breakfast. Great as always...!!