Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Sandy Point Restaurant 2018 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23097)

upthesaukee 03-13-2018 08:42 AM

Sandy Point Restaurant 2018

The Sandy Point Restaurant will be opening the first week in May. The sign at the resort has been advertising "now hiring" for some time. Glad to see that the restaurant should be able get an early start on the season that was missing last year.

Here is a link to three Facebook post: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...59439537912385

Now if we can keep this thread focused on 2018, and not on past years.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TheTimeTraveler 03-13-2018 09:26 AM

Does anyone know if this will be run by the same people that ran it in 2017 ???

ghfromaltonbay 03-13-2018 01:23 PM

Yes, same management

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 291992)
Does anyone know if this will be run by the same people that ran it in

Same guy as last year.

Chef Tony 03-15-2018 11:56 AM

Yes I will be back again this year. I am working on revamping the menu including adding weekend breakfast. I have spoken to some of the lobster suppliers already and it looks like wholesale prices should be down compared to last year which means lower menu prices on them.

And we are looking to fill kitchen and server positions for the summer so that we can be open every day.

Mr. V 03-16-2018 06:01 PM

Have looked into hiring overseas workers on a contract, like I've seen at the T-shirt store at the Weirs?

MBNeckguy 03-18-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 292084)
Have looked into hiring overseas workers on a contract, like I've seen at the T-shirt store at the Weirs?

Are you referring to the J-1 Student Visa Program?

That market is the most competitive it has ever been this year. More and more employers are trying to take advantage of the great program / opportunity. The number of available J-1 Visas is capped each year, making it harder to hire these great students.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Mr. V 03-18-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBNeckguy (Post 292130)
Are you referring to the J-1 Student Visa Program?

I don't know the name of the program, I only know, based on conversations with a worker or two, that you'd wind up with a "captive" employee for the summer season.

Given the difficulty in hiring help during the summer it might make sense to explore that avenue.

Chef Tony 04-14-2018 06:18 PM

With that program you have to keep them for the season.

phoenix 06-10-2018 04:27 PM

Anyone visit this summer and how was it. Looking at maybe returning for my annual group lobster dinner

Chef Tony 06-10-2018 09:42 PM

Check our Facebook page, https://m.facebook.com/Sandypointalton/ we've had lots of happy diners so far this year.

PENIVISA 06-11-2018 05:58 AM

Went with a friend on Friday for lunch and my buddy says there clam chowder was the best. I had a burger and fries with no complaints. Waitress was friendly and efficient. Definitely worth the boat ride.:D

Resident 2B 06-11-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Tony (Post 295790)
Check our Facebook page, https://m.facebook.com/Sandypointalton/ we've had lots of happy diners so far this year.

Great start to the season, Chef! Best wishes for continued success!

R2B

eyenotall777 06-12-2018 08:51 AM

My family went appox 2 weeks ago on a Saturday evening and they were satisfied w/ their meals and also the added options of sides (such as asparagus).

Looking forward to venturing there again w/ them soon.

Mr. V 06-12-2018 09:48 AM

This all sounds very encouraging; "what a difference a year makes."

Descant 06-13-2018 11:59 AM

Lobster?

Did I miss a post? Are they back to being a top notch lobster place or just another restaurant? Web site says "restaurant" but no link to menus.

GodSmile 06-13-2018 12:06 PM

Earlier in the season

We went in just a few days after they opened. Food was great. Service not so much, but they had a lot of servers there who were trying very hard and obviously learning the ropes. We will go back.

Chef Tony 06-13-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 295904)
Did I miss a post? Are they back to being a top notch lobster place or just another restaurant? Web site says "restaurant" but no link to menus.

here's a menu link

https://www.facebook.com/Sandypointalton/menu/

We are working on a new website

Mr. V 06-14-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Tony (Post 295908)
here's a menu link

OK, where's all the lobster on the menu?

I only see it as part of a macaroni dish; what, no baked stuffed lobster?

Why not?

People know of Sandy Point due to it's heavy sea food offerings, with lobster at the top.

In keeping the same name it implies (perhaps not fairly, but there it is) that whole lobster would still be featured.

Would a name change be appropriate since the spiny critters are now MIA?

Hillcountry 06-14-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 295956)

Why not?

People know of Sandy Point due to it's heavy sea food offerings, with lobster at the top.

In keeping the same name it implies (perhaps not fairly, but there it is) that whole lobster would still be featured.

I see 2 pages of menu...obviously, the one you are seeing is not the lobster menu. Plenty of Lobster on the one I see!

joey2665 06-14-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 295956)

Why not?

Two menus. Lunch and dinner. Lobster is at the end of the dinner menu

Descant 06-14-2018 08:00 PM

Front or back?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 295969)
Two menus. Lunch and dinner. Lobster is at the end of the dinner menu

So, weak/poor/non-existent marketing. "Sandy Point" is spelled "LOBSTER"
If that isn't the feature, top of the menu, change the name.
Let us know when it's time to go back for great lobster Not yet.

We've all seen times when "You're a great cook, you should open a restaurant" and the great cook knows littler/nothing about restaurant/business management
I repeat the question above, "Is this a great lobster place (again), or just another restaurant?"
I'm not seeing rave lobster reviews here.

FlyingScot 06-14-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 295982)

We've all seen times when "You're a great cook, you should open a restaurant" and the great cook knows littler/nothing about restaurant/business management
I repeat the question above, "Is this a great lobster place (again), or just another restaurant?"

I just don't think this is appropriate. I could sort of understand last year's criticisms when it was clear that things needed some work. But folks this year have had a good experience, so maybe a little grace is in order.

I hope folks who dine this year will continue to write in, and I wish Chef Tony the best of luck

joey2665 06-15-2018 05:24 AM

Give them a chance. The lobster is clearly on the menu there have been reviews but none of the patrons reporting have had the lobster. Hopefully someone will. If not why not just give it a try anyway then report back.

smith point boater 06-15-2018 06:52 AM

My wife and I have been there 4 times this year .. The food and service have been excellent. We had the lobster and steamer $25 special once and it was excellent. The Sunday $8 steamers are a favorite. Chef Tony advertises on Facebook almost weekly

You shouldn't be so quick to criticize if you haven't been there ( and yes I realize there have been mixed reviews over 2 years but our visits have all been good)

KPW 06-15-2018 07:49 AM

I had the surf & turf and it was awesome. The sides were great. Smothered mushrooms and onions, asparagus, and the best restaurant mac & cheese I have had. The lobster was cooked perfectly. The facebook picture is actually my dinner! I took the leftover mushrooms and onions and prime rib and made an awesome beef stroganoff. The Chef even let me take home the mac and cheese in the dish it was cooked in.

Mr. V 06-15-2018 10:55 AM

Ah, thanks, I didn't see there was a second page to the menu.

Sorry, my bad.

All is right with the world.

JEEPONLY 06-15-2018 03:35 PM

FlyingScot- well spoken!

Chef Tony 06-18-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 295982)

I try to stay out of this but anyone that graduated 8th grade can tell you that sandy point is spelled "S-a-n-d-y P-o-i-n-t" the tasty crustacean which turns red when cooked is spelled "L-O-B-S-T-E-R" . This is the new sandy point restaurant, If you want what was in past find a Delorean and a flux capacitor take, take it up to 88 MPH and go back 20 years.

All restaurants must evolve to survive, the once a year trek to that special place in the summer will not keep anyone in business. Why do you need someone else to make your decisions for you. Come in and try it for yourself. Make your own decisions. Let go of the past and embrace the future or at least the present. Wally is not here anymore, there is a new owner with new recipes and although the menu is similar things are different.

And please , If you think you can do better I will consider your buy out offer.

joey2665 06-18-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Tony (Post 296147)
I try to stay out of this but anyone that graduated 8th grade can tell you that sandy point is spelled "S-a-n-d-y P-o-i-n-t" the tasty crustacean which turns red when cooked is spelled "L-O-B-S-T-E-R" . This is the new sandy point restaurant, If you want what was in past find a Delorean and a flux capacitor take, take it up to 88 MPH and go back 20 years.

All restaurants must evolve to survive, the once a year trek to that special place in the summer will not keep anyone in business. Why do you need someone else to make your decisions for you. Come in and try it for yourself. Make your own decisions. Let go of the past and embrace the future or at least the present. Wally is not here anymore, there is a new owner with new recipes and although the menu is similar things are different.

And please , If you think you can do better I will consider your buy out offer.

Bravo!!!!!

Descant 06-18-2018 03:52 PM

My apologies to Chef Tony if I unintentionally offended. The point of my question was that several people had discussed their meals, but nobody said anything about lobster, implying to me that maybe it wasn't under consideration for some reason or there was some other slant to the menu.

Resident 2B 08-05-2018 04:38 PM

The wife and I stopped in to Sandy Point for lunch this afternoon and I was very impressed with the food, the service and the remodeling. It has been a long time since my last visit because my memory of Sandy Point was when it was knotty pine almost everywhere.

We were warmly welcomed by Summer who was also our waitress. She did a great job explaining the menu and making us feel welcomed. It is "Steamer Sunday" with a good-sized serving of sweet, steamed-clams for $8 and $5 draft, craft beers. We split the steamers as an app. They were fantastic!

My wife had a Clam Po Boy with full-bellied clams. She enjoyed it. I had the reuben which has served as an open faced sandwich. It was delicious! Both came with french fries that were great.

Congrats to Chef Tony and his staff. Sandy Point is a restaurant we will definitely visit again.

I know I have not posted much recently. We sold our place on the lake several years ago, but recently decided we are returning and will spend the week house hunting.

R2B

joey2665 08-05-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resident 2B (Post 299475)
The wife and I stopped in to Sandy Point for lunch this afternoon and I was very impressed with the food, the service and the remodeling. It has been a long time since my last visit because my memory of Sandy Point was when it was knotty pine almost everywhere.

We were warmly welcomed by Summer who was also our waitress. She did a great job explaining the menu and making us feel welcomed. It is "Steamer Sunday" with a good-sized serving of sweet, steamed-clams for $8 and $5 draft, craft beers. We split the steamers as an app. They were fantastic!

My wife had a Clam Po Boy with full-bellied clams. She enjoyed it. I had the reuben which has served as an open faced sandwich. It was delicious! Both came with french fries that were great.

Congrats to Chef Tony and his staff. Sandy Point is a restaurant we will definitely visit again.

I know I have not posted much recently. We sold our place on the lake several years ago, but recently decided we are returning and will spend the week house hunting.

R2B

Nice to have you back. You are an excellent contributor to the forum.