Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Best place for ice cream? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9994)

KPH1108 05-24-2010 02:03 PM

Best place for ice cream?

For years, our family has had a tradition of going for ice cream to Town Docks in Meredith every Sunday from season opening until season closing. Until a year or so ago, their ice cream COULDN'T BE BEAT. Last summer we noticed a change in the quality. Some of the flavors were still good but not all. This past Sunday (5-23-10) we stopped again and were VERY disappointed. Not only was the portion size cut but the ice cream was really AWFUL...worse than some generic store brands. They are probably just trying to keep the prices down by cutting back but it was a big disappointment. We would rather they maintained the quality and raised the price! We were all talking about how bad the ice cream was and a couple at the next table overheard and joined in, agreeing with us.
My question is, does anyone know a really good ice cream place in that area so we can continue our tradition? (besides the Ben and Jerry's) Thanks!

jack1706 05-24-2010 02:20 PM

Anyplace that sells ice cream from "The Sandwich Creamery "

.. absolutely the best in the Lakes rRegion.

Oh La La , in Wolfeboro has it. sooooooooooo good & creamy... by far the best!!

trfour 05-24-2010 02:47 PM

Here's Some More Great Choices...

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...8622#post98622

Enjoy! :liplick:

Lucky1 05-24-2010 03:25 PM

I can't be of any help here as unfortunately I LOVE ANY KIND OF ICE CREAM. Since I am watching my fat intake, I am at the moment trying to keep from going off for a nice cold cone of some sort. I miss Franken Sundae. Flurries is a place that has non fat ice cream in soft serve as well as a couple of flavors in regular ice cream so that is where I tend to go.

joey2665 05-24-2010 03:38 PM

Town Docks Ice Cream

I am sorry but I must disagree with you. We were there on Saturday and I had strawberry while my wife and kids had vanilla and chocolate and they were excellent (nice and creamy). As far as the size goes the kids did not finish the kid cones and I asked for a small one scoop because the regular size was too large. I tend to consider myself and ice cream expert as it is not only my favorite dessert but I owned an ice cream distribution company in New York and used to get to sample all the new flavors before they were placed on the market from Haagen Daz and Ben & Jerry's. :liplick: I will admit though that there are quit a few good places for ice cream in the lakes region.

Argie's Wife 05-24-2010 03:58 PM

Johnson's in New Durham
Lone Oak in Rochester
and...
don't beat me up for sayin' it...
Dairy Queen in Laconia (sorry but nuttin' beats a good Mr. Misty brain freeze in August...)

Irish mist 05-24-2010 04:07 PM

Jordan's home made ice cream on 106 in Belmont. It's the best ice cream in the region.

VitaBene 05-24-2010 04:25 PM

Red Hill Dari

Red Hill Dari in Center Harbor on 25 (it may truly be in Moultonborough)

Slickcraft 05-24-2010 05:10 PM

Jordon's in Belmont and Sawyer's in Gilford.

Winni P 05-24-2010 05:10 PM

Our tradition

By car: Kellerhaus or Sawyers
By boat: Morrissey's Front Porch

Heaven 05-24-2010 06:12 PM

Morrissey's by boat(?)

Bly farm in Wolfeboro has Annalee's Ice cream, one of my favorites. That would be by car. The place in Alton I think has either Annalee's or Bobbysue's, which is my favorite and is by boat. That is, not counting Sandwich creamery, which is the best but of limited flavors.

beaner 05-24-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heaven (Post 128102)
Morrissey's by boat(?)

Bly farm in Wolfeboro has Annalee's Ice cream, one of my favorites. That would be by car. The place in Alton I think has either Annalee's or Bobbysue's, which is my favorite and is by boat. That is, not counting Sandwich creamery, which is the best but of limited flavors.

I'm pretty sure Bly Farm is Bobby Sue's (homemade in Freedom, NH). Great ice cream, and lots of great flavors.

Which place in Alton has either Annabelle's or Bobby Sue's?

mg2107 05-24-2010 08:17 PM

Lago's Lone Oak is the best in the state.

GFP 05-24-2010 09:07 PM

Chocolate Frappe

Where would I go for the best chocolate frappe?

RI Swamp Yankee 05-24-2010 09:13 PM

I am certainly no expert in knowing all the good places for ice cream around the Lake but Sawyer's in Gilford is our favorite.

baygo 05-24-2010 09:13 PM

do we count?

Our kitchen creates a limited number of Ice Cream Bombs. The most recent contained layers of homemade Royal Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Frangelico and homemade hazelnut Liqueur with a creamy caramel center all enclosed in a dark chocolate sphere with a cookie crunch floor.

This may not be the answer if your quest for ice cream relies on a "Dairy Bar" environment. This may be the answer and more for those who are over the age of 21 and would like to pair your treat with a great bottle of wine. Bomb ingredients and wine pairings change regularly.

BroadHopper 05-24-2010 10:27 PM

Ice cream lover.

Today, the best ice cream in the lakes Region is Jordan's in Belmont. Follows by Johnson's in New Durham. The others like Sawyers in Gilford, Bailey's Bubble in Wolfeboro seems to have gone down in quality. I never considered the Town Docks in Meredith that good. Franken Sundae and JB Scoop were great in their days. Weeks had the best local ice cream that I have ever tasted. Sandwich Creamery is great but limited in flavors.

Lakepilot 05-25-2010 04:42 AM

I like Bailey's Bubble in Wolfeboro and it is accessible by boat!

rrr 05-25-2010 08:23 AM

Bailey's Bubble

The Bubble is the best!

SAMIAM 05-25-2010 09:02 AM

For hard ice cream...we like Sawyers.They make their own ice cream right there.For soft serv,my Red Hill Dari.......low fat and a short walk from the docks.Also serving fruit smoothies with real fruit...not a mix.

Janet 05-25-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 128153)
For hard ice cream...we like Sawyers.They make their own ice cream right there.For soft serv,my Red Hill Dari.......low fat and a short walk from the docks.Also serving fruit smoothies with real fruit...not a mix.

Red Hill Dari's orange soft serv covered with chocolate is the best!

Argie's Wife 05-25-2010 10:28 AM

Any of these places have sugar-free ice cream? :confused:

JPC 05-25-2010 10:42 AM

Best ice cream

Jordan's is the best. Both soft serve and hard ice cream. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. My only problem is that my wife has a way of finding out that i've stopped for ice cream. :laugh:

mets3007 05-25-2010 11:32 AM

No one Mentioned Lili's on Weirs Blvd I love going there each summer but I won't make it this summer to do lack of funds.

Heaven 05-25-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaner (Post 128115)
I'm pretty sure Bly Farm is Bobby Sue's (homemade in Freedom, NH). Great ice cream, and lots of great flavors.

Which place in Alton has either Annabelle's or Bobby Sue's?

Ah yes you're probably right as Bly's and Bobby Sues is my favorite . . . I can't think of the name in Alton Bay, but it is the fish shack across from the dock that isn't named Pop's

trfour 05-25-2010 12:28 PM

Just Trying To Save The Best For Last...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mets3007 (Post 128172)
No one Mentioned Lili's on Weirs Blvd I love going there each summer but I won't make it this summer to do lack of funds.

A bummer that you can't make it up this summer. At least you can keep up with the fun and news here on Winnipesaukee.com .

Awesome Ice Cream! Liliuokalani's. http://www.liliuokalanis.com/
By car or boat.

PS: Argie's Wife, I'm pretty sure that they serve sugar free also. Just give them a call.

Terry

KPH1108 05-25-2010 12:59 PM

Thank you so much to everyone. With so many great recommendations, I think our new tradition will be to try a new place every week!

meredith weekender 05-25-2010 01:07 PM

By car: kellerhaus (cookie monster)

By boat: Lilli's

At Home: Goldenrod Drive-In, Manchester (best ice cream around with HUGE portions):liplick::liplick::liplick::liplick:

meredith weekender 05-25-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winni P (Post 128095)
By car: Kellerhaus or Sawyers
By boat: Morrissey's Front Porch

Where is Morrissey's Front Porch ???????

jack1706 05-25-2010 01:34 PM

Meredith Weekender.

It's in Wolfeboro, up past the schools on the left leaving Wolfeboro

( kinda far by boat though, I think)

KBoater 05-25-2010 03:21 PM

Any Place

Any place that sells ice cream is great. Love the stuff.

riverat 05-25-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heaven (Post 128173)
Ah yes you're probably right as Bly's and Bobby Sues is my favorite . . . I can't think of the name in Alton Bay, but it is the fish shack across from the dock that isn't named Pop's

Shibley's Take-Out

Fishin Fool 05-25-2010 05:58 PM

Shane's of Maine

Anywhere that sells Shane's of Maine ice cream, i.e.; fiddlehead farms (Dover and Alton) , Lovell lake food center (Wakefield).

Winni P 05-25-2010 07:56 PM

Oops...

I didn't mean Morrissey's, I meant the restaurant right by the Wolfeboro town docks - is it called Dockside? They have a walk up window for ice cream...

Overlake97 05-26-2010 02:16 PM

Shain's of Maine at the Melt Away Creamery

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Fool (Post 128228)
Anywhere that sells Shane's of Maine ice cream, i.e.; fiddlehead farms (Dover and Alton) , Lovell lake food center (Wakefield).

Shain's of Maine is also sold at the Melt Away Creamery @ 490 Laconia Rd, Tilton. Stopped in the other day, and the blueberry was excellent. Have not tried their food yet, but the menu looks tempting.

http://www.themeltaway.com/

Loony Singer 05-26-2010 03:36 PM

ice cream shop in Center Harbor?

Last year, a new ice cream shop opened in Center Harbor, just up from Heath's. He had some difficulty getting all of his work done and permits lined up, so he didn't open til fairly late in the season. Seemed like a very nice young guy. Hope he'll be around again this year. Anyone have an update??

Whimsey 05-26-2010 04:37 PM

Smith's in Alton

Has anyone tried Smith's Candy and Ice Cream in downtown Alton? Passed it on the way to Johnson's last night...which was excellent as always. :liplick:

Argie's Wife 05-26-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whimsey (Post 128345)
Has anyone tried Smith's Candy and Ice Cream in downtown Alton? Passed it on the way to Johnson's last night...which was excellent as always. :liplick:

Once. It was freezer burnt and awful. I don't remember the brand and it may have been a good one but the condition of the product was bad....

Zee 05-26-2010 09:22 PM

Shanes of Maine is also served at the Rt 16 Dairy Bar in Ossipee. There have been several mentions of Sandwich Creamery. I know that you can purchase it in some of the local markets but is there a location where you can "belly up to the bar" and eat some?

Argie's Wife 05-27-2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zee (Post 128372)
Shain's of Maine is also served at the Rt 16 Dairy Bar in Ossipee. There have been several mentions of Sandwich Creamery. I know that you can purchase it in some of the local markets but is there a location where you can "belly up to the bar" and eat some?

I can't tell if you're asking if Shain's or Sandwich has their own site where you can go... But I know that Shane's does - it's on Route 109 in South Sanford, Maine, after the Route 4/Route 109 intersection. They have a great restaurant there - perfect place for lunch - and it's on the way to the beach. Can't be beat!

Of course you can get Shain's all over New England and I've always felt at home when I see it up this way...

jack1706 05-27-2010 07:28 AM

Zee..

at www.sandwichcreamery.com it shows all the places sold,

on the menus at Inns.. etc.. I have never bought it in a market but I just

might try it for Memorial Day weekend....

hilltopper 05-27-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loony Singer (Post 128339)
Last year, a new ice cream shop opened in Center Harbor, just up from Heath's. He had some difficulty getting all of his work done and permits lined up, so he didn't open til fairly late in the season. Seemed like a very nice young guy. Hope he'll be around again this year. Anyone have an update??

It's called Dewey's and I believe they're already open.

http://www.deweysicecreamandcafe.com/

Slickcraft 05-27-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argie's Wife (Post 128161)
Any of these places have sugar-free ice cream? :confused:

We stopped at Jordan's this evening and they list six flavors of "no sugar added" ice cream. No, I don't recall what the flavors were.

We are normally in Hooksett Thursday afternoon via rt 106 so we feel obligated to stop at Jordan's to spur the local economy. I force myself to eat a cup of black raspberry.

GTO 05-28-2010 10:39 AM

best way.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack1706 (Post 128392)
Zee..

at www.sandwichcreamery.com it shows all the places sold,

on the menus at Inns.. etc.. I have never bought it in a market but I just

might try it for Memorial Day weekend....

The best place to buy it is at the creamery itself.....very late at night. They run an honor system there. You go into this little porch where there is a cooler filled with pints/quarts of various flavors. There is a slot where you can leave your money and sign their guest book. Really cool drive late at night or early morning down some really dark dirt roads in the middle of nowhere.

Winnipesaukee 05-29-2010 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 128093)
Red Hill Dari in Center Harbor on 25 (it may truly be in Moultonborough)

+1. Or any super market for a pint of Ciao Bella blackberry cabernet gelato. :liplick:

VitaBene 06-01-2010 06:59 AM

Thanks GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 128496)
The best place to buy it is at the creamery itself.....very late at night. They run an honor system there. You go into this little porch where there is a cooler filled with pints/quarts of various flavors. There is a slot where you can leave your money and sign their guest book. Really cool drive late at night or early morning down some really dark dirt roads in the middle of nowhere.

That is great info- I ride by there on my bike once a week or so (for those looking for a nice ride try 113A out, it is real nice (not the asphalt though)) and have often wondered if there was even a retail store there let alone a 24X7 self-serve bonanza!!

angela4design 06-01-2010 07:33 AM

Jordan's Ice Cream

FYI

They're now open all week for the summer season. Hours are Monday-Friday 3-8pm and Saturday & Sunday 11:30am-8pm.

Grady223 06-01-2010 03:32 PM

Psu

Not in the Lakes Region, but the absolute best ice cream in the world is at the Creamery at Penn State - where, Ben & Jerry, Hagen Das and many other ice cream hall of famers learned their craft. The world's leading (80%) butter cream content!

fatlazyless 06-02-2010 02:20 PM

....one dollar-Wednesdays-Kellerhaus!

Maybe someone already mentioned that Wednesday is one dollar cone day at Kellerhaus, on Route 3 above the Weirs. Pick from about a dozen different ice cream and frozen yogurt flavors and get two scoops with a topping on your choice of a waffle or sandwich style cone for just one dollar plus the dreaded 9% state tax on ice cream for a grand total of $1.09. Enjoy great ice cream while you chill out and check out everything else for sale at Kellerhaus including the Lake Winnipesaukee view!

NHgirl 06-02-2010 03:46 PM

The best ice cream

The best ice cream is the pier or Kellerhaus or Liliuokalani's.....

mets3007 06-03-2010 09:49 AM

What NH Girl said is virtually correct
1. Lili's
2. JB Scoops
3. Kellerhaus ( for the weekend waffle buffet)
4. Sawyers
5. Dairy Queens ( always crowded)

jmen24 06-04-2010 10:40 AM

I am a fan of JB Scoops. Good ice cream and the owners are fantastic to talk to, if you can get them to slow down and stop working for a minute.

Always remember back when it was much smaller than it is today and the clown truck was alway parked round back. Nice folks.

Second place is Dudley's on 106 in Loudon.

Lakesrider 06-05-2010 02:41 PM

When we were in Hawaii Shaved ice was the only thing you could find. It seemed to be a huge thing with the tourists. Anyone around here sell shaved ice? If not somebody should open up a shaved ice shop.... I bet it would do well. It was pretty good in HI.:D

Island Girl 06-05-2010 03:47 PM

Dewey's in Center Harbor

The best in the area so far, and the quantity is exceptional.

Heaven 08-08-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack1706 (Post 128070)
Anyplace that sells ice cream from "The Sandwich Creamery "

.. absolutely the best in the Lakes rRegion.

Oh La La , in Wolfeboro has it. sooooooooooo good & creamy... by far the best!!

Had this last night, the lines at dockside and Bailey's bubble were too long to contemplate so we walked to the end of the Railroad Street block and had Oh La La Sandwich Creamery ice cream, and it was great (and there are tables outside for sitting)

patman 08-08-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady223 (Post 128831)
Not in the Lakes Region, but the absolute best ice cream in the world is at the Creamery at Penn State - where, Ben & Jerry, Hagen Das and many other ice cream hall of famers learned their craft. The world's leading (80%) butter cream content!

Absolutely!

AKADQ 08-09-2010 12:49 PM

Matsumoto N.Shore Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakesrider (Post 129226)
When we were in Hawaii Shaved ice was the only thing you could find. It seemed to be a huge thing with the tourists. Anyone around here sell shaved ice? If not somebody should open up a shaved ice shop.... I bet it would do well. It was pretty good in HI.:D

If your ever outside the Lakes Region and happen to be in Oahu Hawaii this is the place www.matsumotoshaveice.com Matsumoto's is a popular destination on the North Shore and I always get my shave ice with ice cream and beans :liplick:

nj2nh 08-10-2010 07:13 PM

The best ice cream . . .

Shibley's in Alton Bay
Dockside in Wolfeboro
Johnson's in New Durham (except their toppings are woefully inadequate)

Didn't get to the Bubble in Wolfeboro this year and didn't try the new ice cream at Jay's in Alton Bay. My son tells me the frappes at Morrissey's are terrific, but the absolute best frappes are at the Tilt'n Diner in Tilton.

:liplick:

nj2nh

ishoot308 08-10-2010 07:16 PM

Dockside

The Dockside in Wolfeboro has great ice cream, great service and is in a great location. We always make a stop there by boat when family and friends come to the camp. Haven't been disappointed yet!!

Dan

fishdc 08-16-2012 10:08 PM

Ice Cream

Quote:

Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee (Post 128122)
I am certainly no expert in knowing all the good places for ice cream around the Lake but Sawyer's in Gilford is our favorite.

We love Sawyers too! Delicious home made ice cream.

Lakesrider 08-17-2012 07:32 AM

Well, it is strange that my car always seems to have a steering problem when I pass by Morrissey's, Baily's Bubble, Marina 19 store, Pine Cone, Skelly's, Red Hill...The wheel just pulls itself to the right or left depending on where the ice cream stand is....Strange isn't it? Mechanic can't find the problem, but did notice all the napkins under the seats.
I notice the steering problem mostly when I drive from Wolfebor to Meredith....
Costs me a fortune in.......gas......yeah gas.....Oh, and I notice the seat belt gets a bit tighter too........:devil:

Slickcraft 04-03-2015 07:01 PM

Jordan's

Jordan's was open today 4/3/2015, two windows with lines and a full parking lot. Two scoops of black raspberry in a cup. OK the areas where the picnic tables normally are were snowbanks. But the ice cream was delicious, a taste of summer in a cup with the warm south breeze blowing.:)

bruinsfan 04-03-2015 09:53 PM

So many good places in the Lakes Region...

I always wind up at:

1. Red Hill Dairy (seasonal)
https://www.facebook.com/RedHillDari...=page_internal

2. Skelley's Market http://www.skelleysmarket.com/index.htm

exlakesregioner 04-04-2015 06:28 AM

#1 Jordan's

#2 Johnsons Dairy Bar

Janet 04-04-2015 07:59 AM

Dewey's in Center Harbor. Red Hill Dari for soft serve.

Smokienorm 04-04-2015 10:34 AM

Best ice cream, including no sugar added

In our experience, Jordan's in Belmont is very hard to beat.

They make their ice cream on site, unlike some others who have been mentioned on this forum who purchase their ice cream from others.

Jordan's no sugar added moose tracks is something I am addicted to- a quart lasts for about 2 man-sized servings.

They also have excellent frappes, sundaes, etc.

Second choice would be Johnson's in New Durham. Their portions are huge and the ice cream is excellent.

cominghome 04-04-2015 11:09 AM

the best...

Dewey's in Center Harbor

Bumble2249 04-04-2015 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cominghome (Post 242629)
Dewey's in Center Harbor

Deweys is very good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Island Girl 04-07-2015 03:01 PM

Love Deweys

We go by jetski, a nice long ride. they have sugar free as well! While other by the boat places are good, this is the best on the lake.

BroadHopper 04-07-2015 03:12 PM

Jordan's

Best of the Best in NH Magazine, Hippo Magazine and WMUR TV.

Worth the trip to Belmont. Instead of heading home on I-93, the family prefer 106 to stop at Jordan's for a treat.

winnisummergal 04-07-2015 05:42 PM

Bailey's Bubble

Bailey's Bubble in Wolfeboro!

PENIVISA 04-07-2015 08:24 PM

Best By Far

Wherever I am on or around the lake I decide to stop for one:D

fatlazyless 04-08-2015 07:13 AM

... Kellerhaus - dollar Wednesdays!

Wednesday's at Kellerhaus above Weirs Beach on Route 3 is dollar day for ice cream, so's for 1.09 you get a choice of about 12-home made flavors in a waffle, flat bottom, or a cup ..... plus sprinkles. And very surprisingly, Kellerhaus does not scrimp on the ice cream even on dollar day.

The coffee flavor ice cream is like the best coffee ice cream ever made in the world history of ice cream!

Whoever hires the young women that dish out the ice cream definately knows how to make a business happen!

barefootbay 04-08-2015 04:03 PM

I know it's semi lakes region but Lagos Lone Oak in Milton on old rt 16 has the best ever. Many many flavors and huge cones. Very creamy almost custard like. Well worth the drive !
Only a few of the above mentioned locales serve home made ice cream like Lone Oak does.

dpg 04-09-2015 11:20 AM

Actually Skelleys (convenience store) in Moultonborough has good ice cream.

MGWillia 04-09-2015 11:42 AM

Well, I'm sure they are not the best... I'm sure they are not the tastiest.. But it's tradition for me and mine... "A large twist please..." Shibleys Ice Cream shop at Alton Bay. Been eating it since I was a kid... As have my kids and my grands...

camp guy 04-09-2015 06:15 PM

Best ice cream

The 'best ice cream' is the one that is nearest to you when the mood strikes to have an ice cream. I have to be totally honest about my own ice cream habits and say that, to me, after the first couple of bites they all taste the same, quality-wise. Oh sure, if you buy a half-gallon for 79 cents it will certainly taste like 79 cents a half-gallon, but all the major brands, and all the ice cream served at the local ice cream joints, it all tastes basically the same.

I think what makes the difference is the quality service by the window personnel. Some places seem like mass-production ice cream serving machines, and others actually seem glad to see you, treat you well, and make you feel like you want to return.

Just my 79 cents worth!!

fatlazyless 04-10-2015 10:30 AM

....free Ben & Jerry's

Tuesday, April 14, noon to 8-pm; free ice cream cones at the Meredith Ben & Jerry's in the Mill Yard Marketplace which is very close to the big intersection .... which has the longest stop light in the entire state..... light change cycle soooooo loooooong ..... should be easy-peasy .... to exit car for freebie ice cream....all in the same stop light cycle.....and return to car without interrupting traffic..... all good for 90-seconds .....ready-set-Ben & Jerry's!

kauriel 04-12-2015 06:56 PM

I love just about all ice cream but my favorite by far is Kellerhaus. The ice cream itself is delicious and then the topping smorgasbord makes it even better. My favorite at Kellerhaus is their vanilla topped with marshmallow, jimmies and whipped cream.

I haven't yet tried Jordan's but based on reviews I'm planning on checking it out this summer!

Pam 04-13-2015 01:10 PM

Town Docks in Meredith. Yummy flavors, reasonable prices, large servings.