Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Injury by lightning (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23595)

Sal 07-17-2018 09:03 PM

Injury by lightning

Today's lightning . . . and paucity of boats on the water, got me wondering
whether anyone has been injured (or worse) by a lightning strike, in a
boat, on the water, in recent memory.

I've done a little looking around (poor job) and have found nada.

Can any of you come up with REAL information? :confused:

Biggd 07-18-2018 06:03 AM

Not an injury but I can remember many years ago being on a friends boat out of Gloucester and seeing a lightning storm off in the distance. We were quite a distance away and still the ship to shore radio antenna was singing. The captain told us not to touch anything metal on the boat.:eek:

ApS 07-19-2018 05:12 AM

Dock Near a Sailboat or Pontoon Boat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal (Post 298115)
Today's lightning . . . and paucity of boats on the water, got me wondering whether anyone has been injured (or worse) by a lightning strike, in a boat, on the water, in recent memory. I've done a little looking around (poor job) and have found nada. Can any of you come up with REAL information? :confused:

Quick Google search turned up dozens—just this year! :eek:

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.STc0u1SiscM

A thunderstorm had passed by 20 minutes earlier, when a "bolt out of the blue" hit a small paper-birch tree just 25 feet from my laptop and me on a chair. The bolt sliced through one side of the tree, leaving different sizes of birch bark ringlets hanging on every surrounding branch. :eek:

As it turned out, I wasn't fazed, as there was a monster hemlock between me and the birch; however, this is the second time lightning has struck within 25 feet of me. :eek2:

'Think I'll take up some indoor interests! :emb:

Sal 07-22-2018 08:47 PM

Thank you for the Google info. I should have been more specific. I was
inquiring about lightning injuries on OUR lake.

The Real BigGuy 07-23-2018 07:52 AM

I don’t recall any in my time on the lake but, I’m not going to be the one to challenge Mother Nature or the power of electricity

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ApS 07-23-2018 09:08 AM

"Injured" by Lightning—VERY Infrequent...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal (Post 298505)
Thank you for the Google info. I should have been more specific. I was inquiring about lightning injuries on OUR lake.

Most of our lake people who have been struck by lightning have been silent on the issue. ;)

Doobs41378 07-23-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 298531)
Most of our lake people who have been struck by lightning have been silent on the issue. ;)

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 07-23-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 298531)

This is shocking!

SIKSUKR 07-26-2018 12:04 PM

I had an uncle that got zinged while swimming in a small lake in S NH. He lived. I got caught once in a real nasty storm on my PWC trying to get back to Glendale. Lightning all around me. I was going as fast as I could and the rain at that speed felt like a bb gun was blasting me. The one time I went through the Governors no wake zone at speed. Scary!

DesertDweller 07-26-2018 12:18 PM

Few years back lightning struck a boat at Quayside Yacht Club and it caught on fire which spread to the boat next to it and the dock.

Sal 08-02-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertDweller (Post 298781)
Few years back lightning struck a boat at Quayside Yacht Club and it caught on fire which spread to the boat next to it and the dock.

Thanks for both the serious AND humorous responses.
It seems the denizens of our beautiful lake have been fortunate.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app