Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Outdoor Recreation (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anyone into metal detecting? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23745)

dt5150 08-21-2018 01:51 PM

Anyone into metal detecting?

had a couple over the years, but never got real deep into it. and of course the machines i had back then are totally obsolete now! i'm sure they've come a long way in the last 25 years or so. just wondering if anyone out there is somewhat versed in metal detecting and some of the newer machines available today.

AC2717 08-21-2018 02:02 PM

following this, i wanted to get into it, told wife which one i wanted a couple years ago, got me a basic kids style thing, got frustrated and stopped, would like to get into it again as well

Rich 08-21-2018 03:07 PM

This is one of those things that I've been wanting to do for a while.

I start shopping, then keep thinking I may want one I can use while SCUBA diving, and/or general use.

I hate buying toys and then wanting more after I learn that the 'toy' barely does the job, so by the time I find the one that I think will work well, the cost makes me want to talk to someone that has a lot of experience with them.

Then, something changes and I haven't purchased one yet. LOL

I should probably just find one that is not an underwater unit as those are very specialized, but I think it would be fun to search around the docks to find years of dropped things.

dt5150 08-22-2018 07:29 AM

^^ i'm almost exactly the same way.. except for the scuba thing. just when i think i've decided which one i want something else comes up and i put it off for a while. then i come back to it and things have changed so i then look into other machines.. and the process starts all over again!

the two i'm looking at now are the garrett at pro and the minelab equinox 600. both are considered to be mid-level priced machines. i don't want to buy some $100 rig and get frustrated digging up bottle caps and nails. i want to be able to ignore those kinds of materials.

i have a whites surfmaster II right now. it works, but it doesn't distinguish between materials. aluminum, steel, coins, and gold all tone the same so you have no idea what you're digging. i don't like that..

Rich 08-22-2018 09:22 AM

I've looked online at the AT Pro and the Equinox 800.

I like technology, so I've been leaning toward the 800 as the new multi-frequency features seem like a good thing.

Perhaps I should visit a shop and see what they say (if they sell both).

dt5150 08-22-2018 10:19 AM

the 800 is capable of detecting for gold nuggets/raw gold in the ground, and it has wireless headphones standard. to my knowledge, those are the only differences between the 800 and the 600. that's why i'm eyeing the 600, a lot less money.

i've watched a bunch of youtube vids on comparisons between all kinds of machines. the at pro didn't seem to be able to detect object quite as deep at the equinox can. still a good one, but i think i'd rather have the equinox. they about the same money anyway. and i like the display on the equinox a lot better.

i stopped by that place in meredith. they have garrett, fisher and white's. no minelab.

Rich 08-22-2018 10:30 AM

I think the 800 also has a couple of more frequencies.

There also is a NH metal detecting forum easily found.

Perhaps these units with a 10ft water proof rating is good enough for what I want? The technology has stepped up with the new 600 and 800 equinox models.

dt5150 08-22-2018 10:35 AM

correct, that's why it can be used to hunt for raw gold, the additional frequencies. i don't plan on doing any of that around here.. and i can live without wireless headphones (can add them to the 600 if desired).

from what i've read and seen, if you want THE underwater detector, you want the minelab excalibur.

Hillcountry 08-22-2018 03:16 PM

There was some guy the other evening who looked like he was treasure hunting at the Weirs public beach...he was waist deep in the lake.
Are metal detectors waterproof?

Slickcraft 08-22-2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 300677)
There was some guy the other evening who looked like he was treasure hunting at the Weirs public beach...he was waist deep in the lake.
Are metal detectors waterproof?

Well the waterproof ones are:D

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-F22-Me...n%3A2830921011

Biggd 08-22-2018 07:19 PM

I'd like to find the keys to my truck that I lose almost daily.:D

dt5150 08-24-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 300686)

"water resistant"... you wouldn't want to dunk that one.

jbolty 08-24-2018 09:07 AM

The only thing I know about topic this is seeing the impressive amount of stuff my friend has found on the beach. He has a couple but raves about this one.

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/cat...nox-800-series

Airedale1 08-24-2018 11:55 AM

I've done it quite a bit off and on over the years and regardless of what detector you choose, I would strongly suggest that you buy through KellyCO out of FL. Great products, great prices and great customer service.

In addition to a detector I would also suggest that you get a Garrett pinpointer, they are about $100.00 and are indispensable in the field.

Here is a link to one of my favorite detectors: https://www.kellycodetectors.com/cat...tra-series-vx3

Also, there are some very good detecting forums that are a great source for learning.

dt5150 08-29-2018 07:23 AM

i had a 15% off coupon for ebay yesterday, darn near pulled the trigger on a new equinox 600... but i resisted temptation. probably shoulda bought one :rolleye1:

Rich 09-14-2018 09:14 AM

I drove over to Streeter's and pulled the trigger on the Equinox 800.

George seems to be a wealth of knowledge and also has a good sense of humor.

Now the learning process begins! ;)

dt5150 09-18-2018 08:11 AM

cool! good for you rich. i still haven't bought one.. i'd like to, but i honestly don't know if i have time for another hobby!

where's streeters??

Rich 09-19-2018 08:30 AM

Marlborough NH (near Keene)

dt5150 09-21-2018 08:37 AM

ok thanks...

Rich 09-21-2018 11:55 AM

I'll be happy to show you the Equinox if you are interested. I'll be in Gilford this weekend and I'll bring it with me. Send me a PM if you would like to meet, perhaps with your phone number, name and a good time to return your call.

So far, every time I have turned it on and hunted a bit, I've found something useful if I was at a location that had the chance that people were there in the past from pennies, to nickels, and up. By 'useful' I mean other than nails, screws, bobby pins, bottle caps and scrap iron.

I found my first piece of jewelry yesterday, 8 inches deep in hard dirt. At first I thought it was a scrap bit of bailing wire all balled up, and I almost threw it out. But I put it in my pocket, and after looking at it again when I got home, I realized it was some sort of jewelry that spelled out someone's name (some sort of pin or broach). It's not magnetic, but I'm not sure what the base metal is, but it looks like silver plating at least. It's certainly not anything valuable, but still a cool old find.

To me, my results are very good so far, considering that I've only used it three times so far for a total of about 3 hours, and this is the first time I've ever played with one of these devices. I have a lot to learn.

Diver1111 09-22-2018 04:42 PM

This link might help

I visit it for the Shipwreck Forum but it's got a huge amount of information:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...tecting-forum/

8gv 09-22-2018 10:20 PM

Fourty years ago I lost my wedding ring at Virginia Beach on my honeymoon.

I had worn it for maybe 48 hours by then.

If any of you can find it I'll give you a lobster roll and you can keep it as well.

The replacement cost a fortune! ($65)

It has the date 6/10/78 on it as well as initials.

No, it was not a bad omen.

We're still married!

The Real BigGuy 09-23-2018 06:24 AM

I similarly lost my ring dated 11/16/76 (I actually got it in 9/78 because I don’t generally wear jewelry) in the surf in St Augustine in late ‘78. So, I guess there is gold in them there waters! (Also still married)

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

fatlazyless 09-28-2018 02:51 PM

Estes Jewelry, 31 Main St. Meredith

Walking up to Meredith Town Hall today to pay my $98.20 annual automobile registration fee, I noticed for the first time in the window of Estes Jewelry & Coin, 31 Main St; it has about five different sweeper style, metal detectors and treasure hunting hand tools including a water sluice that looks like a mini version of the Alaska Gold Rush tv show.

They have these very well constructed short handle and long handle sifter-scoops probably designed to scoop the wet sand, mud and loose small rocks from the bottom of a stream bed or lake, drain out the water, and hopefully find an old coin or artifact buried treasure!

A 14" ribbed dish for panning gold with instructions and tips for where to go, got my attention .......... gold_:eek:!!

All the metal detectors and small hand tools look very well made.

Did I ever mention I found a ten dollar bill floating in the water right next to the Meredith towns docks, where the boats tie up, about ten years ago in May ….. I reached way out and scooped it up with a tennis racket …… my type of metal detecting!

"Mega big gold nugget panned from Poor Farm Brook", high up the hill, above Ellecoya State Beach by NH gold hunter...... next week's LaDaSun headline .... you read it here first! ....... ayup ...... thar's gold in these them thar hills ...... around these here har parts ..... ayup .... thar's right, buddy ........ weeeeeeoooooooo!!__:eek:

thinkxingu 09-28-2018 02:56 PM

Ok, everyone, it just happened: I tired of FLL's posts. What was the over/under we had?!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

gravy boat 10-31-2018 06:59 AM

Winnisquam sandbar

Saw a brave soul on the Winnisquam sandbar during last Saturday's nor'easter. He was out there for a few hours... good time to hunt as he had no competition in that weather.