Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Introducing Winni.wiki (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28102)

VeryGeneric 07-08-2022 10:16 AM

Introducing Winni.wiki

Hi everyone! I'll admit, I'm new to these forums, but I figured a home of knowledgeable boaters and long-time lake goers was probably the best place to post this.

I noticed yesterday that there wasn't a wiki for information specific to Lake Winnipesaukee, so I decided to create one. As a bonus, the domain winni.wiki hadn't already been registered. :cool:

And so, I'd like to introduce you all to https://winni.wiki

Please feel free to suggest/create pages and topics, and share your experience! I'm hopeful we can build an awesome resource for lakers new and old. :)

TiltonBB 07-08-2022 11:28 AM

I would find that website unnecessary and a duplication of the information available on this site.

This site is informative and well managed and has a long history of being loaded with information about the lake and surrounding areas.

It is all I need!

thinkxingu 07-08-2022 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeryGeneric (Post 372744)
Hi everyone! I'll admit, I'm new to these forums, but I figured a home of knowledgeable boaters and long-time lake goers was probably the best place to post this.

I noticed yesterday that there wasn't a wiki for information specific to Lake Winnipesaukee, so I decided to create one. As a bonus, the domain winni.wiki hadn't already been registered. :cool:

And so, I'd like to introduce you all to https://winni.wiki

Please feel free to suggest/create pages and topics, and share your experience! I'm hopeful we can build an awesome resource for lakers new and old. :)

I don't understand—what would this be for/add?

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

FlyingScot 07-08-2022 12:00 PM

Hi VG,

I'm sure your heart's in the right place on this, but I also hope you'll integrate with the Forum instead of a separate thing that may be dilutive

Susie Cougar 07-08-2022 12:03 PM

I agree with what everyone else has been saying. We already have this wonderful site called the Winnepesaukee forum. There is no need to start another one.

Descant 07-08-2022 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 372749)
I don't understand—what would this be for/add?

The Forum works on discussion, opinion and some speculation. We trust known posters and links for facts. I would expect a "wiki" site to deal only in factual information with references and footnotes. Probably a lot of issues already covered by Wikipedia. BUT. As an example, I Googled Lake Shore Park NH for Wikipedia and the closest reference was to the Winnipesaukee Forum for LSP History.
I'd have a better understanding of Winni.wiki's place if the creator could give some examples or post a few items to set the tone.

Mr. V 07-08-2022 12:57 PM

Wiki is like an online encyclopedia, not a forum / message board.

Use it for objective info, not to express personal opinion.

VeryGeneric 07-08-2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 372751)
Hi VG,

I'm sure your heart's in the right place on this, but I also hope you'll integrate with the Forum instead of a separate thing that may be dilutive

I'm not quite sure what that would entail, but I absolutely don't want to split out where information can be found. That's why I decided to make this thread.

VeryGeneric 07-08-2022 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 372755)
The Forum works on discussion, opinion and some speculation. We trust known posters and links for facts. I would expect a "wiki" site to deal only in factual information with references and footnotes. Probably a lot of issues already covered by Wikipedia. BUT. As an example, I Googled Lake Shore Park NH for Wikipedia and the closest reference was to the Winnipesaukee Forum for LSP History.
I'd have a better understanding of Winni.wiki's place if the creator could give some examples or post a few items to set the tone.

Exactly. There are little things here and there, for example, facts about my own beloved Big Barndoor, which I can only find on websites like that of real estate agencies or by asking old-timers who have a knack for remembering old things.

Also, as another commenter is concerned about contributing to the forum, I'm not trying to discredit any information posted here. In fact, as I've seen, many long-time forum users seem to know their stuff more than enough to be used as references on pages.

One main use-case I can think of other than people who want to find out really obscure things like I do with Barndoor, I think, would be people looking for tidbits about Lake Winni as an outsider moving to/touring the general Winni area.

Again, I'm very open as to how we might use the knowledge of people on this forum and beyond to create a useful resource. (Especially for people like my mother who're hopeless in regards to forum etiquette and searching thru old threads. :laugh:)

The Real BigGuy 07-08-2022 01:59 PM

VeryGeneric - kudos to you for coming up with a novel way to look at Winni. It’s unfortunate that you got initial responses that reflect New Englanders reluctance to give new ideas a chance.

I think Descant made Avery good point. If you would post a couple of things in Winni.wiki (a history of Big Barndoor??) people would have a better idea what your vision is.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

VeryGeneric 07-08-2022 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 372764)
VeryGeneric - kudos to you for coming up with a novel way to look at Winni. It’s unfortunate that you got initial responses that reflect New Englanders reluctance to give new ideas a chance.

I think Descant made Avery good point. If you would post a couple of things in Winni.wiki (a history of Big Barndoor??) people would have a better idea what your vision is.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Yeah, I suppose I should've taken that into account. I do plan on expanding the stub I wrote about Barndoor, I just ran out of steam trying to figure out how to best lay-out the main page.

Bear Guy 07-09-2022 06:47 AM

For consideration, are existing Wikipedia entries around Lake Winni. For example, these Islands of Winni: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._Winnipesaukee
Though not encyclopedic, the content is factual with footnotes.

VeryGeneric 07-10-2022 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Guy (Post 372795)
For consideration, are existing Wikipedia entries around Lake Winni. For example, these Islands of Winni: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._Winnipesaukee
Though not encyclopedic, the content is factual with footnotes.

This does seem like a pretty good format with factual content. I'd love to try to make a source with similar quality, and expand beyond what the main wikipedia feels is worth indexing.

Susie Cougar 07-10-2022 11:46 AM

I wish you would give an example or ask a question to get things started.

If you’re trying to make it simpler for people like your mother, and I’m sure I’m your mother’s age, it seems like you’re making it harder to me. I just need to understand what it is that you’re trying to do.

You have mentioned Barndoor Island, but have not told us any information about it or what other information you may be looking for. I had to Google it to find out where it was. I never would’ve guessed it was around Wolfeboro.

I’m trying to have an open mind because we all have areas that we are more knowledgeable about and other areas that we know nothing about. Could you post some information and ask a question about Barndoor Island?

Lakeboater 07-10-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 372889)
I wish you would give an example or ask a question to get things started.

If you’re trying to make it simpler for people like your mother, and I’m sure I’m your mother’s age, it seems like you’re making it harder to me. I just need to understand what it is that you’re trying to do.

You have mentioned Barndoor Island, but have not told us any information about it or what other information you may be looking for. I had to Google it to find out where it was. I never would’ve guessed it was around Wolfeboro.

I’m trying to have an open mind because we all have areas that we are more knowledgeable about and other areas that we know nothing about. Could you post some information and ask a question about Barndoor Island?

Barndoor Island is actually in the town of Alton near Wolfeboro

tis 07-11-2022 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeboater (Post 372905)
Barndoor Island is actually in the town of Alton near Wolfeboro

Agree, but is any part of it in Wolfeboro? I know it is served by the Wolfeboro Electric Dept. At least part of it is. Little Barn Door is in Wolfeboro I think.

Stilljester 07-11-2022 06:49 AM

Barndoor lsland & Little Barndoor Island are not part of Wolfeboro.

tis 07-11-2022 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stilljester (Post 372918)
Barndoor lsland & Little Barndoor Island are not part of Wolfeboro.

You are right. I don't know why I was thinking Little was in Wolfeboro. It's tough to get old. Sometimes it makes you wonder how they decided which islands or which part of each island would be in which town.

Descant 07-11-2022 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 372919)
You are right. I don't know why I was thinking Little was in Wolfeboro. It's tough to get old. Sometimes it makes you wonder how they decided which islands or which part of each island would be in which town.

And I "think" all the Varney Islands are in Alton, but I bet the first fireboat to arrive in an emergency would be from Wolfeboro. So, as is often the case, we have some varying opinions. A fact based entry on winni.wiki might resolve such issues, but there should be no place there for what people "think".

Stilljester 07-11-2022 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 372919)

No worries, you're in good company. I actually checked the Wolfeboro tax maps just to be 100% sure. Figured the infamous tax man would know best :-)

VeryGeneric 07-17-2022 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stilljester (Post 372948)
No worries, you're in good company. I actually checked the Wolfeboro tax maps just to be 100% sure. Figured the infamous tax man would know best :-)

Yeah, on Big Barndoor we've got an Alton address and pay Alton tax. We are also served by wolfeboro electric, as someone else mentioned