Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Moultonborough Library (Virtual) Author Talk (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26677)

thinkxingu 01-12-2021 06:41 PM

Moultonborough Library (Virtual) Author Talk
 
Hey, Friends!
One of my most favoritest books ever is Ty Gagne's Where You'll Find Me. In it, the author examines risk and decision making using the tragedy of Kate Matrosova, a young woman who froze to death while traversing the Presidential Range.
His newest book, The Last Traverse—which I've just started—focuses on a similar tragedy occurring on the Franconia Ridge.
I really love his style and the way he tells the stories with equal parts warning, sympathy, and empathy—not an easy task when dealing with death in preventable circumstances.
On Thursday the 21st, the Moultonborough Library has a virtual author talk with Gagne at 6:30, for anyone who might be interested. I saw him give a talk a couple years back and he, again, did a wonderful job presenting with balance.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Sue Doe-Nym 01-12-2021 08:36 PM

Love that library!
 
We are so fortunate to have such a fabulous library in our little town. During normal times, which this is not, that is a great place to go....special programs, great book selection, helpful staff (patient,too with tech-challenged adults). I look forward to returning there regularly when the pandemic is under control.

FlyingScot 01-13-2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 349138)
We are so fortunate to have such a fabulous library in our little town. During normal times, which this is not, that is a great place to go....special programs, great book selection, helpful staff (patient,too with tech-challenged adults). I look forward to returning there regularly when the pandemic is under control.

One of the amazing things about the internet age is that it has not destroyed the libraries. It is remarkable how vital and busy they still are, even in communities where everyone is online every day. We live next door to one. I can't believe the "business" they pull in

thinkxingu 01-15-2021 05:28 AM

A friend of mine attended Gagne's virtual presentation (through a different library) last night and said it was great. He discussed the part of his book where he connects heuristic techniques to the decision-making of the two hikers, which is part of his approach I love so much about his books.

I've also connected with the author to discuss a presentation for my students. I'm not entirely sure how I would connect the two, but I'm leaning towards drawing parallels between the resilience of the hikers and the need to be resilient through the pandemic. A work in progress!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

rsmlp 01-15-2021 07:23 AM

Thanks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 349135)
Hey, Friends!
One of my most favoritest books ever is Ty Gagne's Where You'll Find Me. In it, the author examines risk and decision making using the tragedy of Kate Matrosova, a young woman who froze to death while traversing the Presidential Range.
His newest book, The Last Traverse—which I've just started—focuses on a similar tragedy occurring on the Franconia Ridge.
I really love his style and the way he tells the stories with equal parts warning, sympathy, and empathy—not an easy task when dealing with death in preventable circumstances.
On Thursday the 21st, the Moultonborough Library has a virtual author talk with Gagne at 6:30, for anyone who might be interested. I saw him give a talk a couple years back and he, again, did a wonderful job presenting with balance.

Cheers!

Just bought a copy on amazon. No kindle though

thinkxingu 01-15-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 349196)
Just bought a copy on amazon. No kindle though

Local author that looks self-published, so it makes sense.

Lemme know your thoughts!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

rsmlp 01-22-2021 04:07 PM

The Last Traverse
 
Just finished this great book. Must read for anyone engaged in mountaineering especially in the winter. I cannot recommend this book too highly. Making it mandatory reading for my youngest son who does some of this crazy s*&t.

thinkxingu 01-23-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 349515)
Just finished this great book. Must read for anyone engaged in mountaineering especially in the winter. I cannot recommend this book too highly. Making it mandatory reading for my youngest son who does some of this crazy s*&t.

Grabbed a down quilt while at Sierra Trading Post tonight in response to reading the book. I'm beyond winter Ridge traverses at this point, but I get in about 6-7 winter hikes, so it's a worthy addition to my emergency bivy.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book—definitely read his other book and article, they're both as good or better than The Last Traverse.

Finally, I've connected with and am working with the author to arrange a virtual visit to my classroom—hopefully in the next couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.