Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Diving Winnipesaukee (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Lake Winnisquam 2022 Fall diving (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28267)

oldflounder 08-28-2022 07:56 PM

Lake Winnisquam 2022 Fall diving

I am hoping to get away from the ocean and get back into lake diving again this summer and fall. I will post when I will be going and hopefully some of you may wish to meet up with me and join in some shallow SD/SO dives at Ahern until the frigid water hits.

oldflounder 08-29-2022 02:08 PM

Pot Island tomorrow

Going to Pot Island tomorrow to explore shallows at noon.

WinnisquamZ 08-29-2022 04:29 PM

I believe it’s Potts Island. Anyhow, it’s a mystery to me why it isn’t occupied or used in someway. Haven’t seen a soul in five seasons. Years ago I was informed it’s owned by a older couple in Laconia.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

oldflounder 08-29-2022 07:04 PM

Liability. insurance, permits, environmental impact issues. Gone are those days back in the 50's when you could just homestead on an island for the summer and no one worried about it.

oldflounder 08-29-2022 07:26 PM

Is it Pot Island or Potts Island? As a local resident I am sure you are probably right [historically] but all the maps I see [and google] say it is called Pot island. Somewhere along the way the name may have been changed. I haven't dug deep enough into the local history to find the Potts family but it would make sense to name it after a prior owner and not a kitchen utensil.

WinnisquamZ 08-29-2022 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldflounder (Post 375730)
Is it Pot Island or Potts Island? As a local resident I am sure you are probably right [historically] but all the maps I see [and google] say it is called Pot island. Somewhere along the way the name may have been changed. I haven't dug deep enough into the local history to find the Potts family but it would make sense to name it after a prior owner and not a kitchen utensil.

Will pull out my old map and check. Give me a few minutes

WinnisquamZ 08-29-2022 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 375732)
Will pull out my old map and check. Give me a few minutes

I was mistaken. Haven’t pulled this map out for years. It is named Pot on the oldest map I have from ‘66

Attachment 17754

WinnisquamZ 08-29-2022 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 17755

oldflounder 08-29-2022 08:58 PM

The history of that name is curious.

oldflounder 08-30-2022 06:13 AM

I like this site http://www.gpsnauticalcharts.com/mai...cal-chart.html for underwater contours.

oldflounder 09-02-2022 04:16 PM

Tomorrow [Saturday] will hopefully be arriving around 9:30 at Ahern to do some exploring of the underwater terrain. Nubble is going to be a zoo w/ divers and tourists on a holiday weekend. Not to mention the traffic. Won't be going near that place!

oldflounder 09-09-2022 09:13 PM

Will be going to Ahern mid-morning tomorrow [Saturday] if my head cold has passed by then. Otherwise maybe Sunday. Water is still comfortable.

oldflounder 09-11-2022 07:03 PM

Went yesterday and today. Water is 75 surface and comfortable. Viz is 15' +. Still bathing suit conditions, if so minded, for a short shallow dive.

oldflounder 09-15-2022 03:16 PM

I plan to go to Ahern again this Saturday mid-morning. I'll post the lake conditions afterwards. Water should start to cool off in the next couple weeks so I want to use the thin suit as much as I can before that happens.