Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Dock Repairs (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24409)

The Real BigGuy 05-11-2019 05:53 PM

Dock Repairs

Made my first trip to the island today. Unfortunately, one of the fingers of my crib dock has been pushed up at the outer end. Didn’t measure it but looks like the two lake ends of the fingers are closer that the inner ends. Outer end of the fingers are in 18 to 20 frog water so I’m not fixing myself. Any suggestions on who to call to discuss repair?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

SAB1 05-12-2019 01:20 AM

Are you saying the outer ends of the fingers are sitting on driven piling that heaved up? That happened to us at one point. We ended up getting new piling but the job was so small it took months to get an outfit in there to do it. I would talk with Watermark. They are good folks.

ApS 05-12-2019 02:56 AM

From the School of, "If It Ain't Broke..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 311243)
Made my first trip to the island today. Unfortunately, one of the fingers of my crib dock has been pushed up at the outer end. Didn’t measure it but looks like the two lake ends of the fingers are closer that the inner ends. Outer end of the fingers are in 18 to 20 frog water so I’m not fixing myself. Any suggestions on who to call to discuss repair?

As SAB1 suggests, are these pilings on a crib dock :confused:, a repair might not arrive in time to affect your boating, and what is "frog water"? :confused:

Every winter, the ice "adjusts" my dock. It's annoying to look at, but I live with what is only "pushed" a little. Should your repair occur late in this year's boating season (or after :eek2:), next winter's ice may force a follow-up repair next season, and you'll wonder why you bothered.

Look around, and you may consider yourself lucky! :look:

The Real BigGuy 05-12-2019 08:42 AM

It’s “ft of” water. (Thanks again auto spell). As stated in my original post it is a crib dock with the outer ends sitting on posts (not driven piles). To make matters more interesting the outer posts sit on large boulders.

Descant 05-12-2019 11:25 AM

Take a look at your neighbor's docks, and talk to them. Small dock projects that can be combined may speed up the process. Moving a barge to reset a couple of posts uses up a lot of transit time for the contractor. For the same reason, some contractors tend to focus on certain parts of the lake, so knowing where you are could get better answers. I''ve used Winnipesaukee Marine Construction out of West Alton with good results. They are good about getting docks "usable", and I expect others are the same. If your dock is usable, but just doesn't look nice and square, that's different. There is also a question of having a repair permit. If you need one (maybe you don't) it can take awhile to get it past your local conservation commission. DES is pretty quick, but they send everything to the local CC which usually meets only once a month. You might want to call the local CC Chairman and see what s/he has to say, and find out when they meet. Permit is for five years and is renewable.

The Real BigGuy 05-13-2019 05:20 AM

Thanks. There is a person on an adjacent island with severe dock damage. I’ll talk with him/her.