Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Noisy Generator! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13268)

pkadventures 11-06-2011 07:54 AM

Noisy Generator!

The good news is that the generator works wonderfully! The bad news is that it is SO loud!! We find it difficult to sleep in the house when it is running and we feel badly about what our neighbors must be hearing.

Any suggestions? We are thinking about building something around the generator with access doors and vents. Thanks!

ishoot308 11-06-2011 08:57 AM

There is one thing you can do that will make a big difference and that is to extend your exhaust and pipe it into a 5 gallon or larger bucket of water. It will make all the difference in the world and won't hurt the performance of the generator.

DO NOT attempt to build a cover for your generator. Most likely your generator is air cooled and needs all the air it can get to stay cool. Any attempt at all to cover it, even if you add vents will not allow it to cool properly and you will burn it up.

Dan

Kamper 11-06-2011 09:08 AM

Extending the exhaust as already suggested, may help. I've done it with mine but I'm not sure yet if it's done more than move the carbon monoxide further from the house. I've heard of the water bucket trick but keep in mind that will add back-pressure to your unit which may, or may not, make a difference in performance. Variations on this include running the exhaust into a 'dry-well' filled with gravel or adding another small muffler at the end of the run.

I also put a piece of plywood about a foot from the genny as a noise-screen. I think this helps deflect a bit of the noise. It might be more effective if I added a piece of foam to the back of it.

Good luck!

Winnisquamguy 11-06-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamper (Post 171510)
I also put a piece of plywood about a foot from the genny as a noise-screen. I think this helps deflect a bit of the noise. It might be more effective if I added a piece of foam to the back of it.

Good luck!

We did the plywood trick all the time at different job sites. It was more of a defection I think, because it was just as loud on the other side. Might not work with the neighbors.

AB_Monterey 11-06-2011 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Replace that cheap little muffler that it came with.

welchislandman 11-07-2011 09:42 AM

With our 6000w gen I noticed my govenor was set to full throttle. with my load, I was able reduce the setback and ensured the voltage was not lower than 230v on the meter. Lowered the noise quite a bit since it wasnt running wide open. I also dont run my gen at night and restart it early am to get the heat/water back running.

RLW 11-07-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB_Monterey (Post 171545)

EEKS, looks to me as if that maybe running in a closed or partially closed area.

TOAD 11-07-2011 02:14 PM

Diesel work every time. :D

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...1034146589.jpg

SIKSUKR 11-07-2011 02:57 PM

Its quiet when its off

With the temps we had in this outage there was no need to run the gen all night long.Get up a little early,start it up and the house is warm in an hour.

chunt 11-07-2011 06:11 PM

Shouldn't change the governor setting. The motor has to run at multiples of 60 to maintain 60HZ power frequency. Small portable generators typically will run at 3600 rpm to maintain the 60hz power frequency.

RLW 11-07-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunt (Post 171576)
Shouldn't change the governor setting. The motor has to run at multiples of 60 to maintain 60HZ power frequency. Small portable generators typically will run at 3600 rpm to maintain the 60hz power frequency.

The above is true, however they are producing new generators that reduce the RPM as the load reduces. Knowing this, how does it perform as stated above?? That is just me asking the question as I do not know..:)

brk-lnt 11-07-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLW (Post 171577)
The above is true, however they are producing new generators that reduce the RPM as the load reduces. Knowing this, how does it perform as stated above?? That is just me asking the question as I do not know..:)

Some of those are inverter generators. They basically make a lower-voltage that is run through a circuit to great 120V/60Hz power. So, the motor speed does not directly effect the power cycle frequency of the power generated.

Blue Thunder 11-07-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB_Monterey (Post 171545)

Wow...that is really taking a chance...hope you have a CO detector or two.

BT

dpg 11-07-2011 09:45 PM

Another way to go a little quiter is spending good money and purchasing a Honda or equivalent. These units are tolerable but will set you back a few thousand dollars.

AB_Monterey 11-07-2011 10:29 PM

Boys,

It wasn't running in that location.

:rolleye1:

Belmont Resident 11-08-2011 04:36 AM

Looks like a garage or shed

Lots of folks run them in a garage with the windows open to vent the fumes and reduce the noise.

RLW 11-08-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 171590)
Lots of folks run them in a garage with the windows open to vent the fumes and reduce the noise.

That to is an extremely dangerous idea. You heard the story on the news last week where a family was over come from a generator exhaust that went into the home through a broken window in the basement. Yep, the generator was outside the house in wide open air space not a location with windows and doors open.:)

Blue Thunder 11-08-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Maybe they do but it is extremely foolish and dangerous to do so.

BT

Rolie 11-08-2011 08:11 AM

Fumes

Quote:

If the garage is attached to the house, they won't do that too many times..maybe even just once!

AB_Monterey 11-08-2011 08:39 AM

That's a detached shed btw.

But with that car muffler on there (got it at the dump), that thing is QUIET.

pkadventures 11-08-2011 12:48 PM

Clarification from OP

Interesting discussion and certainly safety trumps noise in our priorities!

To clarify our generator situation, it is full house disconnect located in the yard outside our house. We live in the house year round but part-time. In our research we found a company (Acoustiblok out of Florida - primarily industrial applications) that sells sound absorbing panels. They sent us a picture of a solid fence with their panels on the inside surrounding the four sides of a residential generator. Something we are considering.

Thanks for the suggestions, of all kinds!

MAXUM 11-08-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB_Monterey (Post 171604)
That's a detached shed btw.

But with that car muffler on there (got it at the dump), that thing is QUIET.

That have a nice pimped out chrome tip on it? :D

SIKSUKR 11-08-2011 03:05 PM

I would have to assume that BR was talking about a detached garage and or shed. Never run one in an attached garage or garage under even with the doors open. If its really stormy out I have enough wire to reach my detached shed(75 ft) away. I just face the exhaust out the door and don't spend any time in there during or after for a few days.

Belmont Resident 11-08-2011 05:20 PM

Yes siksukr I was.

I honestly did believe anyone would think otherwise, but I guess I was wrong.
I know of several people who have their transfer switch located inside their garage or run them inside the garage with extension cords going into the house. This allows the security of having the generator inside instead of outside where it can be stolen as many have been.

MarkinNH 11-08-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 171626)
I honestly did believe anyone would think otherwise, but I guess I was wrong.
I know of several people who have their transfer switch located inside their garage or run them inside the garage with extension cords going into the house. This allows the security of having the generator inside instead of outside where it can be stolen as many have been.

It is a very doable scenario IMO. All a person needs to do is to use some Common Sense. Proper exhaust, proper fresh air ventilation, regular maintenance and inspections to insure the above and did I mention common sense.
I know of several propane fired standby generators that are in enclosed buildings, these generators have been there for Years without any issues.
Unfortunately the most important key ingredient, Common Sense is severely lacking in todays society

brk-lnt 11-09-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkinNH (Post 171628)
I know of several propane fired standby generators that are in enclosed buildings, these generators have been there for Years without any issues.

Propane is way different than petroleum or diesel generators. Those can be safely run in occupied spaces with far less issues. That's why you see forklifts in warehouses running on propane, not diesel...

A gas/diesel genset in an enclosed space operated by a homeowner is a recipe for death, especially if that enclosed space has any ability to exchange air with a living space.

MarkinNH 11-09-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 171645)
A gas/diesel genset in an enclosed space operated by a homeowner is a recipe for death, especially if that enclosed space has any ability to exchange air with a living space.

This is where the use of Common Sense needs to come into play. :)

Kamper 11-09-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 171645)
Propane is way different than petroleum or diesel generators. Those can be safely run in occupied spaces with far less issues. That's why you see forklifts in warehouses running on propane, not diesel...

I always thought those things ran on butane. I'm pretty sure propane does produce carbon-monoxide. There are catalytic heaters that use propane that can be used indoors but motors can be hazardous.

Blue Thunder 11-09-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkinNH (Post 171648)

Common sense is not that common any more.....

RLW 11-09-2011 09:35 AM

I think we are http://i42.tinypic.com/2vwzpsj.gif on this subject, don't you???:)

Belmont Resident 11-09-2011 05:30 PM

Another thought

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkinNH (Post 171648)

You could always hook up an exhaust hose and vent it outside of the detatched holding area. Thats what they do in all automobile repair shops.
I do like the idea of the extended muffler because I'll bet the end never even gets warm so you could use just about any hose to vent the exhaust.