Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Good Chinese Food (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13950)

fishdc 04-30-2012 04:33 AM

Good Chinese Food

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has any recent reviews on a good place in the lakes region area for Chinese food. Thanks!

Belmont Resident 04-30-2012 04:59 AM

I hear

I hear good reports about the one down by Shooters in Belmont. Also the one in the Walmart plaza over in Gilford.
I've not been to either as my wife does not like Chinese so I just stop into ShangHi to fill my needs once in a while for a quick lunch. The food is ok for buffet but I wouldn't recommend them as a quality place.

AussieDog 04-30-2012 06:06 AM

Chinese Food

The one near Shooters is China Garden which is very good.

One of my favorites is The Green Ginger next to Shaws in Tilton. Never had a bad meal there and the prices are reasonable. We usually can get out of there for less than $35. That includes appetizer, entrees and drinks.

Whimsey 04-30-2012 10:58 AM

The China Garden is good, but is what I call "Old Fashioned" Chinese that I got in my youth. Strictly Cantonese style, so no spicy dishes.

I prefer Taipei Osaka in the Wal Mart plaza in Gilford.

surfnsnow 04-30-2012 11:25 AM

a little bit off the beaten path but fugaki in plymouth is very good

BroadHopper 04-30-2012 02:30 PM

Taipei Osaka in the Wal Mart plaza in Gilford

has upscale chinese food as well as sushi. Highly reccomended.

For japanese steakhouse, ICHABON on Manchester St. in Concord, NH, just pass the Red Blazer.

AKADQ 04-30-2012 03:49 PM

China Garden !!!!!!

You can't go wrong with China Garden. I take the family their all the time because they are consistent and the food is great. We would be up to trying a new Chinese restaurant but are afraid of being disappointed. I would agree with the previous poster, that there are no spicy dishes and that this place is old style. Definitely worth trying !! :liplick:

Mr. V 05-03-2012 08:21 PM

I've enjoyed the Chinese food at JP China in Alton Bay.

Happy Gourmand 05-07-2012 12:37 PM

China Garden

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKADQ (Post 181003)
You can't go wrong with China Garden. I take the family their all the time because they are consistent and the food is great. We would be up to trying a new Chinese restaurant but are afraid of being disappointed. I would agree with the previous poster, that there are no spicy dishes and that this place is old style. Definitely worth trying !! :liplick:

Stopped there a couple years ago for lunch. If I recall, they did not have a lunch menu available. Is that still the case?

barefootbay 05-07-2012 07:09 PM

West Lake in Wolfeboro is the best.

Winnisquamguy 05-08-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand (Post 181450)
Stopped there a couple years ago for lunch. If I recall, they did not have a lunch menu available. Is that still the case?

Yes they have lunch specials, as well as a few a, b, c, d, etc plates..I think with this place the food needs to be eaten there, as it is much better.That said we have received takeout from them a few times and its just not as good, and we only live maybe 10 minutes away.

mcdude 05-08-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootbay (Post 181471)
West Lake in Wolfeboro is the best.

http://www.westlakenh.com/

the SEABIRD is your only other choice unless it's the summer time when you can check out East of Suez.

:liplick:

boaterjanie 05-08-2012 01:18 PM

westlake is terrible. i live in wolfeboro and will nver eat there again. i know many people who feel the same way. Seabird is better than westlake by far!

barefootbay 05-08-2012 07:09 PM

You must be confusing West Lake with Seabird as the former is far superior to the latter.Has a large clientele locally and is consistently excellent.

garysanfran 05-09-2012 08:16 PM

Phu Jee - Meredith

I typically don't eat at Asian inspired restaurants outside of San Francisco and Asia.

A couple of years ago I tried Phu Jee on Main St. in Meredith and I was not disappointed. They had no Pu-Pu Platters and they didn't confuse the menu by serving sushi. Pure, typical Chinese menu. Fresh. Good service.

For this area, this is a place I will return soon, now that I have been reminded.

Thank you...

BroadHopper 05-10-2012 07:03 AM

San Francisco Kitchen

In downtown Nashua is Asian, San Francisco style food. This is well woth the trip from the highway if you come up Route 3 from or to the lake.

gtagrip 05-10-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 181677)
In downtown Nashua is Asian, San Francisco style food. This is well woth the trip from the highway if you come up Route 3 from or to the lake.

Becareful Broadhopper, this restaurant is not in the lakes region and could be considered irrelalvant by some! :emb:

But you have 2000+ posts, so it's probably O.K.

KPW 05-11-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 181677)

http://sfkitchen.com/

Short stop off your commute, to refuel! Great food. I have been going there for more than 10 years.

patman 05-14-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boaterjanie (Post 181539)
i know many people who feel the same way. Seabird is better than westlake by far!

Agreed. West Lake has a nicer dining room...Sea Bird has the better food. Food wins :D

On the topic of Japanese, Moritomo's in Concord (Shaw's plaza on Ft. Eddy Road) is excellent. They have several hibachi tables, sushi, private screened rooms, the whole works. Mmmm...sushi!

barefootbay 05-14-2012 07:11 PM

Wrong !!!!

Barbara 05-15-2012 10:16 AM

My vote is for West Lake....love it!!!!!

Peter 05-16-2012 11:03 AM

Love Westlake!

barefootbay 05-16-2012 07:38 PM

It's the best !

Bigstan 05-19-2012 08:34 PM

Taipei Osaka

Best Asian fusion you can get in the lakes region. Sushi choices in this area are limited, TO does not disappoint. Cantonese dishes are great too, not too greasy or salty.

Thumbs Up!

dt5150 06-29-2012 08:59 AM

got some take out from china garden last night. we usually go to TO in gilford but wanted to try something different. none of us were impressed. the wife didn't like the crab rangoon. i didn't like the egg rolls. the gen gaos chicken wasn't very good either. the only thing i liked better than TO was the fried rice. everything else we had wasn't as good at TO. and it was way more expensive. we dropped $72 on gen gaos chicken, fried rice, chicken fingers, egg rolls, and 2 orders of crab rangoon. they're definitely more $ than TO.

Irrigation Guy 06-29-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 181650)
I typically don't eat at Asian inspired restaurants outside of San Francisco and Asia.

A couple of years ago I tried Phu Jee on Main St. in Meredith and I was not disappointed. They had no Pu-Pu Platters and they didn't confuse the menu by serving sushi. Pure, typical Chinese menu. Fresh. Good service.

For this area, this is a place I will return soon, now that I have been reminded.

Thank you...

Phu Jee is very good. Love their General Gau's(strictly white meat) mmmmmmmm. :liplick:

pjs1342 06-29-2012 08:39 PM

china bistro laconia

Argie's Wife 07-01-2012 09:58 PM

JP China in Alton Bay has improved with the new ownership and they have quite a night life going there now with live music several nights each week. They're not fancy - just good, solid, Chinese food. The staff is great and the drinks are generally on the strong side - whoever made my dry martini a few nights ago should have had a better tip than I left her - it was a work of art.

Not quite in the Lakes Region, but close is a great little Chinese restaurant in Farmington - Imperial Garden. I find their food to be less heavy than JP China's and just a notch better. The Arglets like their wings and ribs better (the oldest Arglet can eat his weight in their fried rice!)

Overlake97 07-02-2012 12:53 PM

Green Ginger in Tilton

We usually drive all the way from Gilford to the Green Ginger in Tilton for Chinese food. :) Other places mentioned above are good, but somehow we usually just keep driving right past them.

Greene's Basin Girl 07-03-2012 12:37 PM

The food at the Green Ginger is delicious!!!!

WJT2 07-07-2012 11:54 AM

West Lake in Wolfeboro is the BEST, I look forward to at least one visit anytime in the area.
WJT2

bumble71 07-09-2012 10:09 AM

Phu gee

Phu gee in Meredith is the place to eat! Always
Fresh and cooked to order. They've been
Around for 20 years and there's a reason.

Happy Gourmand 07-10-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumble71 (Post 185849)

I agree. We had guests last week and we felt like some Chinese food one night. We stopped there for take out on our way back from boating. We ordered and were told it would be 20 minutes. Our guest asked why so long and was told that "we do everything fresh". I told him that's why we come here. It was all delicious, as usual.

tgresla 07-10-2012 03:33 PM

??? on Route 16 in Ossippee

Stopped on the way back from Conway at a log building on route 16. Food was quite good and the decor was upscale compared to most Chinese restaurants. Does anyone know the place?

Irrigation Guy 07-10-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumble71 (Post 185849)

Phu Jee is excellent. Their General Gau's cannot be out done. :liplick:

garysanfran 07-10-2012 08:18 PM

Phu Jee - Meredith

I have posted about Phu Jee before. Wonderful place on Main St. I strongly recommend it! It's a Chinese restaurant for those who prefer using chop sticks and, it doesn't serve sushi!

Greene's Basin Girl 07-11-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgresla (Post 185980)
Stopped on the way back from Conway at a log building on route 16. Food was quite good and the decor was upscale compared to most Chinese restaurants. Does anyone know the place?

Was it a Chinese restaurant called the Song Bird?

Water Camper 08-30-2012 03:03 PM

China Bistro

I know you were asking about good chinese food, but we did take out from the China Bistro last Monday evening, only because we were starved and it was close, but I will avoid this place in the future. I was not pleased to say the least.

For what it's worth,
Bill

AKADQ 08-30-2012 04:46 PM

Drinks not the food

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Camper (Post 190128)
I know you were asking about good chinese food, but we did take out from the China Bistro last Monday evening, only because we were starved and it was close, but I will avoid this place in the future. I was not pleased to say the least.

For what it's worth,
Bill

This place was previously known more for it's night club than it's food. I was once told that if you visit the night club and have a few drinks, the food taste better. Not sure if that's true, I stick with China Garden for my food fix :liplick:...

evergreenenvious 09-07-2012 10:22 PM

Shang Hai

I really like Shang Hai Restaurant
331 South Main Street
Laconia

we have been going there for years for New years eve takeout and for my birthday we have a large family so the buffet and the room in the back is great for us. Its affordable and Yummy! :)

And the staff and owners are very friendly too.
http://www.shanghainh.com/

BlackCatIslander 09-10-2012 06:45 PM

Another vote for Phu Jee in Meredith

We love Chinese food! Many years ago when they first opened in what is now the Hanniford's Mall we dined there and enjoyed our meals. After they moved to Main Street, for various reasons we never went back. However, this summer we tried them several times for takeout and all enjoyed the food very much.

Usually, we like to enjoy the food as soon as it leaves the kitchen and do not want to travel very far for take out. The food was still hot and enjoyable after a 15 minute trip back to the island.

Heaven 09-11-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl (Post 185512)
The food at the Green Ginger is delicious!!!!

I was there once and my apps were so good, I was terribly disappointed with the General's chicken which was an exact duplicate of McDonalds chicken nuggets with some terrible sauce. I want my GC's chicken to be real pieces with a crunchy chestnut flour coating with a sweet but quite spicy sauce. Most places in the lakes region do not cook them in this manner. Seabird has better food than West Lake : ) . . .