Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Transport mattress from W. Boston to Gilford NH, 1.75 hr (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25033)

Savewinni 09-26-2019 11:33 AM

Transport mattress from W. Boston to Gilford NH, 1.75 hr

Need someone with clean pickup truck/cargo van to transport queen mattress ASAP from Newton MA to Gilford NH-next to Laconia. 1.75 hr drive. Date TBD, before Oct 6. Pay negotiable. [I already priced out UHaul- too expensive, but a good gig for someone who wants a great day trip to Boston or Winni.]

WinnisquamZ 09-26-2019 12:36 PM

Would be cheaper to purchase a new from mattress man in Tilton. Going out of business and they deliver

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Descant 09-26-2019 01:32 PM

In a boat?

Maybe somebody on the Forum trails a boat from Newton to Gilford and could just put the mattress in the boat?

I've seen a lot of mattresses on Rt I-93 on the roof of small cars.

ApS 09-26-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 320155)
Maybe somebody on the Forum trails a boat from Newton to Gilford and could just put the mattress in the boat?
I've seen a lot of mattresses on Rt I-93 on the roof of small cars.

I've seen a lot of mattresses on Rt I-93. ;)

TheTimeTraveler 09-26-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savewinni (Post 320151)
Need someone with clean pickup truck/cargo van to transport queen mattress ASAP from Newton MA to Gilford NH-next to Laconia. 1.75 hr drive. Date TBD, before Oct 6. Pay negotiable. [I already priced out UHaul- too expensive, but a good gig for someone who wants a great day trip to Boston or Winni.]

You'd be way better off buying a brand new one up here locally and having it delivered. You won't have to worry about rain or other transportation issues.

Stilljester 09-27-2019 02:50 PM

You should consider a Home Depot truck rental. $19.00 for the first 75 mins; unlimited mileage. For the trip you want to make I think it will be hard to find someone or someway to do it for less.

Sue Doe-Nym 09-27-2019 03:06 PM

Get a new one up here...sale price, no tax, free delivery...easy Peasy.. 🙄

brk-lnt 09-27-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

What quote did you get from UHaul? That should be a $20/day van + mileage. Can't be more than $50 or so. You claim the UHaul rate is "too expensive", but want someone to drive 2 hours one way (let's be realistic, by the time you account for loading and unloading, it is at LEAST a 2 hour trip) for less than that?

You should just come up with a rate that you think is fair and post that instead of "TBD".

MAXUM 09-28-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 320156)
I've seen a lot of mattresses on Rt I-93. ;)

If you hit it just right you can furnish your entire house in a 50 mile stretch :laugh:

upthesaukee 09-28-2019 11:41 AM

Rough idea

Uhaul $20. Gilford to West Newton MA . 104 miles 1 way, 208 round trip.

Mileage cost $.49, $.59, $.69

208 X above 101.92 / 122.72 / 143.52.

Add the two and that's the cost approximately.

Dave

ishoot308 09-28-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 320254)
If you hit it just right you can furnish your entire house in a 50 mile stretch :laugh:

Now that is funny and almost true!! 👍👍

Dan

surfurbian 10-01-2019 03:30 PM

Off Topic : O'Day Daysailer

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, completely off topic here but searching for info on O'day Daysailer restoration I came across your project. Beautiful work. Would you mind sharing any photos you have of the project?

I am working on a 1966 Daysailer myself, it has been sitting outside for about 30 years without any cover, and the former owner had made a lot of odd modifications so its tough to tell what is what.

There just aren't that many good and detailed visuals on what this boat should look like fully and properly rigged.

Thanks!

MAXUM 10-01-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfurbian (Post 320448)
Sorry, completely off topic here but searching for info on O'day Daysailer restoration I came across your project. Beautiful work. Would you mind sharing any photos you have of the project?

I am working on a 1966 Daysailer myself, it has been sitting outside for about 30 years without any cover, and the former owner had made a lot of odd modifications so its tough to tell what is what.

There just aren't that many good and detailed visuals on what this boat should look like fully and properly rigged.

Thanks!

Yeah I did that restoration back in 2005\06 of a 1970 DS1 and unfortunately and sad to say I sold the boat in 2011. If I only knew less than a year later I'd be buying a place on the lake I never would have let it go. Anyways... here is the full story w/pics

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ead.php?t=2543

I REALLY miss that boat. :(

I will tell you the boat I had to work with was in relatively good shape although it did suffer some structural problems I had to address. I also got some info from the guys on the daysailer assoc. forum far as doing some re-enforcement work in key places where I had some minor issues that worried me. I did a lot of fiberglass work on the interior. Anyways it was a fun but labor intensive project.

One recommendation I didn't do, put a tabernacle in the mast - it's no fun trying to set that in place in one piece versus having a hinge setup so you can walk it up and pin it in place.

Good luck and let us all know how you do. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Replacement parts for those boats are readily available too.

loony 10-01-2019 08:38 PM

A few years ago I rented a small enclosed Uhaul trailer that was the perfect height for a queen mattress. I think the cost was about $60-80 for one day round trip. Actually picked it up on a Saturday morning and didn't have to return it until Sunday night because they were closed Sunday. Pulled it with a Subaru with no problem.

TheProfessor 10-05-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Return the mattress.

There is a custom mattress maker in Ossipee. Small factory. Been making mattresses for decades. Highest quality.

ApS 10-06-2019 05:25 AM

Handmade: Watch Yours Get Assembled!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfessor (Post 320718)
Return the mattress.

There is a custom mattress maker in Ossipee. Small factory. Been making mattresses for decades. Highest quality.

Sunset Mattress Factory--on the left when heading for Ossipee's Big Lots/Ocean State store from Wolfeboro.

"Good Nights Make Better Days"

So good, I ordered still one more, and hauled a new Sunset mattress to Florida! :cool:

So good, a renter exchanged two of his for two of mine! It didn't take long to discover the switch! :eek2:

Wifi-1 10-06-2019 06:22 AM

I've been sleeping on one of theirs for a decade+

upthesaukee 10-06-2019 06:59 AM

Soooooooooooo....

Quote:

So, Savewinni, what did you do? Inquisitive minds are waiting with bated breath to know how you made out.

Dave