Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cutting Ceramic Tile (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24579)

bigdog 06-20-2019 06:18 PM

Cutting Ceramic Tile

I need to cut 1 piece of ceramic tile, it's just a straight cut !

Rather than spend $10-15 for a special cutting tool at Lowes or H.D.,
are there are other ways to cut ?

I heard you can cut ceramic tile with a 'carbide-tipped pencil', but how easy and effective ?
Also, where would I find a 'carbon tip pencil' ?

Any other recommendations appreciated !

WinnisquamZ 06-20-2019 06:56 PM

You could purchase a tile cutter table saw at Lowe’s cut the tile then return it. Or rent one

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ApS 06-20-2019 07:03 PM

Easy-Peasy...

Cutting ceramic tile in a 59-second video using one simple hand tool:

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/vide...-glass-cutter/

...and a metal coat hanger...

Bear Guy 06-21-2019 07:18 AM

Years ago I just took the one tile piece I needed cut back to the big-box store I bought it from, and the guy in the Flooring department cut it for me.
I know they still offer cutting services on lumber, though they've both stopped doing that for pressure treated items. Not sure if they still have a tile saw in the flooring department.

jbolty 06-21-2019 09:19 AM

right angle grinder with a masonry blade. It's a tool you should have any way and they can be had for $10 at harbor freight with a couple

Biggd 06-21-2019 09:34 AM

I have a tile saw in my garage but I' not up this weekend. If you can wait another week I would be glad to cut it for you. I'm in Meredith, PM me if you don't get it cut.

WinnisquamZ 06-21-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Guy (Post 313765)
Years ago I just took the one tile piece I needed cut back to the big-box store I bought it from, and the guy in the Flooring department cut it for me.

I know they still offer cutting services on lumber, though they've both stopped doing that for pressure treated items. Not sure if they still have a tile saw in the flooring department.

Great idea!

8gv 06-21-2019 08:41 PM

I have two ways to cut the tile.

One is a score and break tool.

The other is a small wet saw.

PM me if you wish to borrow either.

I'm in Laconia.

TiltonBB 06-22-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Guy (Post 313765)
I know they still offer cutting services on lumber, though they've both stopped doing that for pressure treated items.

Lowe's in Gilford cut pressure treated for me on Thursday. I have never had them refuse to cut lumber. Maybe I just got a rogue employee?

Bear Guy 06-22-2019 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 313816)
Lowe's in Gilford cut pressure treated for me on Thursday. I have never had them refuse to cut lumber. Maybe I just got a rogue employee?

I should clarify; neither the Lowes nor Home Depot near me (central Florida) will cut pressure treated wood. Both still offer lumber cutting service.
A quick online search indicates policies are inconsistent, perhaps state-to-state, on whether these stores will cut pressure treated for you.

Bear Guy 07-03-2019 01:05 PM

Just visited Lowes near me: the flooring department has a tile saw for in-store cutting service. Sign says employees can do straight cut, up to 20 inches long, on in-stock tile, for $0.25 a cut.

The Real BigGuy 07-03-2019 02:20 PM

That’s great but, at that price it would seem to be a $ loser. I wonder why they even charge?

Charlie T 07-03-2019 08:57 PM

Whatttt?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 313747)
You could purchase a tile cutter table saw at Lowe’s cut the tile then return it.

Its disturbing to see this suggestion. Is that what you would teach your children? Not very honest or honorable at all. Shame on you.

WinnisquamZ 07-03-2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie T (Post 314547)
Its disturbing to see this suggestion. Is that what you would teach your children? Not very honest or honorable at all. Shame on you.

Your reply indicates to me you are unfamiliar with the big box stores of today. Most, if not all of the tools you see on the center clearance tables are of what we speak of. It happens and is planned for in their sales projections

Top-Water 07-03-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 314549)
Your reply indicates to me you are unfamiliar with the big box stores of today.

Please Don't do this at the big box stores, just go to the little places and screw those guys................. :(:(:(:(

Just because it can happen does not make it right.

The Real BigGuy 07-04-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 314551)

Just because it can happen does not make it right.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

This is another symptom of the “it’s all about me” generation

Charlie T 07-04-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 314549)
Your reply indicates to me you are unfamiliar with the big box stores of today. Most, if not all of the tools you see on the center clearance tables are of what we speak of. It happens and is planned for in their sales projections

I'm totally familiar with what happens at the big box stores, this is just another step in the rapid decline of the values of society in the USA. This rarely happened 20 years ago and when it did, no one would publicly admit to it due to the shame that they would bring upon themselves. In current society it's sadly a badge of honor to screw someone and get away with it. Fortunately there are some people left who choose to do the right thing vs what is the best, easiest or most profitably just for themselves regardless of the expense to others.