Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Winnipesaukee Restaurant Nostalgia (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18332)

rgilfert 10-03-2014 07:59 AM

Winnipesaukee Restaurant Nostalgia
 
My wife and I honeymooned on Winnipesaukee at my Grandparents' cottage near Melvin Village during Labor Day week in 1976. One of our favorite activities that week (i.e. one that I can talk about anyway) was dinning out at many of the popular restaurants of the day .... many of which no longer exist. Throughout the week we collected memorabilia (placemats, napkins, matchbooks, menus, swizzle sticks, postcards, etc) from everyplace the we ate or went. I even drew lines on a lake map (yup, it was one of those old sky-blue "NH Public Utilities Commission" navigation charts .... remember those?) for each boat trip that we took that week. While the resultant keepsake album is extremely boring to anyone other than the two of us .... it does contain a lot of items that are long since extinct and thus from that perspective are pretty cool. The following photos show some of the items from our album that I thought that you might enjoy reminiscing over.

Phantom 10-03-2014 08:25 AM

THAT is Awesome !!

Love the "Schlitz" beer ... $0.65 & a Large Pizza for 2 bucks !!

My how times have changed (and prices)


.

mcdude 10-03-2014 08:48 AM

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...anbaileys2.jpg
Join me for afternoon tea?
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo.../baileysic.jpg
Brightwater's Inn and the Pirate's Den
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...um/bishops.jpg

MeredithMan 10-03-2014 03:18 PM

Here are some my parents would take me to as a kid...
 
St. Pierre's in downtown Laconia; The HoJo's/Gandy Dancer Saloon in The Weirs; Karl's; Jade Island; The Windmill; Week's Ice Cream; :emb:

MM

mcdude 10-03-2014 05:10 PM

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...m/20Karl_s.jpg
sauerbraten.......ummmmm Isn't this lot still empty?
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...restaurant.jpg
Thomas' Windmill Restaurant
1950s - Corner of White Oak Rd. and Lake St. - Laconia - photo by Win Wyatt - White Oaks Road goes up the hill at left, past the ornamental windmill. Just 50 years ago, in early April, 1961, the restaurant had reopened after major renovations. Earlier, in the 12 years that the Thomas Family had already owned the property, the structure had been ‘improved one year, revamped the next, remodeled later’ and then enlarged in 1959. Initially, The Citizen recalled, the restaurant had been ‘hardly more than a lunch counter surrounded by a ledge.’
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...tickfarmd2.JPG
actually in Belmont off of Rt. 3?

Rinkerfam 10-03-2014 05:26 PM

I DEFINITELY miss Hickory Stick!! I have fond memories of Karl's too. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Greene's Basin Girl 10-03-2014 06:15 PM

This thread is wonderful. I remember all these restaurants. I grew up eating at these places. Such great memories!

mbhoward 10-04-2014 08:03 AM

Thanks so much for sharing. I have fond memories of many of these places, especially Father John's Pub!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tis 10-04-2014 11:31 AM

Those DO bring back a lot of memories. Too bad they come and go.

rander7823 10-07-2014 03:16 PM

Prime Rib
 
Prime Rib au jus $4.95.... I wonder if they charged extra for the end cut... $5.25

Phantom 10-07-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 234439)
[IMG] sauerbraten.......ummmmm Isn't this lot still empty?

Yes ... sinful .... but still empty !

glennsteely 10-07-2014 08:57 PM

Franken sundae!!
 
Now there was a spot to remember....i put on many a summer pound at that place!!! Awesome!!

Pineedles 10-08-2014 08:10 AM

Hickory Stick
 
Wow, the Hickory Stick Farm! MY grandfather's favorite was the duck, can't remember whether they served it with a cherry sauce or some other fruit, Anyone remember?:)

mcdude 10-08-2014 10:19 AM

A few places I really miss are the Red Hill Inn in Center Harbor. Previously part of Belknap College and now purchased by the NH Music Festival
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...CeagCJa8lBKuUw
It was open for a short time as a restaurant back in the early 90s.

We also had many memorable meals at Foxy Johnnie's in New Durham.
http://fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...S_01/705219956

More winnipesaukee restaurant nostalgia here
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...read.php?t=983

BroadHopper 10-08-2014 10:23 AM

Red hill Inn
 
now falling into disrepair. Last inspection is showing considerable water damage. Is the NH Music Festival holding onto the property hoping the market will go up? If so why are they letting such a beautiful building fall in?

chocophile 10-08-2014 10:32 AM

Bailey's Then and Now
 
As a financial planner, I talk to my clients about effect of inflation on pensions. I'm now going to use Bailey's menu to illustrate the point:

rgilfert 10-08-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocophile (Post 234647)
As a financial planner, I talk to my clients about effect of inflation on pensions. I'm now going to use Bailey's menu to illustrate the point:

Ha .... maybe they put a lot more clams in the chowda now!

mets3007 10-10-2014 12:19 AM

Fun little fact my mom went to NH when she was pregnant with me and ate at HoJos a few times lol. The places I remember were from the late 1980s.

1. B mae's resort and restaurant- The best was the restaurant being so close and we used to stay and walk to the restaurant in the am. We loved that place.

2. Chop- was were Nadia's was, very good pancakes.

3. Frankensundae in Meredith

4. The original Sawyer's

5. Jt's bbq it closed recently but it was my favorite

Janet 10-10-2014 08:05 AM

Here's some old ones - how 'bout Chase's Drive-in in Meredith, Interlakes Dairy Bar and although not restaurants - True's Gift Shop and Samaha's in Meredith.

BroadHopper 10-10-2014 09:45 AM

Interlakes Diary Bar
 
Originally was called Weeks Diary Bar, same family as the one in Laconia. It became Interlakes when the cousin who owns the business had a falling out with the others. I believe he had a diary bar in Dover or Durham.

Phantom 10-10-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 234797)
. I believe he had a diary bar in Dover or Durham.



Dover --- Week's Circle

Of course the "circle" / rotary doesn't exist anymore ... currently the intersection of New Rochester Rd (Rte 108). & Indian Brook Rd (Rte 9).

Use to go there all the time when I was in college at UNH



.

Steveo 10-10-2014 11:43 AM

Dot's Lunch
 
How about Dot's lunch in Glendale (now Lyon's Den totally rehabed). I use to be a soda jerk there in the late 60's. Commuted to work by boat since I wasn't old enough to drive.

Phantom 10-10-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steveo (Post 234802)
How about Dot's lunch in Glendale (now Lyon's Den totally rehabed). I use to be a soda jerk there in the late 60's. Commuted to work by boat since I wasn't old enough to drive.

OHHH Steve,

Perhaps I am just "punchy" sitting here itching to get on the Road to the Lake ...

But I see two "slow pitches over the plate" looking for a wise ass remark !

(I'll refrain :D)



.

BroadHopper 10-10-2014 11:59 AM

Glendale
 
I remember The Mole's Hole Pub. One of my first watering holes.

The Victorian House up across from Lake Shore Park was another. All you can eat steamers with beer.

I remember a small pub near the old Glendale Store whose owner was an elderly lady that would sing while she work! Anyone recall the name?

biggestblu 10-10-2014 12:19 PM

Still depressed
 
Still haven't gotten over the closing of "The Hickory Stick Farm" restaurant. Occasionally order duck at other restaurants ... none are even close. I won't even get into the duck pate'. All good things come to an end ... wasn't close to getting my fill.

Dad sold the C * C 10-10-2014 12:29 PM

Jumping Jacks on Winnisquam
As a Kid I remember the food being OK, but the ICE CREAM :liplick:

I remember that my Dad loved the fried clams at the Double Decker.

BroadHopper 10-10-2014 01:44 PM

Favorite as a kid
 
My favorite when I eat out as a kid was beans and hot dogs. Not many places served them except for Winnisquam House and Double Decker.

Double Decker was THE PLACE for fried clams, Boulevard Drive In was THE PLACE for onion rings. For ice cream, Weeks Diary hands down!

Top of the Town was the place for prime ribs and still is!

mcdude 10-10-2014 02:42 PM

http://s.lnimg.com/xnet/mainsite/Htt...dth=0&Height=0
.....and before it was the Victorian House it was known as Stoddard's Lodge and maybe a few other things in between!
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...gedownsize.JPG
and perhaps even the Hampshire House? looks kinda like it but not sure
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...wvictorian.jpg
click here for a larger view of this image
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=8841

Here are some more oldies....
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...leerdining.jpghttp://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...wakitatina.jpg

Barney Bear 10-10-2014 04:03 PM

Hickor Stick Farm
 
The roast duck was served with orange sauce. Our favorite deserts included Grand Marnier blueberries, and the hickory stick log.

glennsteely 10-10-2014 05:01 PM

Please...please....
 
Please, can someone tell me what resturaunt, i want to say in was in holderness, they used to put these huge chunks of white chocolate on the table for you to "chunk off" and eat after your meal.....boy was that good!!

barefootbay 10-10-2014 05:05 PM

The Common Man .

webmaster 10-11-2014 08:51 AM

The Sweetwater Inn - 1993 Menu
 
Destroyed by fire in 1996.

webmaster 10-11-2014 08:58 AM

The Woodshed - 1993 Menu
 
Destroyed by fire in 2013.

webmaster 10-11-2014 09:24 AM

Chequers Harbour - 1993 Menu
 
Canoe is now at this location.

Greene's Basin Girl 10-11-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 234791)
Here's some old ones - how 'bout Chase's Drive-in in Meredith, Interlakes Dairy Bar and although not restaurants - True's Gift Shop and Samaha's in Meredith.

I will probably seem very old, but I worked at the Interlakes Dairy Bar. Before school started we would always shop at Samaha's and Grads in Meredith. We purchased food at Meredith Fruit. I remember a sign that was posted at True's- "If you drop me you have bought me".

Lakepilot 10-11-2014 06:47 PM

Anybody remember Foxy Johnnies? They had tons of interesting fire dept. memorabilia.

Sal 10-11-2014 10:02 PM

Mr. Webmaster . . . . .
 
This is such a wonderful thread that it belongs in the "General Discussion"
channel. Threads are generally moved away from General Discussion to sub-categories, but in my (limited) experience, none are move TO it.

This thread is memory provoking and a wonderful read.

Strikes me that more of our brethren would see it and enjoy it if it were moved to the BIG show. :)

rgilfert 10-12-2014 06:12 AM

ThankYou!
 
Awesome menus, webmaster! They generated many fond/treasured memories! Thank you!

rgilfert 10-12-2014 07:28 AM

Wolfe's Tavern Question
 
While reading the new posts on this thread this morning, I got thinking about when the Wolfe's Tavern opened? I have memories of having an occasional dinner (hosted by my grandfather) at the Wolfeboro Inn (restaurant) back in the late 1950's & throughout the 60's but I have no recollection of the Wolfe's Tavern being there back then. This could very well be because my sister and I were too young to be taken into the bar....but I simply have no memory of it even being there. Since becoming an adult I have become a member of the tavern's "mug club" which I didn't complete until 2008 and by virtue of the fact that my mug is #2081 (and it took me 11 years to complete the challenge) it indicates that the tavern must have been there for many years before that. Was the Tavern always there and perhaps served as the bar supporting the restaurant all the way back into the 1950's or was it opened at some point in time after that? Looking at the drawing of the inn on the placemat back in my original post .. There is no mention of the Wolfe's tavern on the sign. There also doesn't appear to be a break in the picket fence that would lead up to the tavern's front door .... But that may just have been a case of "poetic license" taken by the artist. Does anyone know something about the history of Wolfe's Tavern?

webmaster 10-12-2014 07:43 AM

Chase's Country Towne House - 1994 Menu
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 234791)
how 'bout Chase's Drive-in in Meredith

Was the drive-in part of the Towne House? I don't remember it.

Here's an ad/menu from the 1994 "Dining Out in the Lakes Region" magazine:

tis 10-12-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgilfert (Post 234868)
While reading the new posts on this thread this morning, I got thinking about when the Wolfe's Tavern opened? I have memories of having an occasional dinner (hosted by my grandfather) at the Wolfeboro Inn (restaurant) back in the late 1950's & throughout the 60's but I have no recollection of the Wolfe's Tavern being there back then. This could very well be because my sister and I were too young to be taken into the bar....but I simply have no memory of it even being there. Since becoming an adult I have become a member of the tavern's "mug club" which I didn't complete until 2008 and by virtue of the fact that my mug is #2081 (and it took me 11 years to complete the challenge) it indicates that the tavern must have been there for many years before that. Was the Tavern always there and perhaps served as the bar supporting the restaurant all the way back into the 1950's or was it opened at some point in time after that? Looking at the drawing of the inn on the placemat back in my original post .. There is no mention of the Wolfe's tavern on the sign. There also doesn't appear to be a break in the picket fence that would lead up to the tavern's front door .... But that may just have been a case of "poetic license" taken by the artist. Does anyone know something about the history of Wolfe's Tavern?

According to the History of Wolfeboro (Bowers), the Tavern was started in 1988 after a group of investors mostly from Ma. bought the Inn. The manager was a local guy, Leigh Turner. I had to look up the date because I knew it wasn't always there and exactly when it came to be got me curious too!!

tis 10-12-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakepilot (Post 234853)
Anybody remember Foxy Johnnies? They had tons of interesting fire dept. memorabilia.

They had the biggest steaks ever! How anybody ate them I never knew!! Or was it prime rib that was huge???

Shore Driver 10-14-2014 09:30 AM

Hickory Stick! Thanks for posting. They had duck.

Closed in 2000??

guessing

Just Sold 10-14-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shore Driver (Post 234974)
Hickory Stick! Thanks for posting. They had duck.

Closed in 2000??

guessing

I remember the Hickory Stick. We only went one time when I was about 12 and I had Duck too!. I enjoyed the whole dinner. :liplick:

ishoot308 10-15-2014 12:53 PM

Great Memories!
 
I love seeing pictures of the old "Chanticleer"! What a great place that was! Spent many summers vacationing there when I was very young.

jbolty 06-26-2015 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glennsteely (Post 234621)
Now there was a spot to remember....i put on many a summer pound at that place!!! Awesome!!

I used to work at Barney's Ice Cream and the amount of ice cream we used to deliver to Frankensundae was astounding. I recall it being about 300 3gal tubs, three times a week and sometimes we would just park a truck on site and inventory what they had used over the weekend.

dykg 06-27-2015 07:43 AM

Some other restaurants from the past, Jade Island & dragon Villa. Also remember JJ Beef's Sea, Nashvile North, Halfmoon Restaurant & the spaghetti place next to the Veterans HQ. All places we ate at when we were kids. Brings back fond memories.

bigdog 06-28-2015 07:43 AM

Don't have any pictures, but I remember back in the mid-late 60's going to 'Dorothy's restaurant, which was located on the current site of the Lyon's Den
at the Glendale docks.

We use to go there Friday nights after our drive up to the lake from Mass. They had the BEST fried chicken around ! Many good memories.........

NHMOMMA 06-28-2015 08:58 AM

The Depot ~ was near the Meredith town docks. Food was 'so-so' but it was a great place to go dancing. Joe Drukus and his band played there quite often.

Thanks for all the memories. :)

Boston Fireguy 06-29-2015 02:06 AM

A Few More
 
Going back further who remembers The Red Barn Restaurant at MacIntyre Circle (where Shaw's Supermarket is)? I believe John MacIntyre owned it. His brother was once the Mayor of Quincy MA. In the 90's it was The Roadkill Cafe. Or The Shore Diner? That was torn down back in the 70's (?) to make way for the former Burger King that is now Watermark Marine on Union Av. One rumor at the time put the purchase price of the Diner at $1,000,000: an unheard of price then.

My kids, in their 30s, still like to tell visitors to the Lake stories of going to BK by boat and tying up at their docks for lunch. :cheers:

Boston Fireguy 06-29-2015 02:15 AM

Just One More...
 
The Boulevard Drive-In on Weirs Blvd! I seem to remember 8' yellow fluorescent bulbs lighting the place to keep the bugs away. Where Hawaiian Ice was.

mcdude 06-29-2015 07:58 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IzoEaOJpqJ...1600/Dlf_a.jpg

jbolty 06-29-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boston Fireguy (Post 247598)
The Boulevard Drive-In on Weirs Blvd! I seem to remember 8' yellow fluorescent bulbs lighting the place to keep the bugs away. Where Hawaiian Ice was.

The main thing I remember from Blvd Drive In was the foot long hot dogs. We used to drive from center harbor to laconia every week or two for our major shopping trip and it was a huge treat to stop there on the way.

The earliest thing I remember from MacIntyre Circle is The Big Banana but I'm sure there was some sort of diner, drive in or dive there before.

Greene's Basin Girl 06-29-2015 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 247608)
The main thing I remember from Blvd Drive In was the foot long hot dogs. We used to drive from center harbor to laconia every week or two for our major shopping trip and it was a huge treat to stop there on the way.

The earliest thing I remember from MacIntyre Circle is The Big Banana but I'm sure there was some sort of diner, drive in or dive there before.

We also enjoyed the Blvd. Drive In. We use to travel from Moultonborough and have lunch there. I remember that one day my mom backed into one of the poles in the parking area as we were leaving. After lunch we would always go shopping at the GLOBE DEPARTMENT STORE. When I was a teenager I worked at the Big Banana!!! The owner was a tough one to work for.

BroadHopper 06-29-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boston Fireguy (Post 247597)
Going back further who remembers The Red Barn Restaurant at MacIntyre Circle (where Shaw's Supermarket is)? I believe John MacIntyre owned it. His brother was once the Mayor of Quincy MA. In the 90's it was The Roadkill Cafe. Or The Shore Diner? That was torn down back in the 70's (?) to make way for the former Burger King that is now Watermark Marine on Union Av. One rumor at the time put the purchase price of the Diner at $1,000,000: an unheard of price then.

My kids, in their 30s, still like to tell visitors to the Lake stories of going to BK by boat and tying up at their docks for lunch. :cheers:

The Red Barn became the Boot Barn in the 70's. It was torn down to make the parking lot for Shaw's mall. The Shore Diner, Jerry's Diner was where Watermark, former Burger King. I remember the Road Kill but can't recall where it was.

I will never forget the Sportmen's Den where Jon's Roast Beef, NuWave is.

Another great place in Glendale, The Iron Pot, where the Lakeside Sharks gather. Below the Lyon's Den was the Mole's Hole.

jbolty 06-29-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl (Post 247609)
We also enjoyed the Blvd. Drive In. We use to travel from Moultonborough and have lunch there. I remember that one day my mom backed into one of the poles in the parking area as we were leaving. After lunch we would always go shopping at the GLOBE DEPARTMENT STORE. When I was a teenager I worked at the Big Banana!!! The owner was a tough one to work for.

Globe, Mammoth Mart, Dan's Star Market, WT Grant. Then pick up the stuff we had ordered the week before at the Sears store and a couple times a year to get shoes at Kasper's in Lakeport.

AC2717 06-29-2015 10:10 AM

what about the busy corner convenience store in Laconia on Union Ave to get penny candy for the boat ride back to the island

jetskier 06-29-2015 08:27 PM

How about this one?
 
The Roadkill Cafe in Laconia

tis 06-30-2015 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetskier (Post 247644)
The Roadkill Cafe in Laconia

Doesn't that sound like Leigh Turner?

Mr. V 06-30-2015 10:01 AM

Gone, but not forgotten.


http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...um/4waldos.jpg

sum-r breeze 06-30-2015 11:26 AM

Here's a few
 
How about Bonanza and Jeremiah's (now T Bones and Cactus Jacks) The Cackling Crow (Across from the Margate) Grill 25 Center Harbor

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back

Resident 2B 06-30-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 247663)

Simply the best!

R2B

jbolty 06-30-2015 12:23 PM

Let's test the age of the members here.


Beef and Bay in Center Harbor.

SIKSUKR 06-30-2015 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 247663)

I miss Pepper on this board.

Airedale1 06-30-2015 03:09 PM

Thanks for the memories!

I really loved the original Baileys, lots of great memories there. I also miss Franken Sundae that was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the resurrection of the Woodshed.

NHBUOY 07-01-2015 07:56 AM

Remember the Pirate's Den in Wolfboro..?

SAMIAM 07-01-2015 08:36 AM

Anybody remember "Slim's" in Lakeport ? It was a little diner located where CJ Avery's is now.

SAMIAM 07-01-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 247671)
Let's test the age of the members here.


Beef and Bay in Center Harbor.

Got me...where was it?

jbolty 07-01-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 247732)
Got me...where was it?

about where either century 21 or Coldwell banker is now, forget exactly.

I think it closed about 1972

upthesaukee 07-01-2015 10:36 AM

I remember the Schooner there...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 247729)
Anybody remember "Slim's" in Lakeport ? It was a little diner located where CJ Avery's is now.

Great restaurant...husband Roland and his wife. One of my mom and dad's favorite eateries.

Descant 09-01-2015 05:18 PM

For Broadhopper and Steveo and recalling Jeff's
 
Way back up this thread , BH, you asked about the Iron Pot in Glendale, between the fire station and the Glendale Store.
The owners names were Charlotte and Lindsay. If I remember correctly, they were "retired" from New Jersey. They would never say what they did there.

Steveo: I too worked at Dorothy's in Glendale late 60's. First as a short order cook and the next year as counter server/soda jerk. $0.90/ an hour plus tips, I think.

All the poster's on this thread talk about the food. At one time or another, I probably ate at most of the restaurants listed. But not for the food. There were a lot of small family run restaurants that were open only in the summer and staffed by students on summer vacation. That was when summer vacation actually lasted until Labor Day. We all went to the restaurants to meet the waitresses.

Nobody has mentioned "Jeff's" at the Weirs in the Tarlson's Arcade building. Open 'til 2 am. People in shorts and people coming out of Irwin's Winnipesaukee Gardens in tuxes and evening gowns all mixed together. And a few hours later, open again for breakfast at 6am.

Tank151 09-04-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 247675)
I miss Pepper on this board.

What happened to the Waldo's roof airplane?

Overlake97 05-12-2018 06:28 PM

Chinese Restaurant???
 
1 Attachment(s)
I know this is an old thread, but it seemed like a good place to ask this question: Were these two columns, about 1000 feet south of the Weirs Beach roundabout (on the left), the entrance to a Chinese restaurant at one time? I have a memory of one being there, and even eating there, but my wife thinks I dreamt it. :confused:

jbolty 05-12-2018 08:22 PM

Does not sound familiar. Can you do a google earth map and point out where you are thinking?

pondguy 05-14-2018 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlake97 (Post 294562)
I know this is an old thread, but it seemed like a good place to ask this question: Were these two columns, about 1000 feet south of the Weirs Beach roundabout (on the left), the entrance to a Chinese restaurant at one time? I have a memory of one being there, and even eating there, but my wife thinks I dreamt it. :confused:

Dragon Villa maybe ?

Overlake97 05-14-2018 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 294571)
Does not sound familiar. Can you do a google earth map and point out where you are thinking?

The restaurant (??), if it existed, would be right where the Red Arrow is pointing in the attached Google Maps image. That's where the two columns remain standing, right next to the road.

MeredithMan 05-14-2018 10:04 AM

Dragon Villa...
 
....was located where the old Smokehouse Saloon was located, before it burned down, which is on the other, (north), side of the Weirs Bridge. Right now, it is (another) vacant Weirs lot across the street from the "Weirs Beach" sign.

I barely remember Dragon Villa being there, but the above is from a quick internet search on "Dragon Villa", so it must be true, because it was on the internet, and everything on the internet is true. :eek:

nhcatrider 05-14-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 234873)
They had the biggest steaks ever! How anybody ate them I never knew!! Or was it prime rib that was huge???

The prime rib was gigantic. It took me 2 days to eat one, and that was when I was 18 and could eat like a horse. We lived across the street from the chef and he held up the gigantic slab of prime rib before he cooked it for me.

Major 05-16-2018 11:50 AM

Dragon Villa
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 294637)
....was located where the old Smokehouse Saloon was located, before it burned down, which is on the other, (north), side of the Weirs Bridge. Right now, it is (another) vacant Weirs lot across the street from the "Weirs Beach" sign.

I barely remember Dragon Villa being there, but the above is from a quick internet search on "Dragon Villa", so it must be true, because it was on the internet, and everything on the internet is true. :eek:

I worked there as a busboy in 1979 or 1980 (I can't remember exactly when). The owners were a pilot and his stewardess wife. I forget their names. The staff (cooks and waitresses) lived in the cottages behind the restaurant. The thing I remember about the experience was how dirty the kitchen was! Yuck!

sum-r breeze 05-17-2018 03:27 PM

Defunct condos
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlake97 (Post 294562)
I know this is an old thread, but it seemed like a good place to ask this question: Were these two columns, about 1000 feet south of the Weirs Beach roundabout (on the left), the entrance to a Chinese restaurant at one time? I have a memory of one being there, and even eating there, but my wife thinks I dreamt it. :confused:

The area you are referring to is land that was supposed to be developed by "Hillbilly Construction." They were supposed to build condos on that land and there used to be a sign hanging between those two poles. I remember it well because friends of ours had a condo that backed up to that land and sold it (prematurely I might add) fearing over crowded housing at his back door. Soon after he sold, the economy tanked and no more Hillbilly Construction project happening anywhere in the neighborhood.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back :D

WJT2 05-18-2018 08:38 AM

Golden Horseshoe
 
How about the golden Horseshoe on Meredith Neck. I think it was near Spindle point or on Pitchwood Island. I was probably 8 yrs young and recall going there by boat (1928 C/C Cadet " THE SIX T'S) from Birch Island with my relatives. Fun time. It was pizza and spaghetti place with red and white checkered table covers and an illuminated Golden Horseshoe was the sign.

Barney Bear 05-18-2018 03:38 PM

Golden Horseshoe Location 🍕
 
The Golden Horseshoe was located on the south end of Meredith Neck, opposite Horse Island. We used to go there from East Bear Island. I think, in later years, a Bruins hockey player bought it and converted it to a private residence. 🏒

Little Kin 05-18-2018 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While we are on this trip . . .

Little Kin 05-18-2018 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Depot . . . Attachment 13861

rozbeezer 05-20-2018 09:07 AM

Worst pizzz you ever ate!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WJT2 (Post 294875)
How about the golden Horseshoe on Meredith Neck. I think it was near Spindle point or on Pitchwood Island. I was probably 8 yrs young and recall going there by boat (1928 C/C Cadet " THE SIX T'S) from Birch Island with my relatives. Fun time. It was pizza and spaghetti place with red and white checkered table covers and an illuminated Golden Horseshoe was the sign.

Ketchup and parmison cheese.

garysanfran 05-20-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl (Post 234847)
I will probably seem very old, but I worked at the Interlakes Dairy Bar. Before school started we would always shop at Samaha's and Grads in Meredith. We purchased food at Meredith Fruit. I remember a sign that was posted at True's- "If you drop me you have bought me".

In the early 60's until it closed my family ate at Interlakes Dairy a lot. You must have been one of our waiters. There was a gas station across the street on the corner and one of the mechanics was named Freddie...The craziest motorcyclist I ever made an acquaintance with. He could do a handstand on the handlebars at 80 mph. up Rt. 3.

I remember Trues and the "If You Drop Me You've Bought Me" it sign. Made me a bit paranoid. Got school clothes at Grads. I think Samaha's was a women's clothing store?

jbolty 05-20-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 294905)
In the early 60's until it closed my family ate at Interlakes Dairy a lot. You must have been one of our waiters. There was a gas station across the street on the corner and one of the mechanics was named Freddie...The craziest motorcyclist I ever made an acquaintance with. He could do a handstand on the handlebars at 80 mph. up Rt. 3.

I remember Trues and the "If You Drop Me You've Bought Me" it sign. Made me a bit paranoid. Got school clothes at Grads. I think Samaha's was a women's clothing store?

We never went out to eat much and even interlakes dairy was a treat. When I was maybe 5 or 6 Fran Daigneau, one of the waitress there, gave me a little metal toy motorcycyle

The gas station was an Amoco and the only place that had "white gas" My dad would fill up the coleman stove and lantern with that because he was too cheap to buy the coleman gas.

jeffatsquam 05-21-2018 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 294911)
We never went out to eat much and even interlakes dairy was a treat. When I was maybe 5 or 6 Fran Daigneau, one of the waitress there, gave me a little metal toy motorcycyle

The gas station was an Amoco and the only place that had "white gas" My dad would fill up the coleman stove and lantern with that because he was too cheap to buy the coleman gas.

FRAN DAIGNEAU, My son's best friend's Great Grandmother's Sister.

Janet 05-21-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 294905)
In the early 60's until it closed my family ate at Interlakes Dairy a lot. You must have been one of our waiters. There was a gas station across the street on the corner and one of the mechanics was named Freddie...The craziest motorcyclist I ever made an acquaintance with. He could do a handstand on the handlebars at 80 mph. up Rt. 3.

I remember Trues and the "If You Drop Me You've Bought Me" it sign. Made me a bit paranoid. Got school clothes at Grads. I think Samaha's was a women's clothing store?

Loved going to Interlakes Dairy and getting their "Sissy Splits". Also remember going to Samaha's, the A&P and Prescott Pharmacy. How many of us went to the "Key Theatre"?!

garysanfran 05-21-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 294918)
Loved going to Interlakes Dairy and getting their "Sissy Splits". Also remember going to Samaha's, the A&P and Prescott Pharmacy. How many of us went to the "Key Theatre"?!

Wow. I remember the Key Theater well. I think we went there twice.

Does anyone remember Rockledge Cottages at the end of Meredith Neck?

Top-Water 01-05-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 234797)
Originally was called Weeks Diary Bar, same family as the one in Laconia. It became Interlakes when the cousin who owns the business had a falling out with the others. I believe he had a diary bar in Dover or Durham.

Mom and Dad used to go here, defiantly not considered fine dining, but was a safe place to grab a meal on the rare occasion that Mom did not feel like cooking not to mention an excellent dessert. A family favorite years ago.

https://i.imgur.com/pigp9UT.jpg

SAMIAM 01-05-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 305982)
Mom and Dad used to go here, defiantly not considered fine dining, but was a safe place to grab a meal on the rare occasion that Mom did not feel like cooking not to mention an excellent dessert. A family favorite years ago.

https://i.imgur.com/pigp9UT.jpg

Home of the "Awful Awful".....awful big awful good according to the ads

joey2665 01-05-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 305983)
Home of the "Awful Awful".....awful big awful good according to the ads



Were in Laconia was this?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Top-Water 01-05-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 305988)
Were in Laconia was this?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Main Street just past Dunkin Donuts and Sanel Auto Parts as I remember it maybe Shang Hai Restaurant now.

joey2665 01-05-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 305989)
Main Street just past Dunkin Donuts and Sanel Auto Parts as I remember it maybe Shang Hai Restaurant now.



Awesome thank you. I’ll drive by when I am in town


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Barney Bear 01-05-2019 04:11 PM

Awful, Awful - Yum, Yum!
 
One of our favorite places to visit on our way home. 🐻

Top-Water 01-05-2019 05:16 PM

Whites Double Decker
 
Whites Double Decker

Another family favorite mentioned earlier by other folks in this thread from way back when. Very popular, but it seemed to go down hill after they added the large screened in porch/ outdoor eating section. (Porch not shown in this image) I always wondered when going to mass on Saturday evenings across the street when you would hear the same order number being called out over and over on the loudspeaker "Who ordered before mass" your order is ready.

Anyone remember the "Thru Way" a little ways back down the road in Lochmere , or Porky's just up the street from the Double Decker ?

Scallop Plate $1.00 :)

The building is quite different looking now a days, a somewhat related thread.
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ghlight=decker

https://i.imgur.com/lWWuyaW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/g2v9QO5.jpg

gravy boat 01-06-2019 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dykg (Post 247537)
Some other restaurants from the past, Jade Island & dragon Villa. Also remember JJ Beef's Sea, Nashvile North, Halfmoon Restaurant & the spaghetti place next to the Veterans HQ. All places we ate at when we were kids. Brings back fond memories.

Jade Island had the best Scorpion Bowls and Poo Poo Platter. And Kwan King would be at the front desk and keeping a watchful eye over the staff.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.