Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Weirs Beach Bridge - Soon to be closed? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23978)

Woodsy 11-08-2018 06:46 PM

Weirs Beach Bridge - Soon to be closed?

Check out this article... https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...b9af4341e.html

Woodsy

joey2665 11-08-2018 10:19 PM

Not a very detailed article. When in 2020 will it be shut down, what is the estimated closure period and why is the detour 18 miles. Especially when there are several routes to either get to Laconia Road or to 11a towards Gilford that are much less than 18 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

jeffk 11-09-2018 05:28 AM

Also important to ask, will it affect boat traffic under the bridge? It would be kinda hard to reroute THAT. Or, are they going to isolate Paugus bay for a month? The structure is not going to need a lot of work, just the deck, but falling debris might be an issue.

Reilly 11-09-2018 05:29 AM

detour example

I live 1 mile from the bridge in Gilford , to go to Faros would be more than 18 miles i would guess & prob 30 mins in traffic , but it needs to b done so oh well

joey2665 11-09-2018 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk (Post 304300)
Also important to ask, will it affect boat traffic under the bridge? It would be kinda hard to reroute THAT. Or, are they going to isolate Paugus bay for a month? The structure is not going to need a lot of work, just the deck, but falling debris might be an issue.

Usually put protective netting for falling debris but that is a great question. Certainly would severely impact business in season on Paugus.

The Real BigGuy 11-09-2018 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 304298)
Not a very detailed article. When in 2020 will it be shut down, what is the estimated closure period and why is the detour 18 miles. Especially when there are several routes to either get to Laconia Road or to 11a towards Gilford that are much less than 18 miles.

The article clearly says closure in May and a planned 30 day period so it will be open for motorcycle week. 18 miles assumes starting at one side of the bridge and ending at the other.

joey2665 11-09-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 304304)
The article clearly says closure in May and a planned 30 day period so it will be open for motorcycle week. 18 miles assumes starting at one side of the bridge and ending at the other.

What route are you taking that is 18 miles? Roller Coaster to Parade to Elm to Union to Laconia Road isn’t 18 miles. Also the link when you use your phone doesn’t download the complete article to I did not see the 30 days.

upthesaukee 11-09-2018 08:00 AM

One side of bridge to the other

Quote:

The article says the work is scheduled to take place in 2020, work starting in May or April, depending on closing totally for about 30 days, or doing one lane at a time, taking considerably longer.

The 18 mile detour is from one side of channel to the other: rte 3 to Rollercoaster Rd to rte 106 to Elm st to rte 3.

Considering it is a year and a half away, there was a good amount of detail, IMHO.

Dave

joey2665 11-09-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 304313)
The article says the work is scheduled to take place in 2020, work starting in May or April, depending on closing totally for about 30 days, or doing one lane at a time, taking considerably longer.

The 18 mile detour is fringe one side of channel to the other: rte 3 to Rollercoaster Rd to rte 106 to Elm st to rte 3.

Considering it is a year and a half away, there was a good amount of detail, IMHO.

Dave

Again I am sorry when you download the article on the phone it is not complete so I missed that part it was covered with advertisements.

Patofnaud 11-09-2018 09:30 AM

Not the arch bridge over the channel being effected according to someone who posted a comment to the article.

"What was reported completely wrong is the bridge being considered for repairs, it's location, and effects on drivers. The railroad bridge close to the Weirs Beach landmark sign and adjacent to Channel Lane is the correct bridge, and would have zero affect on boat traffic during construction. "

So it looks like it's not going to affect boat traffic as it is the bridge over the railroad tracks, not the channel.

jbolty 11-09-2018 09:58 AM

Seems smarter to start work in the fall so if the time runs over it's not crashing into the summer season.

kjkam 11-09-2018 04:48 PM

bridge

Article says the bridge just north of the Wiers channel and mentions protection for the rail road, so assumption is that they will be repairing the bridge next to thurston's driveway that crosses the track.

TiltonBB 11-10-2018 06:07 AM

Laconia Sun Mistake

The Laconia Sun admitted that they identified the wrong bridge in the story.

Same detour, wrong bridge | Local News | laconiadailysun.com

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...2e2ef5583.html

joey2665 11-10-2018 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 304340)

Thanks Tilton!!! I just don’t understand why they are doing this in the spring before bike week. I would think November would be a better choice and be less inconvenient to workers and residents the area and before the bad weather sets in.

Pontoon Goon 11-10-2018 07:35 AM

Now it makes sense

So it's the train that has to detour 18 miles, I get it now.:)

Top-Water 11-10-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 304340)

Thank you for the corrected article ............ :):)

Fake News

joey2665 11-10-2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon (Post 304345)
So it's the train that has to detour 18 miles, I get it now.:)

No. There is no detour available for the train. Route 3 will be closed and you will not be able to get to the traffic circle from the north side of the circle and you cannot access the Weirs from the south side. I assume it will be similar to when they close the road in the same area to cars and trucks during bike week.

joey2665 11-10-2018 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 14325

Circle is the bridge that will be closed over the rail road tracks near Thurstons

Outdoorsman 11-10-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

So it's the train that has to detour 18 miles, I get it now.
Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 304347)
No. There is no detour available for the train. Route 3 will be closed and you will not be able to get to the traffic circle from the north side of the circle and you cannot access the Weirs from the south side. I assume it will be similar to when they close the road in the same area to cars and trucks during bike week.

sar·casm
/ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

joey2665 11-10-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 304353)
sar·casm

/ˈsärˌkazəm/

noun

noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Yes I know what sarcasm is. Don’t need a definition. There was nothing in the post to indicate it was sarcastic.

Overlake97 11-10-2018 12:00 PM

I measured 12.5 miles by car

Starting at the traffic circle in Weirs beach, I measured the mileage down to Fratellos, then out to and up Parade Road (via Elm Street), then taking Roller Coaster Road to Rt 3, and then down to the Weirs beach sign. Twelve and a half miles (12.5), according to Google maps. :)

Rusty 11-10-2018 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlake97 (Post 304358)
Starting at the traffic circle in Weirs beach, I measured the mileage down to Fratellos, then out to and up Parade Road (via Elm Street), then taking Roller Coaster Road to Rt 3, and then down to the Weirs beach sign. Twelve and a half miles (12.5), according to Google maps. :)

I got 12.15 which is close to what you got.

This is the map:

Redbarn 11-10-2018 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Seems there is a pretty simple solution. Send traffic down the beach parking lot, and build a temporary track crossing and curb cut just south of the New transformer pad. The grade change is not bad and it would not expensive to create and then replace after the bride is complete. Only 18 wheelers would need to find another way. This would also not require any private land or permissions since is all government owned land. The route is marked in red, the area requiring the temporary crossing road is in yellow.

TheTimeTraveler 11-10-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbarn (Post 304365)
Seems there is a pretty simple solution. Send traffic down the beach parking lot, and build a temporary track crossing and curb cut just south of the New transformer pad. The grade change is not bad and it would not expensive to create and then replace after the bride is complete. Only 18 wheelers would need to find another way. This would also not require any private land or permissions since is all government owned land. The route is marked in red, the area requiring the temporary crossing road is in yellow.

A good idea however the state owns the Railroad right of way and likely will not allow any more grade crossings (temporary or otherwise).

Bizer 11-10-2018 07:18 PM

Quote:

... and why is the detour 18 miles. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reilly (Post 304301)
I live 1 mile from the bridge in Gilford , to go to Faros would be more than 18 miles ,,,

It's far less. From Thurston's Marina to Roller Coaster Road to the Lakeport Dam and then to the traffic circle just across from Thurston's is 13 miles.

From Meredith directly to Sawyers (Routes 11 & 11B) is 8 1/2 miles today. If you go via the Lakeport Dam on Elm Street, if only adds 4 1/2 miles to the trip. The traffic, however, would be a bear.

Redbarn 11-10-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 304369)
A good idea however the state owns the Railroad right of way and likely will not allow any more grade crossings (temporary or otherwise).

The work being performed on the bridge is for NH dot, the bridge services NH dot dept of rails. They can make this happen I know for a fact. There has to be another factor i am not seeing to make my plan for not work. The dot rails guys are pretty smart and crafty.

upthesaukee 11-10-2018 11:39 PM

Actually there was...

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 304355)
Yes I know what sarcasm is. Don’t need a definition. There was nothing in the post to indicate it was sarcastic.

Actually there was... at the end of the sentence was a good ol' smiley... like this :)

Dave

joey2665 11-11-2018 05:36 AM

Missed it. One thing about the app on the phone is you can’t see everything like the emojis.

upthesaukee 11-11-2018 07:22 AM

I know what you mean

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 304378)
Missed it. One thing about the app on the phone is you can’t see everything like the emojis.

I know what you mean. Depending on the emoji, it will show, or not. Also, with the phone app, you can't see the title of the post, so if someone puts pertinent info in the title, but not in the body of the post, you can't see that info.

Seldom do I get on my desktop to view the forum. Normally on my tablet. I used the Winni App for quite a while, but felt I was missing some stuff, so now I view the whole site on my Samsung tablet, using the app on my cell phone when I have to. So I have felt your pain. (Insert an emoji 'wink' here, Joey! )

Now back to the novel "A Bridge Too Far".

Dave

Cobalt 25 11-11-2018 09:16 AM

It's the MOUNT that will have an 18 mile detour as she makes her way to the Burger King at the end of Paugus. Route details to follow...

TiltonBB 11-11-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 (Post 304384)
It's the MOUNT that will have an 18 mile detour as she makes her way to the Burger King at the end of Paugus. Route details to follow...

The Burger King with the too small docks that closed 20 years ago?

Top-Water 11-11-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 304385)
The Burger King

https://i.imgur.com/SdvWIV0.jpg

1976 photo.

Rail Road tracks and Locomotive In Background

-------------------------------------------------------------------
With all this confusion about the bridge closing and knowledgeable folks on the forum here. Just asking, how far south can the train from the weirs go at the present time. Are there any major obstacles preventing it from getting to Concord.

Outdoorsman 11-11-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 (Post 304384)

This ship will still be able to pass through the Weirs channel on her way to Burger King, as stated above it is NOT the Weirs Channel bridge that is being shut down, it is the RR bridge.

Rusty 11-11-2018 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 304393)
This ship will still be able to pass through the Weirs channel on her way to Burger King, as stated above it is NOT the Weirs Channel bridge that is being shut down, it is the RR bridge.

Here is proof that the mount can go under the Weirs Channel Bridge:

TiltonBB 11-11-2018 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 304395)
Is that Barbie on the third deck ? :laugh:

You are correct! 6th woman in from the right! :)

tis 11-12-2018 05:46 AM

I really miss seeing that in the water!!

BroadHopper 11-12-2018 07:40 AM

Hilliard Road

Great opportunity to reopen Hilliard Road!
From Parade Road by the landscaping business to the present Hilliard Road near the Weirs on Rte 3.
Shouldn't be that tough to reopen, although South Down / Long Bay may object as it is in their backyard. :rolleye2:

kjkam 11-12-2018 11:25 AM

bridge detour

Never see hilliard road opened, way too much work.

There would be an option to easily detour around the bridge, but you would either need to get Thurston's and the Drive in on board, or Winni Marine and the Campground...

Phantom 11-12-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reilly (Post 304301)
I live 1 mile from the bridge in Gilford , to go to Faros would be more than 18 miles i would guess & prob 30 mins in traffic , but it needs to b done so oh well

Reilly --- we're all set, I like you am on the Gilford side -- this will now give us 4 weeks of a better chance of Bar seats on a Friday night at Faro's in April/ May -- just when it starts getting busy again. :D :D :laugh: :laugh:

Patofnaud 11-12-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjkam (Post 304424)
Never see hilliard road opened, way too much work.

There would be an option to easily detour around the bridge, but you would either need to get Thurston's and the Drive in on board, or Winni Marine and the Campground...

My guess is that is the emergency bypass they cited. Not really worth it to build either route up for 2 way traffic.

Reilly 11-13-2018 05:32 AM

Faros

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 304438)
Reilly --- we're all set, I like you am on the Gilford side -- this will now give us 4 weeks of a better chance of Bar seats on a Friday night at Faro's in April/ May -- just when it starts getting busy again. :D :D :laugh: :laugh:

I will get there no prob ,but will have to add $20 on the nite for UBER home :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Trail Goer 11-21-2018 02:12 PM

Here's some details
https://www.nh.gov/dot/projects/laco...t_06242015.pdf

Trail Goer 11-21-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 304369)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbarn (Post 304374)
The work being performed on the bridge is for NH dot, the bridge services NH dot dept of rails. They can make this happen I know for a fact. There has to be another factor i am not seeing to make my plan for not work. The dot rails guys are pretty smart and crafty.

I think its more to do with money than anything else. The state would need the funds to construct a temporary road and the funds to restore track and parking lot on top of the money needed to repair the bridge. Its cheaper to just make people detour around.

Top-Water 01-19-2019 07:09 PM

Just info found on the web from uncle google :liplick: Not sure what is accurate here.

https://www.nh.gov/dot/projects/laco...v_08132015.pdf

Phantom 08-15-2019 12:30 PM

So ---- What ever happened to this project ?

Weekend Pundit 08-15-2019 06:09 PM

Bridge Project

As best I know it's still on for next year - 2020.

Tank151 08-19-2019 08:27 AM

If this project is still in the works, the way projects get completed in Laconia, it will go longer than 120 days! And, they'll shut it down during bike week or height of the summer vacation season.