Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cell Phone Coverage Complaints (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24093)

TiltonBB 01-09-2019 08:59 AM

Cell Phone Coverage Complaints

Interesting article in the Laconia Sun. Maybe there will be some improvements.

Cellular telephone service providers such as AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon have online maps showing broad coverage throughout the Lakes Region, but local leaders and residents say the area is actually full of “dead zones,” or areas where they can’t get a cell signal.

The Lakes Region Planning Commission tested cell reception and produced maps showing major coverage deficiencies.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...4862c8fe1.html

TCC 01-09-2019 12:41 PM

Looks like the Lakes Region Planning Commission totally ignored the east end of the lake. :rolleye2:

joey2665 01-09-2019 12:46 PM

I have AT & T and there is a load of dead zones around the Lakes Region. The only reason I have good coverage at my home is that there is an AT & T cell tower in my HOA.

thinkxingu 01-09-2019 02:22 PM

Good for this group--I've long thought coverage maps took major liberties.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

gokart-mozart 01-09-2019 02:30 PM

Coverage

I drive to and from Concord every day.

Coverage on 28 from Weston Auto Body to Chichester is excellent. When leaves are on the trees, there is a dead spot right down the hill from Weston Auto Body, otherwise no gaps.

No other provider, including AT&T, has that whole road covered.

The back way through Gilmanton IW is terrible, Verizon phones display "extended" with several bars but no data and no messages/texts are available. I presume this is the territory of one of the local companies.

I understand T-Mobile is not bad in Downtown Wolfe City, but it's absent for 25 miles along Route 28.

From Belmont to the Iron Works, Verizon is spotty, on/off. I don't know about AT&T.

109 Wolfeboro to Moultonborough, and then down 25 to Meredith, Verizon is excellent.

Sue Doe-Nym 01-09-2019 03:43 PM

There is a noticeable dead spot on 109 between Black's Landing and Suissevale Avenue.

thinkxingu 01-09-2019 04:19 PM

Moultonborough Neck, especially off Shaker Jerry, seemed to be much less reliable last summer.

anticd70 01-11-2019 08:09 PM

I have Verizon and I've never had any issues on the lake or at houses Ive stayed at on the water in Meredith & Moultoborough. However when I visited Sandwich I had no cell phone service at all. I hope the service gets better in Sandwich before I make the move up there from NJ.

joey2665 01-12-2019 08:56 AM

AT & T is also very spotty in the Sandwich area. Also In Gilford especially near Ellacoya Barn

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Lake Fan 01-14-2019 07:51 PM

I'm old enough to remember when people were complaining about cell towers going up around the lake. Now they're complaining there aren't enough. ;)

jeffk 01-15-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Fan (Post 306387)
I'm old enough to remember when people were complaining about cell towers going up around the lake. Now they're complaining there aren't enough. ;)

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. There would need to be a bunch of "ugly" towers in lots of geographical nooks and crannies to get complete coverage. Also, add in the cost of building and maintaining the towers to service a few people who are in a signal shadow. If the the cell companies come to you and want to place a tower in your backyard so your neighbor gets full service, will that be OK? Personally, I am more concerned about cost than sight issues but I wouldn't want to be looking out my window every morning and staring at a cell tower either.

joey2665 01-15-2019 06:18 AM

Cell Phone Coverage Complaints

Each cell provider pays approximately 3000.00 per month rent per cell tower. Some towers, water towers such as the one in Meredith Bay and taller buildings that are used as cell towers are used by multiple carriers however the cost is still the same. Its a good way for eligible building owners to offset fixed costs.

thinkxingu 01-15-2019 06:51 AM

Let's get one on Red Hill fire tower!

joey2665 01-15-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 306393)
Let's get one on Red Hill fire tower!

Sometimes you need to be proactive with the carriers. Fire Department should reach out to them and nice income for them.

radar4401 01-15-2019 09:39 AM

Coverage

I live just off of west side of Lake Wentworth. I moved here 15 years ago and had AT&T. I didn't have any coverage at my house then and still don't. 15 years ago you couldn't get cell cell signal in downtown Wolfeboro. Thankfully, things are much better now.

TheTimeTraveler 01-15-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 306389)
Each cell provider pays approximately 3000.00 per month rent per cell tower. Some towers, water towers such as the one in Meredith Bay and taller buildings that are used as cell towers are used by multiple carriers however the cost is still the same. Its a good way for eligible building owners to offset fixed costs.

Cell towers are in the position to become obsolete in the future as there is talk of replacing them with satellite reception. Not sure of what the time frame is but it will be coming......

joey2665 01-15-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 306439)
Cell towers are in the position to become obsolete in the future as there is talk of replacing them with satellite reception. Not sure of what the time frame is but it will be coming......

Yes that is the future long term but we are years away and it doesn’t solve the immediate issue around the lake now so why not capitalize on it if you can and reduce the dead spots