Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Private Jets, jets and more jets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3620)

gravy boat 07-23-2006 05:06 PM

Private Jets, jets and more jets

I noticed a larger than average number of private jets arriving and departing Laconia Airport in the last week. Race weeks attract tons, but I don't believe there are races.

Has anybody else noticed this increase in private/charter jets? And does anybody know who these people are and what they do to make the money required to charter and/or own one? (Just curious, as I am willing to change my line of work so I can buy me one.)

:cool:

tis 07-23-2006 06:23 PM

We always see a lot of jets come in on THursday night before the race -course that was last weekend. It is fun to see them.

jrc 07-23-2006 08:37 PM

There have been some pretty big bands at Meadowbrook. Some of them might fly in.

Hermit Cover 07-23-2006 09:06 PM

Jets....Private Jets?

Those are just the daily jets that bring fresh lobsters to Pepper from the Maine coast!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mr. V 07-24-2006 01:46 AM

Britney and Kevin, looking for a spot to park a doublewide on Governors Island.

jkjoshuatree 07-24-2006 07:22 AM

Gravyboat...

...work, work, and more work to answer your question.

My next door neighbor has a helicopter, seaplane, and he just bought a six person jet.

He's the most down-to-earth, cool, guy in the world. He just works his butt off.

And obviously he saves his pennies.

Weirs guy 07-24-2006 11:25 AM

I brought the family over to the airport durring race week and most of the planes there were turbo props! Thought that kinda odd since I seem to be hearing a lot more jets lately, that week included.

Grant 07-24-2006 02:29 PM

Yeah, well, I got sick of the long rides up to the Lake, so I took out a home equity loan and picked up a little Gulfstream. Nothing too fancy, mind you -- just enough for me, the wife & kids, the dog, fishing & dive gear. It's cut down the 7+ hour commute to just under an hour. Of course, there's the minor inconvenience of getting from Laconia to Tuftonboro once the bird touches down, but I'm thinking of picking up a little Hyundai to address this...

Frdxplorer 07-25-2006 12:57 PM

Grant,

If you're ever looking for passengers, let me know and I'll make it to SE philly to join you.:)

Grant 07-25-2006 01:02 PM

No need to venture to Glenside, I'll simply fly by and pick you up. Is there an air field with enough runway? If not, I'll have my butler fetch you in the Bentley. Do you prefer Russian or North Sea caviar?

(Regardless, the beverage of choice remains Yuengling Lager...) :D

Good N' You? 07-25-2006 01:19 PM

I was going to stop by the airport and put up a ripped peice of paper asking to hitch a ride on one of those nice jets. I bet someone would be looking to split gas on one of those, right?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Winni 07-25-2006 07:04 PM

A Pilot's Opinion

As for the jets... we took a scenic plan ride a couple years ago out of Laconia (got lots of great pixs!). I asked the pilot why, at times, there are an incredible number of jets parked at the airfield. He told me it was very specifically related to students coming and going from Brewster Academy (big bucks there!) events and vacations. I'm sure this would include summer events as well. I found that pretty amazing.

I also think increased jet traffic might have something to do with Meadowbrook concerts.

gravy boat 07-27-2006 06:39 AM

Grant...

Grant,

I have a cool $25M burning a hole in my pocket -- let me know when you tire of your Gulfstream IV.....

Gravy

Mee-n-Mac 07-27-2006 09:39 AM

Wretched Excess I say

All you people from out of state with your flashy, too loud, too big toys ! It's you "beautiful people" who are ruining this state for the rest of us normal people. I say you don't need your gas guzzling Gulfstream IV ! No, a more properly sized, fuel sipping micro jet like the rest of us use is appropriate for this region ! And after touchdown, why are you tearing up our roads with your bling bling Bentley. A simple personal helicopter would do to transport you from the airport to your camp but noooo, it's not showy enough for you is it ! I tell you this whole state is being taken over by big money interests who are running ruffshod over us little guys in our microjets ! ;)

Grant 07-27-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winni
As for the jets... we took a scenic plan ride a couple years ago out of Laconia (got lots of great pixs!). ...

The guy in Moultonboro (where 109 meets 25) does scenic flights -- just tell him where you want to go. Did one last year with my dad, flew over our house and everything in between, and snapped a bunch of cool pix. It was very cool for both of us to enjoy our first-ever aerial view of the area after so many years. (Although I did fly into Laconia a few times in the 70s on a little commuter line that ran between there and Logan...)

Our shore:

http://k47.pbase.com/v3/49/16149/2/48409639.006_19A.jpg

Wawbeek Shore, Melvin Bay, Store Island:

http://mk29.image.pbase.com/v3/49/16...48.008_17A.jpg

Abenaki Tower:

http://i.pbase.com/v3/49/16149/2/48409398.005_20A.jpg

Weirs guy 07-27-2006 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
I tell you this whole state is being taken over by big money interests who are running ruffshod over us little guys in our microjets ! ;)

I didn't seem to get issued my microjet, can I pick it up at the airport? Maybe I'll just borrow Jr's. :D

Dogg 07-27-2006 09:51 PM

Some do good

Some people seem to not like this idea, or seems they want to be very sacastic in thier response... Not all of 'those' people with Jets that fly in are close to bad! Some of them use thier money to buy land and preserve it, not build a McMansion, but save someone else from doing so! They also pay much of the taxes that allow ours to be so cheap! There are plent of 'locals' that ruin it all too, how many DWI's/drug arrests do you see a day? I would rather listen to jet fly over then having to worry about being killed by someone who is drunk at night.. There is just enough bad in the towns as there are fancy people with jets that ruin the area...

SIKSUKR 07-28-2006 06:47 AM

Huhh??? What???

Mee-n-Mac 07-28-2006 07:10 AM

Lost the scent

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
Huhh??? What???

I think Dogg missed the -> :D & ;) <- in my post and somehow thought I was being serious.

gravy boat 07-28-2006 07:28 AM

Reference for Dogg....

From Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary:

humor : 3 a; that quality which appeals to a sense of the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous b : the mental faculty of discovering, expressing, or appreciating the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous c: something that is or is designed to be comical or amusing

Also see:

out of humor : out of sorts

Weirs guy 07-28-2006 11:45 AM

I just wanted my micro jet, I promise not to fly it when I'm drunk.

RI Swamp Yankee 07-28-2006 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
{snip} A simple personal helicopter would do to transport you from the airport to your camp but noooo, it's not showy enough for you is it ! {snip} ;)

Well... you have to admit that personal helicopter can't transport the required 2 cases (or more) of beer so it is somewhat limited. The micro jet is the only way to go! ;)