Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Support Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Lurkers (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5528)

secondcurve 01-26-2008 07:41 AM

Lurkers

I just noticed the "What's going on" section at the bottom of the page. I was surprised to see this: Users: 167 (13 members and 154 guests). There certainly are a lot of visitors (lurkers) out there. Come on folks, sign up, pull up a chair and stay a while!!!

Newbiesaukee 01-26-2008 08:28 AM

The more the merrier....

but the numbers are, perhaps, misleading. I check the forum about 8 times daily, but I don't sign in unless I have something to say. I suspect I would be registered then as a guest.

fatlazyless 01-26-2008 08:37 AM

Must be the 400 volunteer NH state representatives keeping up on the latest speed limits postings...their opinions zig-zagging from pro to con, all week long, making high-speed turnabouts with each new outlook....hang on tight....that golden State House dome is a-rock'n. :argue:, so's best not to a-go..... a-knock'n while they do their serious deliberations, and all for just 50 bucks/year!:eek::cheers:

Merrymeeting 01-26-2008 08:44 AM

A lot of "them" are also the automated spybots, spambots, etc that continually troll websites looking to find email addresses, register as fake users to post spam and illegal ads, etc. Some are valid bots from Google and other search sites that are searching for those keywords that make the search engines work.

Webmasters like Don unfortunately have to spend a significant amount of time and resources protecting against the spam scum.

sa meredith 01-26-2008 09:16 AM

spam scum???

"Spam Scum"?????? Is that the little layer of jel on top of the spam?

SteveA 01-26-2008 08:12 PM

I needed that laugh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa meredith (Post 62021)
"Spam Scum"?????? Is that the little layer of jel on top of the spam?

LOL.. I allways hated Spam... now I have a name for the reason why I hated it.. Spam Scum.... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Island Life 01-27-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 62011)
I just noticed the "What's going on" section at the bottom of the page. I was surprised to see this: Users: 167 (13 members and 154 guests). There certainly are a lot of visitors (lurkers) out there. Come on folks, sign up, pull up a chair and stay a while!!!

I've got to agree with Newbiesaukee. A good portion of the guests are probably members who have not signed in. I only sign in when I make a comment.:)

Island Girl 01-27-2008 06:58 PM

Remember me

I check off the remember me box so that each time I go to the forum I am logged in... this way when I get there I see the posts that have been created since I last logged in... very very handy.

IG

Drummer Girl 01-27-2008 07:50 PM

Same for us

We do the same thing, Island Girl. It makes for a quick check to see only what we have missed since our last visit. Great feature!