Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Keeping a Car at the Lake (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23584)

Frdxplorer 07-16-2018 08:43 AM

Keeping a Car at the Lake

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but if it has, I was not able to find it by searching the threads.

I am curious how people who live year round somewhere else, and keep a car at the lake for when they fly to the lake handle the logistics. We have never been able to find a convenient logistical solution to wanting to keep at car at the lake, but flying into MHT.

Curious how others hand this. Thanks!

Stilljester 07-16-2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frdxplorer (Post 297941)
I apologize if this has been discussed before, but if it has, I was not able to find it by searching the threads.

I am curious how people who live year round somewhere else, and keep a car at the lake for when they fly to the lake handle the logistics. We have never been able to find a convenient logistical solution to wanting to keep at car at the lake, but flying into MHT.

Curious how others hand this. Thanks!

We use Uber.

jbolty 07-16-2018 05:43 PM

Do you go often enough to justify owning a car there? Enterprise and others will rent a car and pick you up. Or, make a deal to store a car at a business location that would be willing to bring it to you; maybe a car dealer or repair shop.

DesertDweller 07-16-2018 05:57 PM

We keep a car in the garage (my Mom's old Honda Pilot) and use Lakes Region Airport Shuttle to pick us up and drop us off at the airport (usually Logan). Very dependable and the drivers are nice people.

phoenix 07-16-2018 06:50 PM

lakes region shuttle picks us up at beninning of summer and takes us down at end

chachee52 07-17-2018 06:53 AM

My parents rent a car for a day to get to and from the airport in FL to come back here. Us kids pick them up here. Renting a car has been cheaper than using a shuttle/limo.

rsmlp 07-17-2018 10:12 AM

garage

We own a home in FL and my wife comes home monthly to visit her family. We keep a car in a garage in the North End of Boston for the time we are down there. Not cheap but totally worth it.

Flylady 07-17-2018 05:47 PM

When I was working and would come 3-4 times from spring to fall I found renting a car and well in advance was the best option. Solved the airport transportation issue as well. Now living here for 6 moths I had one of my cars shipped here and store it locally in the winter. I use Lyft and Uber to get from the bus station to the auto storage. I now only fly in to BOS much cheaper and faster than MHT.

garysanfran 07-18-2018 02:26 PM

Uber...Lyft ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stilljester (Post 297993)
We use Uber.

Do either of these operate around the Lake yet?

I'd like to start keeping a car at the house. Take the bus from Logan. Get off in Meredith and then I need a way to get to the house...Six months later I'll need to do the reverse...Suggestions?

I've been doing a mini-lease through Avis (pick-up at State St., Boston, not Logan) for about $600/month, which is not as bad as it sounds when you factor in the costs of owning a car. ..Insurance, registration, maintenance, depreciation, etc. However, the cost of renting mounts up over time. And I think the time has come. I may be a good candidate for a long-term lease. My mileage is extremely low.

Frdxplorer 07-21-2018 11:48 AM

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Lots of good ideas. This is why I love this forum.

Stilljester 07-22-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 298197)
Do either of these operate around the Lake yet

I've had good experiences so far in Wolfeboro. If it helps it's about $90 - $140 for the ride to and from MHT.

garysanfran 07-22-2018 04:56 PM

Was it uber...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stilljester (Post 298473)
I've had good experiences so far in Wolfeboro. If it helps it's about $90 - $140 for the ride to and from MHT.

Or lyft? The cost is reasonable if they're reliable enough to catch a flight.

Thank you

Woody38 07-22-2018 06:57 PM

Hire driver

You could use your own car by hiring someone to drive it to the lake. We had a neighbor on Cape Cod who had someone drive their car to Florida and back. They had someone who worked for the dealership where the car was serviced.

---------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic