Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Faro (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25363)

Fiberhen 02-15-2020 09:03 PM

Faro

Does anyone know what’s going into where Faro was/is at the weirs?

macbeth 02-17-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiberhen (Post 326676)
Does anyone know what’s going into where Faro was/is at the weirs?

Rumor has it................................ The people who owned the Water Park across the Street bought it.

Woodsy 02-18-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macbeth (Post 326723)
Rumor has it................................ The people who owned the Water Park across the Street bought it.

aaaaannnndddd.... no beer tent/vendors for Bike Week.

Woodsy

TiltonBB 02-19-2020 06:34 AM

It is sold!

The purchase is complete. It looks like the new owner endorses Bike Week because of the large crowds it brings. He does not want to run the restaurant himself.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...ntent=headline

joey2665 02-19-2020 06:57 AM

Very non committal on future plans but it is great he is continuing to invest in the area and has not ruled out future property acquisitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

tis 02-19-2020 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 326777)
Very non committal on future plans but it is great he is continuing to invest in the area and has not ruled out future property acquisitions.

Is that where the old Howard Johnson's used to be?

upthesaukee 02-19-2020 08:10 AM

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 326780)
Is that where the old Howard Johnson's used to be?

Yes, on the left starting up the hill on rte 3 after the drive in. Used to be the Lobster Pound.

Dave

Major 02-19-2020 11:43 AM

'63 Nova

1 Attachment(s)
That's my dad's '63 Nova (purple), with my dad standing behind the car.

Attachment 15614

garysanfran 02-19-2020 03:04 PM

What happened...

To the large parcel of vacant land up the hill next to Cumberland Farms? The area has a great view. It was cleared a couple of years ago and I was told a convention center/hotel was going in and then...as so often happens...Nothing!

gravy boat 02-21-2020 08:37 AM

What Happened

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 326798)
What happened...to the large parcel of vacant land up the hill next to Cumberland Farms? The area has a great view. It was cleared a couple of years ago and I was told a convention center/hotel was going in and then...as so often happens...Nothing!

I heard that the owner was told by the city he would have to spend a substantial amount to rebuild the road before building a hotel/resort. Not sure if what I heard was accurate but there it is.

Biggd 02-21-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravy boat (Post 326861)
I heard that the owner was told by the city he would have to spend a substantial amount to rebuild the road before building a hotel/resort. Not sure if what I heard was accurate but there it is.

I would imagine that's why development in that area gets stalled.

TiltonBB 02-21-2020 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravy boat (Post 326861)

That is correct. That is why he will sell it if the right person comes along. He also has two lots on Tower Hill adjacent to the property for additional access. Those lots could go with it.

garysanfran 02-21-2020 05:53 PM

Wow...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 326891)
That is correct. That is why he will sell it if the right person comes along. He also has two lots on Tower Hill adjacent to the property for additional access. Those lots could go with it.

Wow!!! So the government can not keep up with the infrastructure to support economic growth. Hmmmm...I wonder what the details are? Need to widen a road? Just repave one? Construct a new one? This deal should be able to be negotiated.

TiltonBB 02-22-2020 08:04 AM

That tie in to improving public property is very common. Often developers are required to put in turning lanes, traffic lights, sidewalks, Etc. on the city's property as a condition of approval for their project.

When I had an investment property built in another city they had a problem with peoples rain gutters that were connected into the city's sewer system, over burdening the system.

A condition of the approval for my project was that I had to go to another property in the city, unrelated to mine, disconnect the connection to the sewer system, and re-plumb the downspouts on someone's private home so that the water ran into the street.

Wifi-1 02-22-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 326901)
That tie in to improving public property is very common. Often developers are required to put in turning lanes, traffic lights, sidewalks, Etc. on the city's property as a condition of approval for their project.

When I had an investment property built in another city they had a problem with peoples rain gutters that were connected into the city's sewer system, over burdening the system.

A condition of the approval for my project was that I had to go to another property in the city, unrelated to mine, disconnect the connection to the sewer system, and re-plumb the downspouts on someone's private home so that the water ran into the street.

Sounds like the definition of bribery to me !?!

garysanfran 02-22-2020 12:22 PM

So in this case...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 326901)

Nothing is the result. No improving public property. No convention center...Nothing continues to be the future.

Scott 02-22-2020 10:09 PM

At an asking price of 3.5 million, he's probably going to be waiting a long time to offload that property.

Wish I had the 525,000 it took to buy that land when it was last on the market.

WinnisquamZ 02-23-2020 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 326919)
At an asking price of 3.5 million, he's probably going to be waiting a long time to offload that property.

Agree. My understanding of the property has always been the asking price of the current owners and little to do with city requirements

Biggd 02-23-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 326919)

I imagine Laconia is hitting him pretty good on the tax bill on that property so the carrying costs are pretty high. 525,000 looks cheap now but it wasn't then. You need deep pockets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

fatlazyless 02-23-2020 08:04 AM

Looking at an old LaDaSun article on this hill top 6.8-acre lot just south and down slope from the Cumberland Gas: On March 3, 2015, the owner of the property announced at a Laconia Planning Board meeting that he will not go forward with his proposed 296-storage units, 17-building storage business because everyone is against it and he did not want it to be his legacy. A storage business was a permitted use at the time, and the zoning law was changed after that close call, so a storage business is no longer permitted.

Just to leave it as an unused, rough stone walled, gated, treeless, green grass, hill side field, totally empty except for the green grass and the exceptional Lake Winnipesaukee and mountains view is the best long term use for this hill top 6.8-acre lot of land.

Wonder if the Laconia property tax is getting paid like a good citizen ..... :patriot: ?

SAMIAM 02-23-2020 08:13 AM

When we renovated the Coe House, the town of Center Harbor could not have been more helpful. They went out of their way to remove obstacles and speed up the process.
Fast forward to Laconia.....had some partners interested in saving the Hathaway House in Laconia. Initial inquiries were very discouraging and the idea was abandoned due to Laconia's reputation for unreasonable demands on building projects.
I'm sure any project in the Weirs will require costly infrastructure improvements

fatlazyless 02-23-2020 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 326929)
..... the town of Center Harbor could not have been more helpful.

If the Town of Center Harbor really wants to be helpful it should install a new 24'-wide x 12'-high, plywood tennis/pickelball hitting backboard to replace the one at the two town tennis courts that was there for 45-years and got destroyed by a windy blizzard, three years ago.

What the heck type of a NH town is that without a 24'w x 12'h plywood, tennis/pickelball hitting backboard ........ egad!

TiltonBB 02-23-2020 08:34 AM

Laconia has a set of requirements that are attached to any approval that seem to get copied and pasted from one project to the next.

It makes no difference if your project is different or the requirements are unnecessary and will only add costs to the person proposing the project. It is like the Laconia policy is: "We are going to do what we do because that is what we have always done". Common sense is left out of the decision and approval process.

They are wasting time making development difficult while ignoring zoning violations in other areas. A case of misplaced priorities that deprives the city of tax revenue and drives up the cost of any project.