Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   More Loons this year? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24618)

BoatHouse 06-28-2019 09:12 PM

More Loons this year?

Not scientific, but there seems to be many more Loons on the lake this year than the past two years. Does anyone know if this is in fact the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Garcia 06-29-2019 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoatHouse (Post 314274)
Not scientific, but there seems to be many more Loons on the lake this year than the past two years. Does anyone know if this is in fact the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

I think so - I see and hear them all the time.

FlyingScot 06-29-2019 07:44 PM

Feels that way to me too. Let's all remember to keep our distance, especially from nests

kawishiwi 06-29-2019 11:34 PM

Get the lead out too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 314317)
Feels that way to me too. Let's all remember to keep our distance, especially from nests

Also, remember lead sinkers & jigs 1oz and under are outlawed in NH. I heard that a single lead split shot can be a fatal dose for an adult Loon.

SAMIAM 06-30-2019 05:05 AM

Picture in yesterdays Sun showed a loon mom with 5 babies.Never seen more than two on my end of the lake.

upthesaukee 06-30-2019 06:36 AM

Not sure it was a loon

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 314329)
Picture in yesterdays Sun showed a loon mom with 5 babies.Never seen more than two on my end of the lake.

I saw the same picture and was amazed by the 5 chicks. Then I looked closer and compared the size of the adult to the buoy floating in the foreground, and felt the adult was too small. Also looked up common loons and they typically lay 1 or 2 eggs, and like you, have never seen or heard of 5 chicks. I also could not see the distinctive white band around the neck of the adult. Finally, loon chicks seem to hold their greyish color and not look like mini-loons until well into summer.

Not sure what waterfowl (duck?) it is, but didn't feel it was a loon. JMO.

Dave

tis 06-30-2019 06:51 AM

I had to find the picture because I have never heard that loons can have five babies either. And in that picture the babies don't look brown which the young loons do for their first season. So I agree with Up and Sam, I don't think they are loons.

Hillcountry 06-30-2019 11:38 AM

I see loons every time I’m on the lake...most times the human loons far outnumber the avian ones...

FlyingScot 06-30-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 314327)
Also, remember lead sinkers & jigs 1oz and under are outlawed in NH. I heard that a single lead split shot can be a fatal dose for an adult Loon.

Good point! Yes, a single shot is enough to poison a loon. Also, when the loon dies and decomposes, the lead is still in the environment to poison another

fatlazyless 07-19-2019 10:07 AM

..... NH loon population is growing

Saturday, July 20 is Loon Appreciation Day at the Loon Center in Moultonborough.

https://www.concordmonitor.com/Loons-27038887 ... 5-photos ... July 18, 2019

'After more than 40 years, loons are making a comeback in N.H.'

Use your imagination here to recall that haunting cry of the loon sound from the 1981 film, On Golden Pond ......with Ethel yelling at Norman .... there they are .... can you hear them!

Lakegeezer 07-24-2019 06:07 AM

Winni Loon article

1 Attachment(s)
In the article referenced above by FLL, Harry Vogel, director of the Loon Preservation Committee (or LPC), mentions that "Lead poisoning from ingested fish tackle has accounted for 44% of all documented adult loon deaths over the last 30 years.'.

Later in the article he also notes that "it's not old lead that's killing the birds - the dense tackle tends to sink into muddy lake floors where loons can't swallow it over time. Lead tackle is still being used illegally, and it's killing birds."

The loon population would be smaller if it wasn't for LPC. The Moultonboro based organization supports loon population growth by floating almost 100 artificial nests in NH waters each year. Their nests protect the eggs from changing water levels, boat wake, flying predators and the summer sun. They also rescue loons that get tangled in fishing line or get stuck in areas they can't take off from.

Loons are a violent species, often killing each other for territory. Predators take their eggs and new born chicks. A four hour old NH loon chick was taken by an eagle earlier this summer and caught on video in a shocking 20 second clip at https://youtu.be/VbZIw1-pHdc .

Sharing habitat with people also creates challenges for the loon population. In addition to the illegal use of lead shot, land development reduces loon nesting habitat and boat wake can wash eggs out of a nest. Next time you hear a loon call in NH, thank LPC.

The free LPC email news letter is a good way to keep up to date with Loon News. You can subscribe to it, and learn much more, at loon.org

Sue Doe-Nym 07-24-2019 10:08 AM

More loons this year?

Glad to hear that there are more loons this year as I would have said the opposite. We are near Ambrose Cove Marina, and I have missed hearing the loons...I love the sound and yes, it reminds me of that wonderful movie ON GOLDEN POND.

Andromeda321 07-31-2019 10:12 AM

Went to the loon festival a few weekends ago, and heard a great talk from the biologists who go out onto the NH lakes to keep track of the loons. Even got to talk to the biologist about "our" loons around Wallace Island and she gave us the skinny about how our loons keep fighting the ones at Salmon Meadow Cove, which is likely why neither has chicks this year- too much fighting with the neighbors!

Loon Center also does a really nice series of talks in the summer on various science and nature topics. Worth checking out if that's your cup of tea!

FlyingScot 08-15-2019 06:42 PM

Weirs Times

Great piece in The Weirs Times today. 44% of loon deaths tied to lead; plus info towards the end on how to trade in your lead for $. And watch out for those eagles!

https://issuu.com/weirspublishing/docs/wtimes081519