Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   GPS with lake markings (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24339)

maineboater 04-20-2019 09:32 AM

GPS with lake markings

What's the best GPS for me to navigate the lake? I don't need advanced units w/ depth or sonar, but I'd like a good display to guide me through the various markers.

thinkxingu 04-20-2019 09:39 AM

I have a Garmin DV57 or something like that from five or six years ago, and it's been great.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Tpaskell03254 04-20-2019 10:05 AM

Garmin

We have a 2017 Garmin echomap chirp series with 5” display, as long as you set it to lakes (already pre loaded by Garmin) you’re all set. It’s an awesome unit we really like it.

MAXUM 04-20-2019 03:54 PM

I just put a Garmin EchoMap Plus 63CV on my new boat and it's really awesome.

Steve Di. 04-28-2019 08:58 AM

Garmin GPSMAP 78sc

Does anyone know if the Garmin 78sc hand-held unit has a Lake Winni. chart available? I am looking for a good hand-held GPS navigator.

Bizer 04-28-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Di. (Post 310497)
Does anyone know if the Garmin 78sc hand-held unit has a Lake Winni. chart available? I am looking for a good hand-held GPS navigator.

Bizer sells its data which will work in virtually all Garmin units manufactured between 2002 and 2014. I believe that unit was made during this period. The best indicator is the copyright date of the owner's manual.

If Bizer's MicroSD chip fails to work (or if you are not satisfied for any reason), Bizer will refund your money.

Steve Di. 04-29-2019 08:21 AM

Switching Tack

After learning how much the dealers are charging for the SD cards that contain the charts for the Lake, I am considering buying a navigation app designed for the iPhone. If that doesn't work out, the old-fashioned paper charts will have to suffice.

Any recommendations for any particular iPhone apps for navigating the Lake?

burgerunh 04-29-2019 08:33 AM

The Navionics boating app is what you want.

Woodsy 04-29-2019 08:42 AM

NAVIONICS! hands down the best app for the lake....

I have it on my iphone and my ipad mini. The mini has to be cell capable otherwise it will not have the GPS chip. You do not have to have the cell service activated.

Woodsy

MAXUM 04-29-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 310550)
NAVIONICS! hands down the best app for the lake....

I have it on my iphone and my ipad mini. The mini has to be cell capable otherwise it will not have the GPS chip. You do not have to have the cell service activated.

Woodsy

It is pretty good but I noticed it ate my battery when in use trying the free version. Don't know if anyone else experienced the same. I'd just say plan accordingly if you buy it.

ericnh 04-30-2019 11:12 AM

I got a great deal on 7" Garmin w/Detailed Lake Maps

I just purchased a new Garmin Fishfinder/Chartplotter 7" w/transducer.
If you are looking for a very good gps with detailed Winnipesaukee map, I did the research and this is what I purchased:

Garmin Echomap Chirp Plus 73cv Us LakevÜ W/Cv22hw-Tm Transducer
for $399 shipped! http://www.hodgesmarine.com/

Nick from NE Marine can install - 207-266-1888
He comes highly recommended!

Slickcraft 04-30-2019 06:32 PM

In Garmin 2013 spent a few weeks sonar scanning Winni with their own special boat. Their HD lake view map is based on that.
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ht=garmin+boat

Lakeboater 07-17-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericnh (Post 310627)
I just purchased a new Garmin Fishfinder/Chartplotter 7" w/transducer.
If you are looking for a very good gps with detailed Winnipesaukee map, I did the research and this is what I purchased:

Garmin Echomap Chirp Plus 73cv Us LakevÜ W/Cv22hw-Tm Transducer
for $399 shipped! http://www.hodgesmarine.com/

Nick from NE Marine can install - 207-266-1888
He comes highly recommended!

Unfortunately that price is no longer available. You got a great deal.

Shreddy 07-17-2019 12:41 PM

Honestly - buy a chart and learn the lake. If you're out at night, sure, get a GPS. Reality is, this lake isn't tough to navigate and reading the chart is the best option. Night navigation, I get the desire for GPS but still don't use it :)

tis 07-17-2019 03:32 PM

We went years and years without one Shreddy. Ou boat came with one and we do use it.

Shreddy 07-23-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 315549)
We went years and years without one Shreddy. Ou boat came with one and we do use it.

Same here - I grew up with a chart. My boat has a GPS but I don't use it at all except for the breadcrumbs for coming back to the top of the lake at night after dinner or something. Mine is also an older model Garmin that could probably be upgraded.

Overlake97 09-29-2019 08:03 AM

Navionics - Free Trial Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 310557)
It is pretty good but I noticed it ate my battery when in use trying the free version. Don't know if anyone else experienced the same. I'd just say plan accordingly if you buy it.

I just downloaded the free version of Navionics (appeared to be only one option), and a message popped up asking if I want to start my "Free Trial." Will the App disappear if I don't purchase a not free version after a few weeks? :confused:

VitaBene 09-29-2019 09:00 AM

Dragonfly 7 with Navionics

XCR-700 09-29-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tpaskell03254 (Post 309939)
We have a 2017 Garmin echomap chirp series with 5” display, as long as you set it to lakes (already pre loaded by Garmin) you’re all set. It’s an awesome unit we really like it.

Anyone know if they make a sun shade for the dash mounted GPS?

I have this same model and even with the Bimini top up, its totally worthless as I cant see it at all when driving. I need something to block the sun.

Other than that I agree its a great model.

BroadHopper 09-30-2019 06:03 AM

50 years experience on the lake

Never had a GPS and never ran into problems. Just remember Red Hill is North and red top buoys are hot, sun is in the South. Black buoys, you navigate away from the sun.
I do have a GPS and use it for MPH check. The GPS is way more accurate than the mechanical speedometer on the boat. With the new 6 mph headway speed law, my wake is pretty big! Oh well, the law is the law!

Lakeboater 09-30-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 320353)
Never had a GPS and never ran into problems. Just remember Red Hill is North and red top buoys are hot, sun is in the South. Black buoys, you navigate away from the sun.
I do have a GPS and use it for MPH check. The GPS is way more accurate than the mechanical speedometer on the boat. With the new 6 mph headway speed law, my wake is pretty big! Oh well, the law is the law!

Never had....I do have...I’m so confused!😂😂

tis 09-30-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeboater (Post 320356)

LOL, he confused me too, Lb.

upthesaukee 09-30-2019 06:59 AM

Kinda like...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeboater (Post 320356)

Kinda like the dreaded "double negative" from my school days oh so long ago.

"I ain't got no GPS" "Oh yes you do!" :D

Dave

XCR-700 09-30-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 320353)

Hummmm,,,, Well I got this from the Marine Patrol folks and it stuck with me:

Regarding Markers; Red is Hot, in the US its hot in the South and/or West

And if you only remember that, then you can deduce that the other marker color is Black and its opposite so then Black must be North and/or East.

I have never forgotten it once I herd that.

Yup its simple/stupid, but it works for me :D

Phantom 10-01-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR-700 (Post 320362)
Hummmm,,,, Well I got this from the Marine Patrol folks and it stuck with me:

Regarding Markers; Red is Hot, in the US its hot in the South and/or West

And if you only remember that, then you can deduce that the other marker color is Black and its opposite so then Black must be North and/or East.

I have never forgotten it once I herd that.

Yup its simple/stupid, but it works for me :D

Simple/Stupid perhaps -- but that is the EXACT way (phrase) I teach anyone new to the system !

XCR-700 10-01-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 320421)
Simple/Stupid perhaps -- but that is the EXACT way (phrase) I teach anyone new to the system !

Guess us oldtimers and our low tech ways still have some use ;-)

GPS is nice, but I still like to look at a paper map and still ALWAYS have one in the boat with me.

Maybe I should change my screen name to old dude or something like that :cool:

eillac@dow 12-13-2019 02:52 PM

Which Navionatics?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Need some assistance with the Navionatics app. Which one do you recommend? Looking at the App Store they range from free up to $80+. We only boat Winni.

Thanks...this pic is only a sample of those offered, but many of the Boating USA ones say this app will be discontinued.

Recommendations? Thank you!