Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Bobcat in Gilford and a Sunset (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21277)

SteveA 09-18-2016 05:54 PM

Bobcat in Gilford and a Sunset
 
1 Attachment(s)
He/She had eyes on a couple of squirrels in my backyard.. They spotted him and took off.

Attachment 12342

pjard 09-18-2016 07:00 PM

I would take off too! Great photo!

donnamatrix 09-19-2016 08:53 AM

beautiful!
 
Beautiful creature

SteveA 09-19-2016 09:33 AM

BobCat Day 2
 
1 Attachment(s)
Looks like he/she decided to come back today. I called Fish and Game and they confirmed it would indeed go after housecats.

They advised to "bang pots and pans" every time you see it. They claimed the cat would leave the area. I set up my wind chimes in the middle of the yard and they told me that would help. Seems they don't like noise.

Hillcountry 09-19-2016 10:10 AM

Beautiful kitty...

jetlag100 09-19-2016 02:05 PM

Such beauty! Why would anyone want to hunt these beautiful cats? Nice pictures Steven......

Hillcountry 09-19-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlag100 (Post 269809)
Such beauty! Why would anyone want to hunt these beautiful cats? Nice pictures Steven......

I would hunt them if legal...and I still think they are beautiful creatures.
Trouble is, without the use of dogs (as in Maine) you'd never get close to one unless, perhaps, in a tree stand waiting for deer. Moot point though as they are still protected.

noreast 09-19-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 269813)
I would hunt them if legal...and I still think they are beautiful creatures.
Trouble is, without the use of dogs (as in Maine) you'd never get close to one unless, perhaps, in a tree stand waiting for deer. Moot point though as they are still protected.

If you can kill it with your bare hands you can keep it, otherwise stay home, using dogs to kill bears or cats, is pathetic. Like I said in another thread, If you're not going to eat it, don't kill it. There's nothing more disgusting than a trophy room. And yes I use to hunt. Now just TRY to fish mostly.

Hillcountry 09-19-2016 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreast (Post 269824)
If you can kill it with your bare hands you can keep it, otherwise stay home, using dogs to kill bears or cats, is pathetic. Like I said in another thread, If you're not going to eat it, don't kill it. There's nothing more disgusting than a trophy room. And yes I use to hunt. Now just TRY to fish mostly.

You're entitled to your opinion but if a state's wildlife department deems it lawful to hunt cats or bears with dogs, then it is legal and part of a tradition that began long before us or our Grandfathers for that matter.
I don't use dogs but have no problem with those that do so, legally.
Is dragging a worm or lure through water with all kinds of modern, electronics, down riggers, sonar, fish finders, etc. any different? I don't think so.
Pursuing happiness in life takes many lawful, forms...
That's called freedom.

noreast 09-20-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 269838)
You're entitled to your opinion but if a state's wildlife department deems it lawful to hunt cats or bears with dogs, then it is legal and part of a tradition that began long before us or our Grandfathers for that matter.
I don't use dogs but have no problem with those that do so, legally.
Is dragging a worm or lure through water with all kinds of modern, electronics, down riggers, sonar, fish finders, etc. any different? I don't think so.
Pursuing happiness in life takes many lawful, forms...
That's called freedom.

I agree, I fully except I'm a hypocrite. I justify it by telling myself that a Bass would eat it's child, while a cat, dog or bear will fight you to the death. If someones hunting with dogs to feed there family I wouldn't say a word. I like a "sport" where the underdog has a chance to win. Right or wrong I questions anyone's character that kills "in pursuit of happiness". It was lawful to kill a human at different points in time as well, The Romans loved it. I just hope we can evolve. All my friends are hunters so you can question my integrity also.

Newbiesaukee 09-20-2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreast (Post 269866)
I agree, I fully except I'm a hypocrite. I justify it by telling myself that a Bass would eat it's child, while a cat, dog or bear will fight you to the death. If someones hunting with dogs to feed there family I wouldn't say a word. I like a "sport" where the underdog has a chance to win. Right or wrong I questions anyone's character that kills "in pursuit of happiness". It was lawful to kill a human at different points in time as well, The Romans loved it. I just hope we can evolve. All my friends are hunters so you can question my integrity also.

Not exactly on point, but...

I have fished off and on most of my life always preferring to eat what I caught; but I also did catch and release. My life-long dream was to retire on a lake, stand on my dock and catch fish. Thirteen years ago we purchased our Winni property and very soon I was on my dock at 5 am and caught a small bass. I could not properly remove the lure and the fish died. I decided I could never do this again and have not.

This is in no way a criticism of either of the posters. Sometimes right and wrong is not black or white and ethical decisions are often those of conscience.

Legality and morality is a whole different discussion.

Back to normal programming...that is a beautiful photo of a beautiful creature.

Airedale1 09-21-2016 11:30 AM

Excellent capture!

Hillcountry 09-25-2016 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a pic of this one, a bit more of a sinister photo of a cat on the hunt, yesterday morning on my trail cam...
They're out there!

Woody38 09-26-2016 06:44 PM

I understand there is a bobcat having been spotted in the vicinity of Lucerne Avenue in Laconia.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquholic.

Life is not about avoiding the storm. Life is about learning to dance in the rain.

rrr 12-23-2016 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, this is my first time attaching a pic. If it works, you should be seeing a pic I took one morning this week at my home on Winter Harbor. Just strolling around checking things out. A few minutes later I saw him walking across the ice.

tis 12-23-2016 02:59 PM

Thanks for posting, rrr! Great capture!

Cindido 12-23-2016 04:33 PM

Bobcat Winter Harbor
 
Thanks for posting. I live close to Winter Harbor and have been noticing large paw prints in the snow. Thought coyotes but now this is another possibility. Beautiful but I don't want to meet him while I'm out walking my dog :look:

Slickcraft 12-23-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindido (Post 272977)
Thanks for posting. I live close to Winter Harbor and have been noticing large paw prints in the snow. Thought coyotes but now this is another possibility. Beautiful but I don't want to meet him while I'm out walking my dog :look:

Not to worry, you would not meet one out walking your dog. They are very wary.

Cat tracks are more round than canine tracks and the claws don't show as they are retracted. Claw marks in the track = canine.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.