Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Speed Limits (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   From today’s Laconia Daily Sun (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23518)

Seaplane Pilot 07-06-2018 05:34 AM

From today’s Laconia Daily Sun
 
https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...c585b3b85.html

Capt. Tim Dunleavy, of the New Hampshire Marine Patrol, said his officers write five to 10 boat speeding tickets a year, with most coming after sunset, when the lower limit applies.

He said the speed limit law doesn’t seem to have affected accident numbers.

“Historically, we have had few speed-related accidents,” Dunleavy said. “The fact that accident numbers haven’t changed is no surprise.“ :rolleye1:

Major 07-06-2018 12:17 PM

Speed Limit
 
Anyone who has boated on the lake for some time knows that the implementation of a speed limit would have absolutely no effect on accidents. The law was implemented by people who had no skin in the game. The daytime speed limit should be repealed.

Turtle Boy 07-06-2018 05:21 PM

Lots of pro speed limit people on the lake had "skin in the game", myself included. Contrary to what some of the SL opponents have parroted, safety was only one of many reasons for WinnFABS to push for a SL. And from where we live the difference after the speed limit was like night and day. Considerably fewer boats, many trailered here, screaming past you at 70+MPH only 150' away. It was unpleasant and the reputation of the lake suffered (a Boston newspaper had a scathing review of what the lake had become). Just like no one wants to picnic on the median strip of I-93, so too people felt that the lake was far less enjoyable because of a minority of boats that had a disproportionate presence on the lake. Furthermore, by large margin, polls showed that the people of NH as well as people locally favored speed limits as did the majority of our local state legislators in the Lake's Region. Sign ins at the State House hearings were similarly pro SL by a large margin. And contrary to what the go fast be loud crowd theorized, the economy of the Lake's Region did not go down the toilet.
Having been on the lake all my life it is a pleasure to see how people got together to make the lake a more pleasurable destination. These same people would/will go to all lengths to defend the speed limit which in my opinion saved the lake. And no, having been here all my life I'm not moving to "Golden Pond" so save your breath. For the last 8 years families have reclaimed the lake and I'm pleased with the outcome.

Seaplane Pilot 07-06-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle Boy (Post 297277)
Lots of pro speed limit people on the lake had "skin in the game", myself included. Contrary to what some of the SL opponents have parroted, safety was only one of many reasons for WinnFABS to push for a SL. And from where we live the difference after the speed limit was like night and day. Considerably fewer boats, many trailered here, screaming past you at 70+MPH only 150' away. It was unpleasant and the reputation of the lake suffered (a Boston newspaper had a scathing review of what the lake had become). Just like no one wants to picnic on the median strip of I-93, so too people felt that the lake was far less enjoyable because of a minority of boats that had a disproportionate presence on the lake. Furthermore, by large margin, polls showed that the people of NH as well as people locally favored speed limits as did the majority of our local state legislators in the Lake's Region. Sign ins at the State House hearings were similarly pro SL by a large margin. And contrary to what the go fast be loud crowd theorized, the economy of the Lake's Region did not go down the toilet.
Having been on the lake all my life it is a pleasure to see how people got together to make the lake a more pleasurable destination. These same people would/will go to all lengths to defend the speed limit which in my opinion saved the lake. And no, having been here all my life I'm not moving to "Golden Pond" so save your breath. For the last 8 years families have reclaimed the lake and I'm pleased with the outcome.

:yawn::yawn::yawn: (that’s the yawn symbol in case anyone is wondering) :yawn: And by the way, who gives a rat’s ass what any Boston newspaper has to say about the lake. Why don’t they write about Boston Harbor madness on a summer weekend?

fatlazyless 07-08-2018 06:33 AM

..... Winni 45-30 ..... ten years after?
 
To be accurate with regard to the year when the Winni 45-30 boat speed limits started, it became law soon after July 4, 2008, when Gov John Lynch signed the law, so it's been ten years time.

It was originally a two year law, put into use on a trial basis in July 2008, that was made permanent by the legislature in 2010.

The fatal Diamond Island Sunday morning 2-am, June 15, 2008, boat collision with the rocky island outcropping may have played a part in the governor's decision to sign the bill, about two weeks after this extremely unfortunate and widely publicized incident?
........

Ten years later, it seems like it turned the tide for Lake Winnipesaukee to lose its appeal as the go-to lake for the thundering, super powered, go-fast, be-loud, need for speed, hyper racers.

The Winni 45-30 speed limits law has a provision for running a race event with racing speeds faster than the 45-mph.

And besides, going 45-mph in a boat is not a slow speed at all, 45 is actually a very high speed for a boat on a lake that gets used like this one.

Major 07-09-2018 02:27 PM

Couldn't Disagree More
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle Boy (Post 297277)
Lots of pro speed limit people on the lake had "skin in the game", myself included. Contrary to what some of the SL opponents have parroted, safety was only one of many reasons for WinnFABS to push for a SL. And from where we live the difference after the speed limit was like night and day. Considerably fewer boats, many trailered here, screaming past you at 70+MPH only 150' away. It was unpleasant and the reputation of the lake suffered (a Boston newspaper had a scathing review of what the lake had become). Just like no one wants to picnic on the median strip of I-93, so too people felt that the lake was far less enjoyable because of a minority of boats that had a disproportionate presence on the lake. Furthermore, by large margin, polls showed that the people of NH as well as people locally favored speed limits as did the majority of our local state legislators in the Lake's Region. Sign ins at the State House hearings were similarly pro SL by a large margin. And contrary to what the go fast be loud crowd theorized, the economy of the Lake's Region did not go down the toilet.
Having been on the lake all my life it is a pleasure to see how people got together to make the lake a more pleasurable destination. These same people would/will go to all lengths to defend the speed limit which in my opinion saved the lake. And no, having been here all my life I'm not moving to "Golden Pond" so save your breath. For the last 8 years families have reclaimed the lake and I'm pleased with the outcome.

There are as many "go fast be loud" boats on the lake as there has ever been. And believe it or not, they go over 45 mph, but are more discrete about it. I disagree with the notion that the recession/depression of 2009-2016 did not impact the number of boats on the lake. It did. Look at the lake this past week! I've NEVER seen it so crowded, now that we have a robust economy.

Also, I disagree that safety wasn't the overriding concern for the new law. Go back and read the articles - it was ALL about safety. And guess what, having a speed limit has not contributed to improved safety one iota. The out-of-stater legislators in Concord (transplants from other states) capitalized on a tragedy, and now we are stuck with this foolish law. This is yet another example of value systems from other states creeping into NH's Live Free or Die value system, and it sucks.

And by the way, I've been boating on the lake for over 40 years. My dad owned a boat that did 90, and my family I enjoyed every second of it. He was responsible, like most people with fast boats, and the pinky's up crowd had to take it away be cause it was too fast and too loud. Whaaaa!

Turtle Boy 07-09-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 297474)
There are as many "go fast be loud" boats on the lake as there has ever been. And believe it or not, they go over 45 mph, but are more discrete about it. I disagree with the notion that the recession/depression of 2009-2016 did not impact the number of boats on the lake. It did. Look at the lake this past week! I've NEVER seen it so crowded, now that we have a robust economy.

Also, I disagree that safety wasn't the overriding concern for the new law. Go back and read the articles - it was ALL about safety. And guess what, having a speed limit has not contributed to improved safety one iota. The out-of-stater legislators in Concord (transplants from other states) capitalized on a tragedy, and now we are stuck with this foolish law. This is yet another example of value systems from other states creeping into NH's Live Free or Die value system, and it sucks.

And by the way, I've been boating on the lake for over 40 years. My dad owned a boat that did 90, and my family I enjoyed every second of it. He was responsible, like most people with fast boats, and the pinky's up crowd had to take it away be cause it was too fast and too loud. Whaaaa!

Good point...I too have never seen the lake so crowded, one more reason that our present speed limit makes such good sense. But safety was only one facet of why the SL drew such support from such a large proportion of the citizens of NH who own the lake. And the WinnFabs site listed them all. It truly was unpleasant as per my I-93 median strip analogy. And this is why so many other lakes (Lake George for example) have speed limits.
As far as speeders being "more discreet" that must indeed be true because where we live the difference from before is phenomenal. If the SL made these boaters "more discrete" than that's just one more reason to applaud the 45/25 SL. And speaking of 45/25, if our present law were ever challenged in Concord I would urge WinnFABS to respond in kind with a bill to amend the SL to that of Squam, 40/20. As noted the lake is getting more and more crowded as are many other lakes all over the state. NH needs a state wide SL. And by the way, please review the Lake's Region Legislators who were NH natives who supported the law. There were plenty of them.

ishoot308 07-09-2018 06:46 PM

Yo Turtle....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle Boy (Post 297489)
Good point...I too have never seen the lake so crowded, one more reason that our present speed limit makes such good sense. But safety was only one facet of why the SL drew such support from such a large proportion of the citizens of NH who own the lake. And the WinnFabs site listed them all. It truly was unpleasant as per my I-93 median strip analogy. And this is why so many other lakes (Lake George for example) have speed limits.
As far as speeders being "more discreet" that must indeed be true because where we live the difference from before is phenomenal. If the SL made these boaters "more discrete" than that's just one more reason to applaud the 45/25 SL. And speaking of 45/25, if our present law were ever challenged in Concord I would urge WinnFABS to respond in kind with a bill to amend the SL to that of Squam, 40/20. As noted the lake is getting more and more crowded as are many other lakes all over the state. NH needs a state wide SL. And by the way, please review the Lake's Region Legislators who were NH natives who supported the law. There were plenty of them.

Just an FYI....the current speed limit is 45/30 not 45/25...

Just wanted to clarify.

Dan

Seaplane Pilot 07-09-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 297499)
Just an FYI....the current speed limit is 45/30 not 45/25...

Just wanted to clarify.

Dan

Turtle Boy has been hiding in his turtle shell since his last post 2010! Post # 346 in the thread below was his last post. No wonder he can't get his facts straight.... Rip van “Turtle Boy” Winkle!

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=10601

Turtle Boy 07-09-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 297502)
Turtle Boy has been hiding in his turtle shell since his last post 2010! Post # 346 in the thread below was his last post. No wonder he can't get his facts straight.... Rip van “Turtle Boy” Winkle!

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=10601

And clearly it was time for him to come out of hibernation given what would seem to be a few rather misleading interpretations of the facts since the implementation of a SL 8 years ago. Give it up! The SL is here to stay.

BroadHopper 07-10-2018 08:55 AM

Social media
 
Should be a game changer in this battle, SBONH is still alive and well while WINNFAB is dead!

Already SBONH has over 5,000 likes with IBOW having 6,000 and counting for a repeal.

I do not have a TWITTER account but was told there was about equal amount of tweets to repeal.

Guess the cons outweigh the pros at the moment.

STAY TUNED!

Woodsy 07-10-2018 09:02 AM

I seriously doubt we will see a a full repeal of the speed limit.... but there is certainly a strong enough argument to revise the daytime limit up to 60-65MPH just like on the highways. I think the Gov & the Senate would not be the issue... getting it thru the House might be a little tougher, but then again, had people been willing to compromise the first go around... we would already have a 65MPH daytime limit.

The nightime limit of 30MPH seems to be just fine....

Woodsy

Turtle Boy 07-10-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 297536)
Should be a game changer in this battle, SBONH is still alive and well while WINNFAB is dead!

Already SBONH has over 5,000 likes with IBOW having 6,000 and counting for a repeal.

I do not have a TWITTER account but was told there was about equal amount of tweets to repeal.

Guess the cons outweigh the pros at the moment.

STAY TUNED!

Wrong...WinnFABS is very much alive and as said I would like to see 40/20.

Seaplane Pilot 07-10-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle Boy (Post 297538)
Wrong...WinnFABS is very much alive and as said I would like to see 40/20.

WinnFabs might be alive, but it's on life support with a "DO NOT RESUSCITATE" order!

BroadHopper 07-10-2018 10:59 AM

Twitter account
 
The IBOLW account on Twitter is 16,000 strong!

Going to be a good ride!

KDL 07-10-2018 07:28 PM

I'd like to see 55/35.

winni83 07-14-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle Boy (Post 297538)
Wrong...WinnFABS is very much alive and as said I would like to see 40/20.

Then WinnFABS must be a zombie outfit since it was dissolved by the State of New Hampshire on 1/1/16 for failing to file the reports as required by law. An appropriate end. The name seems to be available for use by, say, an organization with a different view of things such as speed limits. :)

Turtle Boy 07-15-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winni83 (Post 297871)
Then WinnFABS must be a zombie outfit since it was dissolved by the State of New Hampshire on 1/1/16 for failing to file the reports as required by law. An appropriate end. The name seems to be available for use by, say, an organization with a different view of things such as speed limits. :)

How odd. And to think I've corresponded with several members in the last week. Perhaps they are zombies too. Spooky.

winni83 07-16-2018 02:29 PM

Corresponding with members of an organization that no longer exists? Interesting, but to each his own. Say hello to Elchase, Bearislandmoose, Sunset on the Dock, APS (formerly known as Acres Per Second) and your other fellow travelers.

codeman671 07-17-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle Boy (Post 297489)
Good point...I too have never seen the lake so crowded, one more reason that our present speed limit makes such good sense. But safety was only one facet of why the SL drew such support from such a large proportion of the citizens of NH who own the lake. And the WinnFabs site listed them all. It truly was unpleasant as per my I-93 median strip analogy. And this is why so many other lakes (Lake George for example) have speed limits.
As far as speeders being "more discreet" that must indeed be true because where we live the difference from before is phenomenal. If the SL made these boaters "more discrete" than that's just one more reason to applaud the 45/25 SL. And speaking of 45/25, if our present law were ever challenged in Concord I would urge WinnFABS to respond in kind with a bill to amend the SL to that of Squam, 40/20. As noted the lake is getting more and more crowded as are many other lakes all over the state. NH needs a state wide SL. And by the way, please review the Lake's Region Legislators who were NH natives who supported the law. There were plenty of them.

Although Lake George has a speed limit I believe it also does not have a 150' safe passage law. Would you prefer boats opening up in the broads at safe distances or doing 45mph only 20 feet from you? Choose wisely, I would have to bet more accidents would come from lack of safe passage than speed.

ApS 07-18-2018 08:38 AM

You Called for 65-MPH?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by winni83 (Post 297976)
Corresponding with members of an organization that no longer exists? Interesting, but to each his own. Say hello to Elchase, Bearislandmoose, Sunset on the Dock, APS (formerly known as Acres Per Second) and your other fellow travelers.

You mention my old moniker, after Friday's recovery of this "Ocean-Racer-Eraser" from Lake Winnipesaukee's waters? :rolleye2:

winni83 07-18-2018 10:11 AM

Sorry, that is incorrect. It is a sailboat eraser.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.