Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   ...painting your island? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7868)

fatlazyless 06-11-2009 12:06 PM

...painting your island?

As everybody knows, waterfronters who live on the mainland, with maybe a couple exceptions, simply do not do their own painting. About the only thing they lift up, is the telephone when they call a painter, and then again when they lift up their check book. Islanders however, are a different breed who actually like to do some painting...you know...maybe a deck, a dock, a fence, a shed...something like that.

Which is why I thought I would pass this along. Right now, Heath's Hdwre over in Centre Harbor, has about 100 gallons of Ben Moore alkyd oil paint for decks and siding in different shades of grey, brown, white, green, & red which have been discontinued. Reg $35......now $5/gal.....all setting outside on a wood skid....the real good stuff....Moorewood alkyd solid color and semi-transparent and siding paint....being discontinued because it is oil paint and has now been replaced with latex. In my opinion, the oil paint is better than latex for docks, decks, fences etc.

Now, when the heck will the weather get going into summer and be warmer and drier.....making it good painting weather? Just make sure you get Heath's to shake that paint for a good five minutes because it is oil paint, and it get very separated out, sitting on the shelf for a year or two or three.

LIforrelaxin 06-11-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 97018)
As everybody knows, waterfronters who live on the mainland, with maybe a couple exceptions, simply do not do their own painting. About the only thing they lift up, is the telephone when they call a painter, and then again when they lift up their check book. Islanders however, are a different breed who actually like to do some painting...you know...maybe a deck, a dock, a fence, a shed...something like that.

Well FLL at least you qualified your statement here with "with maybe a couple exceptions" other wise I would have to think about selling and moving out to an island, as I do all my own work.

As for 5$ paint whahooo.... with the exception that it is oil based..............

fatlazyless 06-14-2009 03:50 PM

...re-sod your island?

Too wet and cold for oil paint'n what with its' longer dry'n time? Here's a thought......re-sod a small piece of your yard with Lowe's-Gilford's 2' x 5' green grass sod. All rolled up and ready to unroll onto some special spot on the yard for that good grass look that your yard is definately lacking......:eek:....and just $4.99/roll....what a deal......:D!

fatlazyless 06-16-2009 05:30 PM

...it's painting time!

....looks like the weather finally cleared up enough for the next 24 hours to get out there and get those rollers rolling, and brushs brushing...it's painting time....finally....better paint fast though....because the WMUR weather guy says it looks like rain showers will return for wednesday night, thursday, friday, saturday, & sunday....but don't believe everything you hear from the weather guy...

....anyway....on your mark, get set, GO...... time to paint...everyone loves to paint especially with that 5-dollar Ben Moore paint deal at Heath's Hardware......:D