Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating Issues (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Yet More Bonehead Captains (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12607)

donnamatrix 07-18-2011 11:44 AM

Yet More Bonehead Captains

Honestly. This happened Saturday 7/16 around 4:30 in Lee's Mills and then in the area going south from LM into Moultonboro Bay. Fellow driving a SeaDoo (think he may live in Lee's Mills), pulling an inflatable with 3 young girls-there were NO SPOTTERS. When he had stopped in the middle of the bay (before Moultonboro Bay), we pulled alongside and my hubby said "Hey, do you know that you are breaking several laws?" And the guy and the kids sneered at us and said "Huh?-what?" Whereupon we reeled off the rules of towing: can only two 2 individuals must have a spotter for each person being towed. I took a picture of him, just have to figure out how to get it outta my camera. We later saw a Marine Patrol Boat going up toward Lee's Mills, so hopefully, the MPs can get this guy on the right course, cause he wasn't interested in listening to us.

codeman671 07-18-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnamatrix (Post 163409)
Honestly. This happened Saturday 7/16 around 4:30 in Lee's Mills and then in the area going south from LM into Moultonboro Bay. Fellow driving a SeaDoo (think he may live in Lee's Mills), pulling an inflatable with 3 young girls-there were NO SPOTTERS. When he had stopped in the middle of the bay (before Moultonboro Bay), we pulled alongside and my hubby said "Hey, do you know that you are breaking several laws?" And the guy and the kids sneered at us and said "Huh?-what?" Whereupon we reeled off the rules of towing: can only two 2 individuals must have a spotter for each person being towed. I took a picture of him, just have to figure out how to get it outta my camera. We later saw a Marine Patrol Boat going up toward Lee's Mills, so hopefully, the MPs can get this guy on the right course, cause he wasn't interested in listening to us.

I believe on a 3 seater jet ski you can only tow 1 person as you need 1 spotter on the machine and a spot to carry the person being towed.

The other day I saw 2 people on a 3 person ski towing 2 people in one tube. They were leaving from the big boat house in Smith Cove, withing sight of MP headquarters!

LIforrelaxin 07-18-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 163424)
I believe on a 3 seater jet ski you can only tow 1 person as you need 1 spotter on the machine and a spot to carry the person being towed.

You would be correct in this thought, so far as I know. You have to have a spot in/on the vessel, for each person behind it.

Donnamatrix,

next time get The bow numbers and call it into the Marine Patrol.... The might not be able to catch them in the act. However with your report they may just pull them over for a safety inspection and talked to them about what you reported.

jrc 07-18-2011 03:05 PM

Ok going to the limit on this, can you have three people on the PWC. One driver and two facing backwards as spotters, and then have two people tubing?

I heard no, because you have to have a place for the tubers on the tow boat, but I can't find any law or rule.

NH_boater 07-18-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnamatrix (Post 163409)
Fellow driving a SeaDoo pulling an inflatable with 3 young girls-there were NO SPOTTERS.

Ignorant adult (presumably) placing three young girls in serious danger. I would like to THANK YOU for taking the time to attempt to educate the adult and to assist those young girls.

Belmont Resident 07-18-2011 06:38 PM

they are everywhere,especially on the roads

Yesterday I was tooling up the bypass on my bike following a line of cars. As usual several tailgaters in the pack were riding bumpers.
As we approached the 35mph sign the Connecticut driver crosses the double solid line and passes the car in front of him. We were already driving at 55 in the 35 zone.
What’s more baffling is he immediately was behind the guy in front of the one he just passed so he got no where.

Sunbeam lodge 07-18-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 163424)

The other day I saw 2 people on a 3 person ski towing 2 people in one tube. They were leaving from the big boat house in Smith Cove, withing sight of MP headquarters!

Your Yamaha is working great and the kids are finally getting to ride on a jet ski. I avoided buying one for 18 years because of the noise but they talked me into it last year.

gravy boat 07-18-2011 08:29 PM

Boneheads

A wise man once said, "you can't fix stupid."

ApS 07-19-2011 04:07 AM

Those Awkward PWC Regulations...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrc (Post 163450)
Ok going to the limit on this, can you have three people on the PWC. One driver and two facing backwards as spotters, and then have two people tubing?

I heard no, because you have to have a place for the tubers on the tow boat, but I can't find any law or rule.

It would follow logically, that five on a PWC would exceed the typical PWC's stated capacity.

(But would not necessarily be ticketed when two are on the tube, and not on the PWC). :confused:

4Fun 07-19-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acres per Second (Post 163499)
It would follow logically, that five on a PWC would exceed the typical PWC's stated capacity.

(But would not necessarily be ticketed when two are on the tube, and not on the PWC). :confused:

Back in the old days I used to tow a tube behind my 300cc stand up Jetski. :eek: The police would come down to the launch and say "Looks like fun"

Never really had to look back because if the person fell off I would pick up about 10MPH instantly.:laugh: